Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby cal1br3tto » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:20 am

What?

I would love to see KK Holiday World-ified. Then again, I would like to see it reopen in any form that includes coasters.

I wonder what the chances of this really are. I suppose it would be best not to get one's hopes up for now...
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby beatle11 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:36 am

The Koch's obviously know what their doing when it comes to running a park. That said, Ed Hart would tell you that the fair board hasn't exactly been easy to work with. I hope we will hear some good news about this soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:23 am

One this for sure, Holiday World sure knows wooden coasters so does this mean twisted twins has a chance?
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:24 am

I don't like this idea at all. The Koch Family and Holiday World have a great business and should continue to expand and improve locally. This is a VERY different beast.

Postby thrillrider » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:09 am

I agree.

The two parks are total opposite of eachother.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:28 pm

^^Exactly. Unless the deal is heavily subsidized by the fair board and it is just them coming in to operate it without much financial risk, it's a very bad deal for them.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby lilsam1993 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:52 pm

IMO this could be very possible. I don't believe the Koch family will permeantly operate the place, but it is possible they could operate the park for a year or two to keep it in shape and running until a fixed owner is found. That would help keep Kentucky Kingdom alive.

People think KK and HW are rivals but its the complete opposite. The parks even had deals for employees before Kentucky Kingdom closed. For Example: When KK was open your work I.D. gave you Free Admission to Holiday World all season long. If you had worked over a certain number of hours you were allowed to have a buddy sticker which would allow you to enter holiday world all season long and a friend could enter free as well.

Postby beatle11 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:19 pm

lilsam1993 wrote:I don't believe the Koch family will permeantly operate the place, but it is possible they could operate the park for a year or two to keep it in shape and running until a fixed owner is found. That would help keep Kentucky Kingdom alive.

I could see something like that. The Koch's could have an out after a couple years if things don't go so well.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:38 pm

^^It's not about the competition. It's about the fact that SFKK would require a significant amount of money to meet the staffing/maintenance/merchandising/food requirements compared to Holiday World. HUGE risk with little reward.

Re: The Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:17 pm

lilsam1993 wrote:
CoryPa77 wrote:
I'm not exactly sure where Dominator would have went at KK, I've actually heard a number of things like the parking lot that was out in front of Chang's first turn would be given over to the park from the Fair Board for use. I'm not sure it was going to be Dominator's exact layout, but it was going to be a floorless.

Well, from what I've just heard Dominator was indeed made for Kentucky Kingdom. Dominator was supposed to be built in the vampire old spot as well as the squids dry slides spot. Steel Venom could as well been originally planed for the park as well. Looking at Dominator Design/map below, their is space for a impulse coaster right behind Dominator. Steel Venom would occupy the spot Greezed Lighting occupy today. It seems things changed as soon as Six Flags purchased Geauga Lake. So as soon as that happen, Six Flags quickly purchased Road Runner Express, and In 2001, Six Flags added Sky Coaster to fill the blank space in the park.

Premier owned Geauga Lake/Kentucky Kingdom way before 2000. Geauga Lake in 95, KK in 97.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!