TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK), this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

January 26th, 2007 - SFKK announces Deluge

June 16th, 2007 - Park President, Jay Thomas, makes comment on current state of SFKK

June 21th, 2007 - Girl loses feet during Superman: Tower of Power accident

November 30th, 2007 - Judge grants park permission to remove Superman: Power of Tower

November 26th, 2008 - accident settled out-of-court

July 5th, 2009 - Twisted Twins trains sent to SFStL

September 21st, 2009 - SFKK begins dismantling Chang for waterpark expansion

February 4th, 2010 - After debt restructuring Six Flags decides to not renew lease on park

February 15th, 2010 - Vendors apply with Kentucky State Fair Board to run the park

February 22nd, 2010 - State of Kentucky sues Six Flags to prevent removing any more rides

May 7th, 2010 - Confirmation that park will not open in 2010

May 27th, 2010 - Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment Company (KKRC), headed by Ed Hart, releases their proposal to revive the park and his plan appears to be approved

July 23rd, 2010 - Lawsuit settled with Six Flags

September 11th, 2010 - $50 Million bond issue approval needed to get park up and running and with proposed waterpark expansion

October 28th, 2010 - Park will not open in 2011 as bond issue falls through and KKRC plans to ask the state legislature for $50 Million

February 27th, 2011 - Park unlikely to open in 2012 as state legislators do not approve bond issue

April 6th, 2011 - Idea to have burden of bonds issued by both City of Louisville and State of Kentucky is not received well

August 23rd, 2011 - Ed Hart appears to have options to obtain the $20 million in financing needed to re-open the park

September 22rd, 2011 - Deadlines are missed to re-open park in 2012, new target date is 2013.

September 30th, 2011 - Kentucky Fair Board no longer entertaining the ideas of Ed Hart led KKRC

October 14th, 2011 - Ed hart suing the State of Kentucky for the personal funds he has invested in attempt to re-open the park

January 16th, 2012 - Koch family of Holiday World looking to operate SFKK

February 7th, 2012 - Koch family confirms involvement in park revival

February 16th, 2012 - State Fair President confident in May 2013 opening

February 20th, 2012 - Could the park be renamed as Bluegrass Boardwalk?

February 21st, 2012 - Koch Family to attend Thursday's Fair Board meeting

February 23rd, 2012 - Bluegrass Boardwalk plan approved, park set to reopen in May 2013!

April 30th, 2012 - Bluegrass Boardwalk releases '10 year goals' plan

May 24th, 2012 - Bluegrass Boardwalk might have to reopen without coasters, could delay opening until 2014

May 30th, 2012 - Details on the park's current condition & reopening needs

May 30th, 2012 - Park re-opening in 2013 is officially no longer an option

June 15th, 2012 - Bluegrass Boardwalk, Inc. withdraws from project

June 28th, 2012 - State Fair Board holds first meeting for park's fate

August 15th, 2012 - Ed Hart is back with a new park reopening proposal!

August 17th, 2012 - State Fair Board rejects Ed Hart's proposal

August 17th, 2012 - Kentucky Governer Beshear wants decision on the park soon

August 20th, 2012 - RFP process now in the works for Kentucky Kingdom

September 13th, 2012 - Proposals for park revival due on October 19th, 2012

October 11th, 2012 - Kentucky Kingdom support rally happening on Saturday

October 24th, 2012 - Hart's proposal likely to be rejected by Fair Board

November 10th, 2012 - Ed Hart expect to meet with state officials on November 14th

November 25th, 2012 - Governor Beshear hopeful for a proper park agreement

December 2nd, 2012 - Both sides remain mum on Kentucky Kingdom deal

January 10th, 2013 - State Fair Board "closer" to lease agreement

January 22nd, 2013 - State Fair Board to consider Hart deal on Thursday

January 24th, 2013 - Ed Hart's group granted lease to operate Kentukcy Kingdom for 50 years, plans Spring 2014 opening

February 12th, 2013 - Ed Hart's group assesses condition of Kentucky Kingdom

March 26th, 2013 - Work needed found to be more expensive than planned

April 11th, 2013 - Tax incentives approved by governmental officials

June 27th, 2013 - Details for park's biggest expansion in history!

