Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 328: "Disney Genie" digital offering announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:51 pm

I don't have the exact numbers Robb, but along with Bugs/Muppets/Screamin' (running at full capacity) I'd think it's right there as the top 3-4 people-eating attractions at DCA.

So yes, it doesn't get a line, but when it was soft opened and during the AP Previews there was indeed a line.

Gregg "Waited 60 minutes for Mermaid on a preview day and haven't waited more than 15 minutes since" C.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Double0Kevin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Ugh... Some Disney fans make the rest of us look like total assholes. I think Florida's looks great. The ride is awesome, it's a must ride every time I'm at DCA. I think both parks look great on the outside. Imagineers designed both to fit in with the intended theme of their respective lands. Yes, the Florida version's queue is a bit more fun to look at, but it's not like DCA's destroys the ride. When it comes down to it, it's the ride that makes or breaks the whole thing. Mermaid is a solid ride and I'm glad people in Florida get to experience it now.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:32 pm

To be fair, any queue would destroy the DCA one! It's just a bunch of switch backs under a building!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:44 pm

^ LOL! Agreed!

^^ See, in the case of a ride like this, I disagree. I think the queue has a lot to do with setting up the story, atmosphere, etc. For example, every time I walk into the Nemo queue at Epcot, I can really get into the atmosphere of the attraction even before I step into the ride vehicle.

I felt the same way about Little Mermaid today. The queue really helped set things up, whereas the DCA version, like Elissa said, was just a bunch of switchbacks in a building, no set up, no atmosphere at all.

And sure, a ride doesn't NEED to have an elaborate queue to be good, but it certainly does help. I mean, a nice queue isn't going to help a turd of a ride be any better, but a nice queue can certainly enhance a decent attraction and this is a perfect example.

--Robb

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:49 pm

^ You mean the Nemo queue at Disneyland doesn't do anything for you? ;)

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Sir Clinksalot wrote:^ You mean the Nemo queue at Disneyland doesn't do anything for you? ;)

Other than make me want to go visit a different attraction? No. :p

--Robb "It took me 4 years before finally going on DL's Nemo and I haven't ridden it since!" Alvey

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:05 pm

^ I haven't ridden it since opening year. If I want to see a movie I'll go see Muppets or Bugs. ;)

I think it's funny how everybody bashes the un-themed queue lines at Six Flags/CF when there are a LOT of unthemed queues at Disney (mostly in CA).

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby xmichellex » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Thanks again for all the great pics and video... I really loved following along on Twitter today!

I can't believe how great the new area looks -- the Little Mermaid stuff looks amazing, but Beauty and the Beast is one of my all time favorite movies and I am just in awe at what they've done. It's definitely my equivalent of the WWofHP at Universal!

I'm so excited to see how the Snow White stuff turns out... Disney definitely brought their A-game for this expansion, I'm so happy it's all coming together even better than I thought it would!
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Top Thrill (CP), i305 (KD), Kumba (BGT), Cali. Screamin' (DCA)
Top 5 Wood: El Toro (SFGAdv), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Lightning Racer (Hershey), Beast (KI), Yankee Cannonball (Canobie Lake)
Total Credits: 141

Full Fledged Hand Dryer enthusiast

Postby grinch1313 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:27 pm

This attraction looks amazing. I've watched the video three times now and I especially can't wait to see it in person. As someone who was a 9-year-old girl when the movie came out, I'm totally freaking out. My inner child could not be happier. The Little Mermaid has always remained my favorite Disney movie.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby azza29 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:18 pm

robbalvey wrote:I felt the same way about Little Mermaid today. The queue really helped set things up, whereas the DCA version, like Elissa said, was just a bunch of switchbacks in a building, no set up, no atmosphere at all.

I was floored when I saw those pics of the WDW queue, looks fantastic and probably takes the ride from 3 stars to 4 in my book. I don't recall ever spending much time in line at DCA but apart from the mural that queuing area isn't terribly memorable.

Some of comments on the POV are priceless, but then again Youtube is hardly a bastion of rational debate and conversation to begin with. I'm not sure why people expect these rides to present a full retelling of the story in two minutes, in my mind it's always a "here's some memorable scenes from the film" sort of thing.

And what is there is done exceptionally well - the Under the Sea scene in particular looks great in the video but absolutely has to be seen in person. From memory the WDW and DCA versions look pretty much the same, did you notice anything different during the ride?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!