Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I teach at the school of donkey!

Re: Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Postby DOCTOR DOOM!!! » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:12 pm

^^ If this is the same Mark that I think it is, I believe him and stand corrected!
Life is such a effin rollercoaster then it drops,
But why should I scream for, this is my theme park!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:15 pm

^Those heights he mentioned are the same as the ones Ed Hart mentioned in one of the videos he made the last go around to obtain the park.

^^Well bite my ass and call me Sally, I didn't know their attendance was ever over 1.1MM, so 1.5M was certainly achievable.

But that video is still quite biased. I'm not buying the claim that attendance was substantially increasing from outside the state late in Hart's reign when the only signature ride at the park was Chang. The propaganda through out the video is quite amusing "the addition of Greezed Lightning was not in the grand tradition of Kentucky Kingdom's other world class coasters such as T2" People stopped coming to the park in droves because of the loss of a Boomerang and Quake.
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:16 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby palmerleeberry » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:46 pm

As I am very happy that this park plans to be reopened next season, I'm also skeptical. You see, in the past, there were three parks I used to visit that was closed and had plans on reopening.

#1 -Six Flags New Orleans - closed since Hurricane Katrina, there was a company called Southern Star that wanted to reopen the park. RESULTS - The plans fell through and the park is still closed.

#2 - Hard Rock Park - I went there during it's first and only season. A new group came up, bought it, and turned it into a waterdown park they named Freestyle Music Park. RESULTS - The park is closed for the second time with no signs of it being reopened.

#3 - Ghost Town in the Sky - After the park was reopened in 2007, I went there and felt I got ripped off, so I didn't shed any tears when it closed down again. RESULTS - Now the park is being reopened into an attraction I have no desire in revisiting.

Could Kentuck Kingdom be #4 in my list, or can Ed Hart really turn this place around and make it much better than before. I like to say "yes", but I've been burnt three times before. :devil: :devil: :devil:

:pillow: "You can always depend on me to help you get through the night."

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Lareson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:13 pm

Found out about this on Screamscape, but here's the original article:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130128/NEWS01/301280087/Ed-Hart-check-out-Kentucky-Kingdom?nclick_check=1

The Ed Hart group has a top management staff in place that next week will begin to assess the condition of the long-abandoned Kentucky Kingdom amusement park at the Kentucky Exposition Center.

Hart said Monday that he has hired eight senior managers who will begin examining the rides, buildings and equipment next Monday. The park last operated in fall 2009 and some facilities have fallen into disrepair.

John Shanrock, who is relocating from South Carolina to be the park’s general manager, has 30 years of experience in the theme park industry, all within the Cedar Fair organization. William R. Hargrave, who will be director of technical services and capital improvements, has spent the past 20 years in management positions for Sam Swope’s auto business and previously worked at Kentucky Kingdom when Hart owned it. And Lesly Birkner — who has a background in the amusement industry as a professional specializing in human resource enrichment, training, operational analysis and policy development — will be director of operations.

Hart’s group has 90 days to evaluate the conditions and complete financing before the lease the Kentucky State Fair Board approved last Thursday is activated.

Hart said that until the lease kicks in, the board will continue to pay for security, utilities and other costs.

Hart applied last week for up to $10 million over 10 years in state tourism tax credits. Under the state program, developers of projects that promote tourism can recover part of their investment through a rebate on sales tax revenue generated by the project.

Hart’s partners are businessman Bruce Lunsford, lawyer Ed Glasscock and the Al J. Schneider Co. led by Mary Moseley — a company that owns the Galt House and Crowne Plaza hotels and extensive commercial property. Hart intends to have the park open in spring 2014.

Under the lease, the Hart group is to invest an initial $20 million in partner equity and $25 million that Hart said his group intends to borrow from an unnamed Kentucky bank. Those funds are to be used for park improvements by 2017.

Hart said that he expects to have to put up about $2.2 million a year for a decade to pay off the anticipated $25 million, 10-year bank loan. The investors plan to pay off that annual debt this way:

• Up to $200,000 a year from the city in rebated job tax revenue generated by the park employment and from the city’s general fund. Metro Council approval of the deal is pending.

• $100,000 a year pledged by the Louisville Convention Bureau from its hotel bed-tax income.

• $1 million from the pending state tourism tax credits.

• $900,000 a year from a parking arrangement with the fair board.

Hart said that plan will negate the need to pour partner equity into debt payments and that their equity can be plowed into park improvements.

Hart said the lease gives his group the power to decide whether the park will be open during the Kentucky State Fair and, if so, whether it will be open as an extension of the fair or will charge a fee for each ride.

“We very likely will be open for the state fair,” he said.

The lease requires the Hart group to pay $475,000 in rent in 2014, increasing by $50,000 a year until it caps at $1.2 million for the remainder of the 50-year period. All the park property and assets, including future improvements, will remain under state ownership.

Nice to see Cedar Fair veteran John Shanrock join the Kentucky Kingdom group as the GM. Very excited that this park is getting very close to opening back up!
The man may keep me down but opinions are my own.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby lilsam1993 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:59 pm

As Lance was saying in today screamscape post, Kentucky Kingdom skyline IS damage. The only ride that is visible in the remaining skyline from several miles away is the Giant Wheel. Ed said he plans on adding in two thrill rides with the price tag of 1.5 million. And I'm sure he will ad in new rides that will dramatically change Kentucky Kingdom's skyline in several years. Do any of you believe the park could possibly add in a S&S drop tower? Or maybe even a Zamperla air race? Just speculating here just for fun. These are two rides Kentucky Kingdom would benefit from next year.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:43 pm

The two thrill rides he mentioned before were a 135' Star Flyer and a Flying Scooter.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby lilsam1993 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:27 pm

John Peck wrote:The two thrill rides he mentioned before were a 135' Star Flyer and a Flying Scooter.

Those are not thrill rides. Those are family rides. The local news reported that Hart was going to add in two MAJOR thrill rides. Back in the 1990s, Ed Hart always went BIG, Adding attractions you couldn't find anywhere else in our area. He's also always talking about competition as we all know. Do you think he's really going to put into a public RFP everything that's going to be done when it comes to new attractions? BTW, the old RFP has been taking off the kentucky kingdom website.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:18 pm

lilsam1993 wrote:
John Peck wrote:The two thrill rides he mentioned before were a 135' Star Flyer and a Flying Scooter.

Those are not thrill rides. Those are family rides. The local news reported that Hart was going to add in two MAJOR thrill rides. Back in the 1990s, Ed Hart always went BIG, Adding attractions you couldn't find anywhere else in our area. He's also always talking about competition as we all know. Do you think he's really going to put into a public RFP everything that's going to be done when it comes to new attractions? BTW, the old RFP has been taking off the kentucky kingdom website.

2 Rides that aren't found within 300 miles?
- Huss Giant Jump 2 / Mondial Top Scan
- B&M Floorless Coaster/ Intamin Accelerator Coaster
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:28 pm

Ed Hart still does not have financing. I still have doubts he will get it. We will see in 90 days.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:22 pm

^Exactly. There are many, many ways for this deal to still fall apart. This is far from a done deal.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!