Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:00 pm

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:Could it be that the Holiday World people actually were hinting at a steel coaster for this park and not for their home park?

Chris, I don't think so. After seeing the Q ans A it is clear Dan Koch is addressing Holiday World.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:25 am

http://www.wfpl.org/2012/02/15/workman-very-confident-of-2013-kentucky-kingdom-reopening/

The president of the Kentucky State Fair Board says negotiations with a prospective new operator of the Kentucky Kingdom amusement park are going well.

Harold Workman told a Kentucky Senate committee yesterday that he expects the talks with the owners of Indiana’s Holiday World to lead to an agreement.

“We’re in negotiations with a Kentucky corporation that was formed, called Bluegrass Boardwalk. If that is successful, which we’re very confident that it will be, then we anticipate the park will be open in May of 2013,” he said.

Bluegrass Boardwalk was formed by members of the Koch family, which owns Holiday World. The family has said it would not seek any public funding from the Kentucky legislature, but is applying for state economic development incentives.

Kentucky Kingdom has been shuttered since early 2010, when its previous operator, Six Flags, declared bankruptcy. Talks with Louisville developer Ed Hart to take over the park fell through last year.

The park has provided hundreds of seasonal jobs for young people. Workman told the panel the fair board has lost about $2 million annually in revenue since the closure.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

My brain is often hibernating.

Postby -Edge of Beast- » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:13 pm

Has it seriously been two years since the park closed? Time flies pretty quick!

Anyways, it's nice to see that it is scheduled for 2013. Though, due to the board of Kentucky's wacky beings, I wouldn't be surprised if it opened earlier or later.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby PhantomNick » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:25 am

I think if anyone has a shot to turn this place around and get it up and running again for locals, it is the Koch family. They really seem to have their wits about them in the theme park business. I wish them the best of luck!
I would rather be off riding coasters!

Steel Top 5 - (1) Steel Vengeance (2) Skyrush (3) Fury 325 (4) Millennium Force (5-tie) Phantom's Revenge (5-tie) Maverick
Wood Top 5 - (1) El Toro (2) Phoenix (3) Voyage (4) Ravine Flyer II (5) Shivering Timbers

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:19 pm

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120219/NEWS01/302190059/amusement-park-name-change-louisville

The Koch family, operators of Holiday World and Splashin’ Safari in Santa Claus, Ind., may change the name of Kentucky Kingdom if they secure the rights to take over the closed Louisville amusement park.

The family members earlier this month announced formation of a company called Bluegrass Boardwalk Inc. to negotiate a lease with the Kentucky State Fair Board to operate the theme park on the grounds of the Kentucky Exposition Center. But they didn’t indicate at the time that they were considering putting the new company’s name on the amusement park itself.

Kentucky Kingdom has been closed since it was in essence abandoned by Six Flags amid a bankruptcy filing two years ago. The park has been called Kentucky Kingdom since it first operated in the late 1980s.

Paula Werne, spokeswoman for Holiday World and the Koch family, said in a phone interview that the Kochs selected Bluegrass Boardwalk as a “working name” for the new company and that putting that name on Kentucky Kingdom “is certainly a possibility, absolutely.”

Werne declined to comment on why the Kochs are considering the name change.

Amanda Storment, spokeswoman for the fair board, said any name for the park would be part of the lease negotiations and noted that the lease — including the park’s name — would be subject to approval by the full fair board.

The fair board and board President Harold Workman issued a statement that said the board’s top priority remains “to open the amusement and water park by 2013. The Koch family is exploring the opportunity to serve as the park operator, and the fair board is working to provide information needed in that process.”

The Koch family members who formed Bluegrass Boardwalk are: Holiday World President Dan Koch; his sister, Natalie Koch; their cousin, Kathy Kamp; and her husband, Michael Kamp, who is a general manager of Holiday World.

Dan and Natalie Koch and Kathy Kamp are grandchildren of Holiday World’s founder, Louis J. Koch, who opened the park, originally called Santa Claus Land, in 1946.

The Kochs said no public money will be requested from the Kentucky General Assembly but that they would be eligible for state tourism tax credits for money spent to improve the amusement park.

Werne declined to discuss why the Kochs are interested in operating another park only about 80 miles from Holiday World.

The fair board last fall ended more than a year of negotiations with Louisville businessman Ed Hart about operating Kentucky Kingdom.

He had raised significant money toward reopening the park.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:39 pm

I wouldn't mind the name change. Bluegrass Boardwalk isn't a bad name, even though I don't recollect Louisville having any actual boardwalks..

If they do take over the park, and if they make season passes available for both Holiday World and "Bluegrass Boardwalk," I'm gonna flip!
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

My brain is often hibernating.

Postby -Edge of Beast- » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:47 pm

I like the name, but alas, I also don't get the boardwalk thing. Like midgetman said, there are no boardwalks in Kentucky, nor should there ever be since there aren't tons of oceans and seas in Kentucky.

:Pr

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:58 pm

I love the name, and still think if done right this place can be a real success.

I'd love to see the "new" park somehow pay homage to the old Fountain Ferry Park that once existed in Louisville. Most guests probably wouldn't make the connection but could be a nice little historical touch.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:13 pm

That has a nice ring to it, and I think "Boardwalk" is such a classic term to incorporate into park names. I agree that it would be nice to add a real boardwalk somewhere in the park (I'm assuming there is none), since I find it a bit odd that Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, as far as I know, is all concrete...

I know people can be very protective of names, in some cases refusing to switch over to new ones, but doesn't Kentucky Kingdom have a bad reputation to shed? I'd think a name change could help with that.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:16 pm

It makes sense to change the name after all the bad rep the park got especially the 2007 incident.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!