Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Re: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby palmerleeberry » Sat May 05, 2012 8:44 am

^If I may add my opinion, then perhaps maybe they would add a used flat ride or two just be used for a few seasons to help attract the riders and amusement park flyers until they can generate enough cash flow to purchase a brand new ride (like a kick-@$$ coaster), but I do know for a fact that when you have a few rides that has been sitting idle for a few years and been lying under the weather, you'll need lots of time and money for maintenance. Who knows how much retrackingThunder Row and Twisted Twins will need, not to mention the weed pulling and landscape clearing needed for the Roller Skater?

But regardless of what they do and if they played their cards right, then Bluegrass Boardwalk shall rise like Phoenix out of Louisville and be another "must visit or else" destination. As for me, even if they get it running and operational for next season, it might be a few years before I can come by for a visit (nothing personal, but I can only come this way once every few seasons due to other park destinations all around this good old USA).

:pillow: "'I can only come this way once every few seasons'. Bah! You do the same thing to me!"

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:14 pm

^ I don't think it will ever be a "must-see destination" but it might get back up to being a decent regional park. I think down the road that they need to focus on way finding and layout issues. It would require some pretty big changes but they need it to feel like a more modern park... not just by adding rides but the overall image and feel.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby darklingscribe » Mon May 07, 2012 12:06 am

I was wondering if they might be thinking of swapping flat rides between this park and Holiday World just to save money the first couple of years and still have "new" rides to advertise at both parks.

To me it seems the wisest move if money is short.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby almightyfire » Mon May 07, 2012 5:18 am

I went to this park yrs ago and it was HORRIBLE, small, terrible location & old rides. 15 million is no where NEAR what this park needs. They just need 2 make it a water park.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:29 am

It wasn't always a terrible park, actually used to have a lot of charm for small local place. Other than being limited by height restrictions from the airport the location is actually pretty decent, right next to the fair grounds, Churchill Downs, Pappa Johns Stadium, and very conveniently located off of the interstate within about 3 hours drive of several decent sized cities (Lexington, Louisville, Bowling green, Nashville, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Dayton).

The ride selection isn't great as far as coasters go but it's a pretty decent selection of flats and water slides compared to a lot of places. It's not going to be Cedar Point or Knobles after year 1, but all in all it's a decent palate to start with and develop a new park.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Mon May 07, 2012 2:01 pm

disneyfan1313 wrote:So the first year investment is only 15.6 million? That is quite a bit lower than I expected... I'm guessing that figure is simply to get the park going again?

Yeah, I would agree. I don't think they can do much more the first year than get the place up and running again.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby liftsifter » Mon May 07, 2012 2:31 pm

Meteornotes wrote:
disneyfan1313 wrote:So the first year investment is only 15.6 million? That is quite a bit lower than I expected... I'm guessing that figure is simply to get the park going again?

Yeah, I would agree. I don't think they can do much more the first year than get the place up and running again.

dt

Unless that's total investment for NEW attractions? That would make quite a bit more sense. Ed Hart was putting the reopening alone at something like $27M.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby lilsam1993 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:24 pm

almightyfire wrote:I went to this park yrs ago and it was HORRIBLE, small, terrible location & old rides. 15 million is no where NEAR what this park needs. They just need 2 make it a water park.

Kentucky Kingdom isn't small, it's basically your average size amusement park ( while the whole park is open). They also have more land to expand. Decent rides could have been put into the park, However as you said KK was outdated. It has been that way since Six Flags manage the park. When Ed Hart left the park in 1998, no NEW flats had been added. The amusement side is more popular than the water park, Six Flags just didn't invest in that side of the park.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:22 pm

^ Do you think flats are what is needed? I feel the investment should go infrastructure, water park, iconic ride, then flats. Flats won't draw people in the gate or convince them to give it another try - but highlighting improvements might.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby ratdogg68 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:49 pm

Their biggest draw will be the Waterpark. They need to add some more slides where Chang was, get rid of T2 and add another Wave Pool and make Penguins Blizzard like Pilgrims Plunge. Enter from the Waterpark or the Amusement Park. Get rid of Mile High Falls and place a Giant Frisbee there. That's some of my thoughts on what to do.
Let the Riding begin

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!