Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 328: "Disney Genie" digital offering announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:26 pm

^ That reads like it will be closed on April 19th.

Is there any news of an on board audio system? Really that seems to be the big thing missing that has enchanced the other versions. It seemed weird to go on the Tokyo version with all it's new "updates" and have no audio system.

It really felt like something was missing and everytime I go on the Florida version, even though it's my favorite of all Space Mountain's, without the audio it really feels like it is lacking something.

--Robb

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:36 pm

I've always preferred the California version (especially after they added the music), but I had a great ride on Florida's last October. Adding music, along with the new track, would be great.

On the other side of the camera

Postby WillMontu » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:36 pm

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Hopefully they can make the ride more reliable so that the whole ride doesn't e-stop when one train has a problem.

But whatever they do, don't ruin our PeopleMover!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby scruffy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:11 pm

The People Mover or TTA will also be down with Space Mountain. Disney updated the rides that are down page lastnight.

Link

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby ms13 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Darn it... :x
Ill be going down to Orlando for the first time in May, and Ill be missing one of the classic rides....
No real loss in the Hall of Presidents I guess, though ;)

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:00 pm

My only gripe about Space Mountain at WDW was that it can be a bit rough, but I do like its layout and will be glad to see it remain the same.

However, I wonder if the configuration of track/trains will remain the same; that is, the 3+3 inline seating and narrow "Matterhorn-esque" track. Most likely, I'd guess, unless they do add an onboard sound systems which would require a beefier track for the heavier trains.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:13 pm

While the improvements will be great for the ride, I'm a little disappointed that I will be unable to ride Space Mountain if/when I go to WDW this year. Space Mountain was one of the rides I was looking foreword to riding the most, but now I'l have to wait even longer to finally get the credit.

I understand that new effects will be added, but what does the track replacement mean? Will this be an entirely new coaster, or will only the pieces that ned to be replaced be replaced?

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:36 pm

From reading the rumor blogs, it seems like the initial plans for installing the full sound/SFX package from DLR has been shelved in favor of just a minor cosmetic refresh due to economic concerns.
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:54 pm

^Yeah, but this is a step in the right direction. Economy or not, now it will be a quicker refurb in the future if they decide to add audio to the cars instead of doing EVERYTHING at once and having the ride down for like a bazillion years as they did at Disneyland.

Like we're discussing in the Everest Yeti thread, WDW does not like to have rides down for an extended period of time. Having it down for two shorter periods years apart is a better idea.

"Been Around The World And Realized Only Stupid People Are Breeding"

Postby packfanlv » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:29 pm

I know the early rumors called for this to be in the same vein as the DL refurb, but with the economy, they have opted for a cheaper redo. I also wonder if they will replace the entire track structure or just parts that need work.

I much prefer the Disneyland version to WDW's and agree with Robb that sound should be something they add in the near future. Riding both the WDW and TDR versions I definitely noticed something missing. Both the DL and HKDL versions provide a superior experience simply because of their onboard sound.

My only disappointment with this shortened refurb was that they don't have the money for something major like was originally rumored two years ago. With the size of the dome, they could've changed the ride to one track that is double wide and created a wonderful new Space Mountain that would've been enormous. (Of course this plan may have never actually been on the table given that it was a rumor.) Oh well, the ride is pretty darn good the way it is.
I write about how to travel the world for pennies on the dollar at Miles To Memories!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!