May 20th, 2014 - Preview day for the new Kentucky Kingdom

September 2015, 2014 - Park announces 2014 result and 2015 additions (includes two new rides and three re-introductions)

July 3rd, 2015 - T3 re-opens

July 20th, 2015 - Kentucky Kingdom announces conversion of Twisted Twins to an RMC, Storm Chaser

November 29th, 2016 - Eye of the Storm (Larson SuperLoop) announced for 2017 season

November 2nd, 2017 - Scream Xtreme (Zamperla Endeavor) to be added in 2018

September 30th, 2018 - Kentucky Flyer announced, Gravity Group junior woodie with 40 inch height requirement

October 16th, 2018 - Kentucky Flyer construction delayed (possibly cancelled) due to Fair Board intervention

October 17th, 2018 - Kentucky Flyer construction authorized by the Fair Board after delay backlash

November 30th, 2018 - Kentucky Flyer construction updated posted!

March 13th, 2019 - New Kentucky Flyer construction photos posted!

February 23rd, 2021 - Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/kentuckyk ... ement.html

Splashwater Kingdom is bigger, better and wetter!

There's excitement around every turn as

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom adds the largest waterpark expansion in our history, featuring a new children's play area and state-of-the-art water coaster.

Crocodile Isle, a splash interactive play area, will be the ultimate place for kids. They'll get soaked by a giant tipping coconut and can explore elephant and flamingo slides, shark squirts and refreshing

palm trees that spray cool water on hot

summer days.

Deluge is our new cutting-edge water coaster that uses rocket-propelled water, magnets and gravity to blast riders through high-bank turns, tunnels and hills. It's the world's only 4-person "HydroMagnetic Rocket Booster" rafting ride that can be shared with family and friends. Plummet down roller coaster-like drops, then rocket uphill into an enclosed tunnel while getting sprayed with water from all sides. This water coaster is sure to be a hit among roller coaster fanatics as well as water park guests.

The waterpark expansion also includes other perks like shade

umbrellas, exclusive cabanas with misting fans, a new beach shop and Ben and Jerry's ice cream parlor.

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom opens April 6th and the newly expanded Splashwater Kingdom debuts May 26th. The waterpark is free with your theme park admission.

Watch the video of Deluge here:

http://streams.sixflags.com/Video/Jan25 ... ge_300.wmv

Check out these photos:

bilde3.jpg.4671a6723cc5fc3eb2630d20ca37c487.jpg

"This water coaster is sure to be a hit among roller coaster fanatics as well as water park guests."

bilde2.jpg.c9c56ce2f7103815b4e19738ca25b518.jpg

"Plummet down roller coaster-like drops, then rocket uphill into an enclosed tunnel while getting sprayed with water from all sides."

bilde.jpg.a4c04e354eee89e6aa7673e0d9427200.jpg

"Deluge is our new cutting-edge water coaster that uses rocket-propelled water, magnets and gravity to blast riders through high-bank turns, tunnels and hills."

The water coaster term seems to be applied to any water slide that has hills similar to a roller coaster.

Example: Halfpipes and Tornados go uphill and defy gravity, but do not 'look' like a roller coaster. These 'water coasters' that have 'bunny hills' on them seem to fit the bill a bit better and are using the term. I've seen Water Coasters with uphill sections with no water power, zip strip, or LIM technology a long time ago...they're just getting more advanced now.

Anyway, looks like fun! I've always said I like waterparks as much as amusement parks!

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this is ProSlides new version of their water coaster technology.

Did I see the words "water" and "coaster" in the same sentence!?!?

I'm so there!

Btw this is nothing new. Just the technology of it.

This looks really cool. Although this is just like the water coasters we already have now that are only powered by water jets but with newer and better technology.

Why do you need restraints on any coaster but not on this ride?

I mean seriously... what is the logic to put it on any and all coasters but not this? You would get hurt just as bad if you got up or were "forced" up during this ride or a small to mid sized coaster. I know this ride isn't going to have ejector air but you run a chance of someone getting paniced all of a sudden and trying to get off out of stupidity.

^^Uhh, I'm not sure where to begin.

1. Its a water slide.

2. These things don't crest the hills very fast at all.

3. They aren't that big.

4. Its a water slide.

So the potential of falling out of a open air (mostly) water slide with a height that is 3-4 stories tall is less of a concern than falling out a kiddie coaster going 12 mph and a maximum height of 15 feet?

That makes sense to you?

Someone fell out of the one slide at Waldameer last time I was there. It was a body slide though and the helixes are hit pretty fast. The one time it flipped me onto my stomach. I haven't been on it since. It freaked me out. I think this is a bit off topic....Anyways looks like a blast. I wonder if you hear the magnets engage? Err I think thats the word?