Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:41 pm

What's actually left at SFKK that is worth anything? A Vekoma Roller Skater & SLC and a ProSlide Magnetic Launch & Tornado slide? I guess there were a few other water park attractions too...but as far as the dry rides go, is there really that much left that could be salvaged after a few years of neglect?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Looks like Google Maps satellite data is current from 2012. (Click image for larger version)
sfkk.jpg

Honestly, really don't see THAT much other that what I mentioned above. I can't see either of the woodies being re-located, especially not the CCI that has been sitting rotting away for a couple of years even before the park closed. Same with the splash down boat.

It's been reported that the shuttle loop is now beyond repair, and there are already so many used ferris wheels on the market already, I couldn't see this one being sold for much else than parts.

So unless they figure out a way to re-open the park, I don't see much of an interesting auction here.

--Robb
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:46 pm.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Mmmm that wave pool looks great!!!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:51 pm

How well has Twisted Twins held up? Would that be worth saving at this point? If they could get GCI or the Gravity Group to get it up and running with Millennium Flyers or Timberliners I think it would be a good start.

Edit: Sounds like my questions already been answered.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Twisted Twins hasn't run since 2007 and I think it would be one thing if a ride hadn't run, but the rest of the park is still being maintained, but the fact that it has now been totally neglected, not winterized, or taken care of in any way for the last 5 seasons, the ride is probably toast.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:52 pm

SharkTums wrote:Mmmm that wave pool looks great!!!

I'm pretty sure thats actually what the water looks like after the typical Kentucky Kingdom guests get done swimming.
Last edited by kidcoaster 2 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:00 pm.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby screaminkid2005 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:55 pm

I mean it might be possible that the ferris wheel would be relocated if its not rotted beyond repair. Its true that there are a few ferris wheels up for sale, but are there any 150ft models for sale pretty cheap? If not, there are a few major parks that could use one. =]

Wisconsin Dells Fanatic

Postby traincrossin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Come on guys, don't give up so easily. Just bring your truck and some tools over, we can totally save these classic wooden coasters from demolition!
13 - Gatekeeper
14 - Millennium Force

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:01 pm

screaminkid2005 wrote:I mean it might be possible that the ferris wheel would be relocated if its not rotted beyond repair. Its true that there are a few ferris wheels up for sale, but are there any 150ft models for sale pretty cheap? If not, there are a few major parks that could use one. =]

I agree there is certainly some stuff to auction off, I just don't think it will be that exciting. I mean, when they finally auction off Hard Rock Freestyle Music Disaster Park, I bet there will be a LOT of attention given to it to find out where that B&M will go, a one-of-a-kind Premiere coaster, and a "only one of it's kind in the USA" Vekoma mine train. I don't think I'll get too worked up over a Ferris Wheel, SLC, or Roller Skater! ;)

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby dj snow » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:11 pm

robbalvey wrote:Twisted Twins hasn't run since 2007 and I think it would be one thing if a ride hadn't run, but the rest of the park is still being maintained, but the fact that it has now been totally neglected, not winterized, or taken care of in any way for the last 5 seasons, the ride is probably toast.
I don't think it's beyond repair--it would probably require all new track, replacement/rehab of mechanical systems, and new trains (since the old ones are gone). But Twisted Twins wasn't that great a ride to begin with anyway, and it was waaaaaay back there where not enough people would go. One might be able to make a case for getting it running in its current location if the park should reopen, but I wouldn't see much reason for any other park to buy it and move it.

Interesting trivia: Twisted Twins sits mostly on land owned by the Kentucky State Fair Board, however one parcel of land (which includes the station house and most of the two lift hills) is owned by Ed Hart's family. I wonder if this may have contributed to Six Flags' decision to close the ride. If the park reopens, I'm sure this situation would factor into the future of the ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!