Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 982 - Park reopening 6/29
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: The Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:49 pm

Jew wrote:^That's just a nice way of saying "we're not touching anything else right now because its tied up w/ litigation."

There's no hope for this park. Who would want to work with the fair board after this mess?

I don't think that is the case. The way I read it is that Six Flags will leave what is there aside from removing its "Inventory?" not sure if that just refers to Signs and Merchandise or rides they put in? Either way it sounds like SF will leave the park to where if someone wants to they can come in and get it open again with little work needed.

My bet is though that the board may have said we will let you keep chang if SF agrees to leave everything else? Just my guess....

Cubs/Colts Fan

Postby spaceace12 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:07 pm

Speaking of chang....a friend of mine pointed this out.

Was a Chicago news station doing a story on SFGA, look to the left.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Yes...haven't we known that the ride has been stored at SFGAm for a while now?

Cubs/Colts Fan

Postby spaceace12 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:17 pm

I don't know, just have a friend on facebook who posted that. From what he said, all they have is a stair case and support with the train. The rest is unknown where abouts is what he told me. I have no idea, I don't pay attention to the coaster scene much anymore.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:26 pm

I just reread my last post and realized it may have come off a bit smartallic-like. Sorry about that---wasn't my intention.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Orient Wolf » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:09 pm

kidcoaster 2 wrote:But who would be interested in taking over? Seems like every park company is in some kind of trouble right now or already just made a large acquisition.

Honestly, I think Cedar Fair would be a good fit for Kentucky Kingdom. They are obviously not in a postion to buy and I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to go into another lease arrangement like Six Flags. A well written, short-term management contract, however, could be mutually benefical to the fair board and an operator (such as CF's agreement to run Gilroy Gardens).

The fair board wants someone with experience to get in quickly and get the park up and running so they can have revenue for at least part of the season. Ride and waterpark operations is one of the few things CF excels at. They would be able to get all the rides running safely, quickly order food and merchandise, and set up a ticketing system, etc.

The fair board would maintain ownership of the land and all major assets (i.e. rides) while CF would provide minor assets such as cash registers and manage staffing. For their expertise CF would be guaranteed a certain percentage of year end profits. This move would be investment minimal for both parties and offer the best chance for return.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Yamez » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:38 am

I highly doubt Cedar Fair would even consider running another park right now. They're too mired down in the Apollo mess, and it feels like they're too desperate for funding to even think about any other commercial ventures at the moment. I think Cedar Fair is a safe bet to stay out of this mess.

I don't know the difference between waist and waste.

Postby CPmaverick » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:52 am

There is no way Cedar Fair would get into the whole Kentucky Kingdom thing with there current debt situation. However it is a good idea.
3DS Friend Code: 0774-4246-7779
Simpsons Tapped Out: serialmaverick

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Orient Wolf » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:16 am

^^The Apollo mess is exactly why CF should seek a management contract for KK. The Apollo deal will likely fall through and Kinzel needs to show the unitholders (who are currently very displeased) that he is still competent and capable of bringing in new revenue (and pay down the debt). Think of what SF is doing with Dubailand and Nigeria. It's the same low investment, decent return strategy.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:30 pm

^Except in those cases, Six Flags isn't doing anything except collecting a check for licensing and consulting fees. Operating SFKK would still cost Cedar Fair millions in staffing/inventory/equipment/etc. Not a smart move by any means.

Like I said, the call was just a nice way of saying "we're not touching anything else until all the legal stuff is settled." Neither the fair board or Six Flags are going to do anything until they can reach a settlement as to who exactly owns what.

And as it has already been mentioned...no one is going to want to do business with the fair board after this mess unless they get some extremely favorable terms.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!