Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know more about donkeys than women!

Re: Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Postby ArundelHigh Coasters » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:37 am

Wow, never saw those shots of Greezed Lightnin. It looks really bad, and instead wasting money on fixing it, something else could take it's spot.I really want to get my T2 credit thought. It's the first SLC in the states, Twisted Twins is another I want to get.
Life is the most thrilling roller coaster in the world. Everyone rides life.
Like a Vekoma, life isn't always great. Life is the longest, slowest, and fastest coaster in the world.
Like any coaster, life has it's up's and downs. Ride life to the fullest every day, because you don't know when it'll be taken.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Mean Streak » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:42 am

Why are they still keeping T2 and Twisted Twins? I thought both were in bad shape

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:55 pm

mikeykaise wrote:
3Mutts wrote:^ If there is a will, there is a way. Look at Alton Towers, they can't build anything above tree height and have sever noise limitations and look at the innovative coasters they have (Nemesis, Oblivion, Air, Thirteen, and The Smiler [SW7]). KK will find a way to make innovative rides no matter how many limitations they have.

I have an idea for an unique coaster but not sure how feasible it is or if its already been done. I think a totally underground rollercoaster would be awesome. It would take a lot of earth moving and concrete to make a hole that is 200 or 300 feet deep but that would be totally awesome. You could give it a runaway subway theme.

The Sky Coaster was 180ft. I'm sure you could built a pretty tall coaster at the park. Chang was 154ft. Greased Lightning was 138ft tall.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby screaminkid2005 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:45 pm

By looking at those photos, It seems like Thunder Run and Twisted Twins are most likely going to get new trains. Last I heard, Twisted Twins lost it's trains a few years back right? They will hopefully use this opportunity to get T2 some new trains as well.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:48 pm

Hart wants new trains for Thunder Run, T2 and Twisted Twins. The Twins trains wound up in St. Louis last I heard. There's video of him somewhere breaking down all the costs of repairing each ride, the Giant Wheel would get repainted for example, and there are holes in some of the roofs of the buildings. You're talking a good $1k to $3k just to replace a roof for example depending on the damage and who they hire.

KK still has a ton of great infrastructure, so hopefully the major repairs should mostly be the rides, and some of those were winterized. Still, I'd like to see him use the wild mouse foundation for a new wild mouse, I mean, it's already there and Maure Shone still makes that model that was there. But that's just me.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby 3Mutts » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:03 pm

^ Yes the Twisted Twins Trains are in SFStL under the Batman: The Ride station along with Ninjas 3rd train, I assume they are being used as part donors for The Boss.

Here's a picture:

Coaster Count: 142 total 94 steel 48 wood
Favorite Steel Coaster: Skyrush at Hershey Park
Favorite Wood Coaster: A tie between The Voyage at Holiday World and T Express at Everland
I'm posting from a IPad so I can't enable pics/video

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:45 pm

larrygator wrote: The park operators are required under the lease to spend $13 million in 2013 and 2014 to get the park open. The group must spend another $7 million on the park through the 2016 season. From 2017 on, the group is required to spend at least $1 million annually on the park. Under the terms of the lease, the fair board will become owners of any new rides or attractions placed at Kentucky Kingdom.

Just a reminder of what was posted yesterday. Of course, money will need to be invested immediately to:
1- clean up the place
2 - get rides and buildings fixed and up to code
3 - fill the gaps of what is missing at the park

Ed Hart has already stated that a coaster as the scale of Chang will be added, but if you look at his track record during his previous ownership one should not expect him to start a coaster war against the local competition.

I would be very surprised to see another wood coaster put in the park (unless one of the existing ones is removed). With Beech Bend and Holiday World within 100 miles of KK why put in a wood coaster, put in something that doesn't compete with the smaller parks. Along the same vein, Kings Island is also fairly close so KK would be wise to put in something can not be found at Kings Island. This is not to say KK will steal regular customers from Kings Island, but it gives people a reason to try out KK.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:20 pm

Didn't see this posted before, sorry if it already was.

Hart also said wooden coaster Twisted Twins will reopen in the park’s second year.

Read more: http://www.wlky.com/news/local-news/louisville-news/Hart-tight-lipped-about-future-Kentucky-Kingdom-plans/-/9718340/18269242/-/mapnbnz/-/index.html#ixzz2J8OPsAn8

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby lilsam1993 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:39 pm

larrygator wrote:Ed Hart has already stated that a coaster as the scale of Chang will be added, but if you look at his track record during his previous ownership one should not expect him to start a coaster war against the local competition.

I would be very surprised to see another wood coaster put in the park (unless one of the existing ones is removed). With Beech Bend and Holiday World within 100 miles of KK why put in a wood coaster, put in something that doesn't compete with the smaller parks. Along the same vein, Kings Island is also fairly close so KK would be wise to put in something can not be found at Kings Island. This is not to say KK will steal regular customers from Kings Island, but it gives people a reason to try out KK.

In 1998, Kentucky Kingdom's attendance was 1.3 million. If Ed had never given the place to Priemer Park, I believe that Kentucky Kingdom would possibly be making 2 to 2.5 million guest annually. Kings Island makes 3 million a year.

At the end of Ed Hart involvement with this park in 1998, Kings Island was starting to get competitive with Kentucky Kingdom. That's when the Action Zone was added in 1999, and later on Son of Beast in the year 2000. Holiday World maybe competition with Kentucky Kingdom, but I just cant see it happening with them. These are two different parks.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby lilsam1993 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Here's a radio interview with Ed Hart yesterday. He gives a little bit more detail about whats going on. What's Ironic is that the day Ed and his crew move into the park, is the 4 year anniversary of Six Flags walking out on Kentucky Kingdom.

http://wfpl.org/post/ed-hart-kentucky-kingdom-lease-inauguration-2013-mcconnell-food-stamp-challenge

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!