Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:39 am

From what I hear, It's not HW exact but some of the family. It's like When 4 ex Cedar Point CEO's bought Geauga Lake in 1969. Different Companies running 2 different parks.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:52 am

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:From what I hear, It's not HW exact but some of the family. It's like When 4 ex Cedar Point CEO's bought Geauga Lake in 1969. Different Companies running 2 different parks.

No, its the same family members running HW.

The members of the Koch family involved in discussions with the Kentucky State Fair Board as Bluegrass Boardwalk, Incorporated are Holiday World president Dan Koch, his sister Natalie Koch, their cousin Kathy Kamp, and her husband, Michael Kamp, who is a General Manager at Holiday World. Dan, Natalie and Kathy are grandchildren of Holiday World’s founder, Louis J. Koch, who opened the park (originally called Santa Claus Land) in 1946.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:57 am

DBru wrote:Steve, do you honestly think this deal would go through if the Koch's didn't believe it was "logical?"

The family has been running one of the most successful parks in the world for over half a century. Surely they know what they're doing/getting themselves into.

This is no guarantee that they haven't made a mistake. That being said, I wish them well on their new endeavor, and have no desire to see them fail.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:44 am

Skycoastin Steve wrote:So the people at HW operate what is easily the best park in the region (and arguably one of the best parks in the country), but they want to try to revive what was easily the worst park in the region (and arguably one of the worst parks in the country)? To me, this investment would be like buying a boat. It would be a colossal money pit with absolutely no return on their investment. I really, really hope they see the logical side of this and change their minds.

Kentucky Kingdom wasn't always a terrible park, it had it's years where it was a actually pretty decent. I'm fairly skeptical of this project but I do think that if the right plan is executed properly this place can succeed again. I don't know what that plan is exactly whether its a new water park, expanded amusement park, down sized amusement park I don't know but I think there is enough of a local market to support a park again.

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:55 am

I think they will make Kentucky Kingdom extreme/thrill oriented while Holiday World will stay Family thrills.

It's like When Kennywood bought Idlewild
OR
When Merlin who owns Legoland bought Chessington and Thorpe
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: The Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:16 am

lilsam1993 wrote:
CoryPa77 wrote:
I'm not exactly sure where Dominator would have went at KK, I've actually heard a number of things like the parking lot that was out in front of Chang's first turn would be given over to the park from the Fair Board for use. I'm not sure it was going to be Dominator's exact layout, but it was going to be a floorless.

Well, from what I've just heard Dominator was indeed made for Kentucky Kingdom. Dominator was supposed to be built in the vampire old spot as well as the squids dry slides spot. Steel Venom could as well been originally planed for the park as well. Looking at Dominator Design/map below, their is space for a impulse coaster right behind Dominator. Steel Venom would occupy the spot Greezed Lighting occupy today. It seems things changed as soon as Six Flags purchased Geauga Lake. So as soon as that happen, Six Flags quickly purchased Road Runner Express, and In 2001, Six Flags added Sky Coaster to fill the blank space in the park.

Actually SFI/Premier parks owned GL as early as 94/95 so it had nothing to do with the park in Ohio.Kk was the first park in premier parks chain to be flagged in 98 when SFI was purchased by them with GL,AW,EG & DL all being flagged for the 99 season.

What is this, Joisey?

Postby Swimace » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:21 am

I don't really get some of the negativity floating around here, Kentucky Kingdom wasn't that bad until Six Flags gave up on it. They actually have a really awesome water park! I know the whole "water park" aspect can be lost on a lot of coaster enthusiasts, but I guarantee that's a big draw for someone looking to create a sustainable business.

With that said, the amusement park definitely needs work, especially considering the loss of Chang. I definitely think the park would need to invest in a major new thrill ride and maybe some family rides in order to start bringing people back. Currently they're stuck with one of the worst SLC's ever, a couple of sub-par woodies, and a shuttle loop... so I understand why a lot of coaster enthusiasts aren't as excited about this as Ed Hart's "coaster, coaster, coaster" strategy. But from more of a family park standpoint, they have Deluge, a good waterpark, and a decent rapids ride. They have a good starting point, I think with smart investments over a long period of time we could see this become a really nice park.

It could be worse! I have way more optimism about the Koch's turning Kentucky Kingdom around than I ever had with Herschend turning Wild Adventures around!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:45 am

They are doing this right by starting a separate company. If this should get off the ground and there is no guarantee that it even will, then should the park go bust it will not drag down HW. A lot still has to happen, like a lease suitable to both sides and financing.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:01 pm

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:I think they will make Kentucky Kingdom extreme/thrill oriented while Holiday World will stay Family thrills.

I don't see this happening since the HW folks would not own the land where the rides are placed. If something goes wrong and the Koch family leaves the project they would want to take their extreme rides with them, but would have no logical place to put them and reselling them would not bring anywhere near the original purchase price. That is making the assumption that anything the Kochs add, would be their property.

And the end it is difficult to know for sure as we are not privy to the contracts and business arrangements between the parties involved.
Last edited by larrygator on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:05 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby chargersmichael » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:15 pm

Whatever the Koch's are doing...it will come out great! They have an amazing waterpark and themepark already and to bring it to Kentucky Kingdom...I can't wait to see what they have in store with this!!!
Roller Coaster Count: 140
| Millennium Force | | Skyrush | | Top Thrill Dragster | | Kingda Ka | | Maverick | | El Toro | | Mako | | Apollo's Chariot | | Storm Runner | | Nitro | | Incredible Hulk |

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!