Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Re: Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Postby DarienLaker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:17 pm

If they decide to have Kentucky Kingdom operate solely as a water park do you think they would use the existing water park and demolish part of the "dry" park for a parking lot or demolish the "dry" park and leave the existing water park SBNO and just build new slides and pools for it?
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Chittlins » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:37 pm

DarienLaker wrote:If they decide to have Kentucky Kingdom operate solely as a water park do you think they would use the existing water park and demolish part of the "dry" park for a parking lot or demolish the "dry" park and leave the existing water park SBNO and just build new slides and pools for it?

I think folks are reading something that isn't there(going to all water park) and there's a good deal of "wishing" it to fail so their doubts that it would reopen would be realized.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby dj snow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:45 pm

DarienLaker wrote:If they decide to have Kentucky Kingdom operate solely as a water park do you think they would use the existing water park and demolish part of the "dry" park for a parking lot

If there's one thing this place doesn't need, it's more parking.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:32 am

Chittlins wrote:
DarienLaker wrote:If they decide to have Kentucky Kingdom operate solely as a water park do you think they would use the existing water park and demolish part of the "dry" park for a parking lot or demolish the "dry" park and leave the existing water park SBNO and just build new slides and pools for it?

I think folks are reading something that isn't there(going to all water park) and there's a good deal of "wishing" it to fail so their doubts that it would reopen would be realized.

No one here is wishing for it to fail. But lets look at the bigger picture: Holiday World, Beech Bend, and Kings Island are three major competitors all within "daycation" range of the park...and instead of making a big splash, his first focus is on the water park.

Nothing says "we want your business back!" like doubling the size of the water park...unless you want the water park to be a focal point of your business.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:57 am

lilsam1993 wrote:
coastercrazy216 wrote:I get that there is a trend for water parks right now, but really? This is frustrating how little drive for actual rides there is. Now granted, KK is pretty awful in terms of coasters, but still, I wish there was a greater emphasis on the rides.

The park was not awful in the terms of coasters in the 1990s. Now, well it is. The park is just so outdated.

Ed Hart main concern isn't the waterpark. Kentucky Kingdom's waterpark right now is smaller then your average waterpark btw. I don't understand why there is so much talk about how great the waterpark is when there really isn't that many attractions inside of it. Before Ed Hart left the kingdom in 1997/1998 the waterpark had a wave pool, a kids area, a treehouse water attaction, a lazy river, and one slide complex with 4 water slides. The only thing Six Flags added was a Tornado waterslide and a Deluge Water Coaster. A Waterpark expansion is needed as you can see. After this expansion, Ed Hart said that he is going to start adding in brand new rides, reopening twisted twins, and most importantly, brand NEW coasters.

Six Flags also added a Bowl Slide in 2008.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby G$ Kurt » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:33 am

With lower overheads and more per cap spending, water parks can sometimes be the cash cow behind an amusement park. What Ed Hart is doing makes a lot of sense. It's a cheaper alternative to doubling the amusement park side and is a pretty sure way to bring people in.

I wouldn't worry though, he sounds extremely committed to the amusement park. I wouldn't worry about the focus being only on the waterpark side.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby lilsam1993 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:07 am

Jew wrote:
No one here is wishing for it to fail. But lets look at the bigger picture: Holiday World, Beech Bend, and Kings Island are three major competitors all within "daycation" range of the park...and instead of making a big splash, his first focus is on the water park.

Nothing says "we want your business back!" like doubling the size of the water park...unless you want the water park to be a focal point of your business.

You guys are forgetting something. Yes Ed has announced that he plans on doubling the size of the waterpark, which is needed. He has also said that he will be adding something to the dry side but he isnt given out that information because of competition with Kings Island and Holiday World.The only thing that we know is that he will add in TWO MAJOR THRILL RIDES in 2014. When Ed operated the park in the 1990s the major thrill rides he added in his time was The Hellavator, and the Quake! Both rides were a "World First" BTW. Could there be a World first in 2014? There's a HIGH good chance.

If you don't know what the Quake is, here's a video of it in action in the link below
http://blip.tv/ridemanvideo/the-quake-at-kentucky-kingdom-6016211

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby palmerleeberry » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:33 am

With the early reports I've been reading, it is so far and so good that this park could reopen, tons of riders and amusement park flyers would be visiting the park, and Kentucky Kingdom pops back on to the map as a "Must Visit or Die" attraction. Of course I won't be able to visit there when the park reopens (hopefully) next year, but I might consider it in 2015.

As for what slowly-decaying rides that are lefted inside the park, all I do know is, besides the water park, that Thunder Run and The Twisted Twins coasters are still standing, but I wonder what else is in there? Is Greezed Lighting still there, or how about T2, or the Roller Skater? I even wonder if my favorite type of flat ride, The Flying Dutchman, is still there? Does anyone know?

One thing I do know is that when they get around to remodeling and retracking the Twisted Twins, then I hope they would do something about those extra queing lines that did nothing but take up space. During all my visits to Kentucky Kingdom, not once did I ever see those extra lines being used (It reminds me of the Lighting Racer coaster at Hersheypark: they had a big block of queing lines outside the station that never got used do to the long straightaway and how quickly they've been filling up the trains. So they are dismanteling that area and I hope they would put something else in its place - like a drop tower).

Well, that's enough of me adding to this post. I think I'll go join my pillow before she has a heart attack and kills someone.

:pillow: "You got that right, buster!"

My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Postby DarienLaker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:01 pm

If they plan to reopen Kentucky Kingdom as a theme park they should make it more of a "value" theme park with lower prices than Kings Island and Holiday World.
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm

lilsam1993 wrote:
Jew wrote:

You guys are forgetting something. Yes Ed has announced that he plans on doubling the size of the waterpark, which is needed. He has also said that he will be adding something to the dry side but he isnt given out that information because of competition with Kings Island and Holiday World.The only thing that we know is that he will add in TWO MAJOR THRILL RIDES in 2014. When Ed operated the park in the 1990s the major thrill rides he added in his time was The Hellavator, and the Quake! Both rides were a "World First" BTW. Could there be a World first in 2014? There's a HIGH good chance.

If you don't know what the Quake is, here's a video of it in action in the link below
http://blip.tv/ridemanvideo/the-quake-at-kentucky-kingdom-6016211

I'll believe it when they are actually under construction. His lease only requires $1 million in improvements every year, and the water park additions will easily cover that.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!