Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 958 - Kentucky Flyer POV Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 13 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
2 + 2 = donkey!

Re: Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Postby mikeykaise » Wed May 01, 2019 10:01 am

The other thing that helped is it had down poured a couple of times during the media event which made the ride even better.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:28 pm

A quick glance at RCDB, every other taller coaster in the park hits somewhere in the 50-55 mph range. If you've ridden them all, you might have a better understanding of how that sense of speed compares to KY Flyer. Doesn't ignore the fact that it still has great pacing for its size. Every element being so compact and sudden makes for such a small coaster still maintaining its fun factor.

A bit of a deviation, but I find it neat in the fact that Kentucky Kingdom was able to premiere and get attention for a coaster of this size at a time where the only other new coaster "competing" for attention was a 200+ft B&M dive up in Canada.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby tndank » Mon May 13, 2019 6:33 pm

Swung by KK on my way home from Kings Island on Sunday. Not many people there as expected. Rain shut down most rides for about 30 minutes at one point while we were there. They did keep Thunder Run going in the rain.

The workers were nice. Didn't have to walk around after rides. Could hop to different seats between rides. Rode the Flyer a few times in the back without getting up. Same for Storm Chaser and Thunder Run. Spent about 3 hours there and got in a dozen rides, I think.

I had read their drop tower was actually pretty good. Ended my visit there and I agree. It's a good one. I liked the fairly instant drop once you hit the top.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Tue May 14, 2019 6:44 am

Midgetman82 wrote:A quick glance at RCDB, every other taller coaster in the park hits somewhere in the 50-55 mph range. If you've ridden them all, you might have a better understanding of how that sense of speed compares to KY Flyer. Doesn't ignore the fact that it still has great pacing for its size. Every element being so compact and sudden makes for such a small coaster still maintaining its fun factor.

A bit of a deviation, but I find it neat in the fact that Kentucky Kingdom was able to premiere and get attention for a coaster of this size at a time where the only other new coaster "competing" for attention was a 200+ft B&M dive up in Canada.

Anybody who thinks that a family who lives in Kentucky is basing their trip to Kentucky Kingdom on what is going on up in Canada just doesn't understand how our amusement park industry works.

Disney and Universal can affect families decisions across the country potentially, but typically, for the other parks -- unless you're an enthusiast -- you tend to stick to the parks in a 100 mile radius or less. You won't necessarily get in a plane to go to a park because it has a coaster better than the one at your home park.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Intamin_coyote » Tue May 14, 2019 6:53 am

^I don't think he thinks nor was trying to suggest that.

Hence quotation marks around "competing"...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:13 am

I think he was making a point about all of the hype this coaster generated despite it's small size. It was easy to understand. But, he clearly doesn't understand how our amusement park industry works.

Postby Midgetman82 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Nah, I totally meant Kentucky families are packing their passports to hit up a park 9 hours north in another country.

Joking aside, yes, I meant the hype around the rides. Particularly online (cuz that's honestly one of the only ways I can base things like that). If this debuted the same year as, say, some potentially massive project a few hours away, it potentially wouldn't get as much attention.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Wed May 15, 2019 5:18 am

Midgetman82 wrote:Nah, I totally meant Kentucky families are packing their passports to hit up a park 9 hours north in another country.

Joking aside, yes, I meant the hype around the rides. Particularly online (cuz that's honestly one of the only ways I can base things like that). If this debuted the same year as, say, some potentially massive project a few hours away, it potentially wouldn't get as much attention.

I completely misread the post. I must have missed my morning coffee that morning. My bad.That's on me.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby WolfBobs » Wed May 15, 2019 5:38 am

Midgetman82 wrote:Joking aside, yes, I meant the hype around the rides. Particularly online (cuz that's honestly one of the only ways I can base things like that). If this debuted the same year as, say, some potentially massive project a few hours away, it potentially wouldn't get as much attention.

Judging a rides hype from online forums that specifically focus on amusement parks is probably not the best way to judge a rides hype. You're focusing on a bunch of nerds and fanboys who follow the industry with a constant eye and will hype any new ride. Just always remember we are not the majority of guests for parks or for this industry but a very small but focused and passionate percentage.

The vast majority of guests at any regional amusement park probably have never been to another park outside of vacations to Orlando and don't follow the industry. If you went to a shopping mall in the Louisville area and randomly polled 1,000 people you may be surprised how few know anything about Kentucky Flyer let alone Yukon Striker. Yet if you came on here and polled 1,000 people you'd get obnoxiously different results.

Postby Midgetman82 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:54 am

I've been pretty absent on forums lately, to be quite honest, so most of it is attention or hype brought on by bouncing around social media. (Though I'll admit I'm still not away from fanboys/enthusiasts/regulars/etc there.)

And I don't take all this too seriously. They're just things I've seen, nothing more nothing less.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!