Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby Coaster_Fanatic » Sun May 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Not sure if mentioned before, but does anyone think they will refurbish T2 by giving it the new fancy Vekoma SLC trains and a new paint job (That aren't the current colors that it is now)?
My Top 5 Coasters - 1). El Toro 2). Intimidator 305 3). Thunderhead 4). Kingda Ka 5). Apollo's Chariot

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu May 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Based on this recent article it sounds like no rollers coasters will operate this year and in the best case scenario only the Roller Skater and Thunder Run would be ready for 2014.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120524/NEWS01/305240076/Louisville-theme-park-won-t-offer-roller-coasters-may-delay-reopening-2014?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CHome%7Cs

Louisville theme park won't offer roller coasters, may delay reopening to 2014
Written by Sheldon S. Shafer
The Courier-Journal

There will be no major roller coasters running at Bluegrass Boardwalk when the theme park opens at the Kentucky state fairgrounds, according to a preliminary state application that emphasizes restored and expanded water features.

And the Bluegrass Boardwalk partners are acknowledging, for the first time, that delays in signing a lease and getting finances nailed down are casting doubts on whether the park will open next May as planned. They say the opening now might be pushed back to 2014.

The park’s new operators — members of the Koch family who also own Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari in Santa Claus, Ind. — said in their application to the Tourism Cabinet for tax credits that several rides, including its larger roller coasters, “will not be refurbished due to the age, reliability and costly repairs.”

That includes the looping steel coaster called T-2 and twin wooden coasters called Twisted Twins that were popular when the park operated as Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom.

When Bluegrass Boardwalk opens, it will do so with “all the existing water park attractions and some of the amusement park rides,” according to a copy of the application obtained by The Courier-Journal. That would include the carousel, the Blizzard River whitewater raft ride, the Flying Dutchman, the Himalaya, Breakdance, six kiddie rides, bumper cars and an antique car ride.

“Pending a successful 2013,” the application says, additional rides will be refurbished, including the large Ferris wheel; The Roller Skater, a junior steel coaster; Thrill Park Theatre, an indoor movie venue; and Thunder Run, a wooden coaster.

But while it suggests that the coasters that won’t be repaired and “will be replaced over time with new, safe, reliable, fun, high guest-capacity attractions,” it doesn’t specify any new roller coasters.

The Kochs have a tentative 50-year lease for the theme park with the Kentucky State Fair Board.

Paula Werne, the Kochs’ spokeswoman, said the application for the state aid “contains preliminary information, based on cursory examination of the rides” before Feb. 29, when the draft application was filed with the Tourism Cabinet.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simaticable » Thu May 24, 2012 7:16 pm

So nothing on Greezed Lightnin'. I wonder what they're going to do with it.
Schwarzkopf was a genius; anything less makes you a moron. ;)

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:24 pm

simaticable wrote:So nothing on Greezed Lightnin'. I wonder what they're going to do with it.

Personaly I feel GL is done... but hopefully that is not the case.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu May 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Sounds like the place needs a lot more work than they originally counted on, so they're concentrating on the water park. I hope the Kochs are able to make a go of the place.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Thu May 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Yeah, that doesn't sound good at all for Greezed Lightnin'.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Thu May 24, 2012 8:16 pm

I can't see GL ever running again. And I wouldn't be surprised if this park ended up mainly being a water park and water based attractions.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby 11slataus » Thu May 24, 2012 8:52 pm

I might be the only one thinking it, but it's a shame to loose a prototype SLC...and Greezed Lightnin' of course. :(

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Thu May 24, 2012 10:18 pm

^Yes, I enjoyed my fair share of having my senses beaten out of me. (I'm a local. 30 minutes from the park.) Honestly, I enjoyed the ride. Probably because I was able to tolerate a little more of the roughness it provided... and because I always sat at the back of the train and braced as hard as I could.

It's quite sad to hear this news really. Almost everyone I know (most teenagers, some adults too) have started to appreciate KY Kingdom a little more due to it being closed. Before, they would always make comments saying about how it was the worst amusement park ever and other general park-goer mumbo-jumbo. Now, they don't have an amusement park at all (within Louisville), so now they talk more about the good times they've had at the park.

I went to Lexington for a college visit today (Thursday), and I spoke with the tour guide about the park and she told me that she missed the park as well. KY Kingdom may have not one of the best parks to visit within the 2 hour vicinity of Louisville, but it's better than not having one at all.

As for losing rides such as T2, then the park would be losing one of it's most intense... no... the park most intense roller coaster. Of course, it would not be missed very much. Those who have experienced it and remember it well, would probably skip it if they ever came back to the park. Greezed Lightnin' will be missed (at least by me). Sure it was often always a walk-on, but it's a rare coaster. It's the park's only launched coaster, only ride that inverts with lap-bar restraints, and the only coaster that goes backwards.

Edit: lol, replace noodles with restra.ints
Last edited by Midgetman82 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:39 pm.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu May 24, 2012 10:54 pm

simaticable wrote:So nothing on Greezed Lightnin'. I wonder what they're going to do with it.

dumpster.jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu May 24, 2012 10:54 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!