Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 944: Kentucky Flyer construction updated posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:13 am

I don't like this. I'm pretty suspicious of any employer who says he can't afford overtime. Considering the cost of training, insurance, and other benefits, it can often be less to pay overtime than hire a new employee. Plus you tend to get your best people working overtime, as they're the ones willing to commit more than is required by the job. The race to the bottom with wages never works out well for anyone but the very wealthy. It hurts the poor and working class, but it also hurts business owners, as those people whose wages are deflated give up things like theme park trips to save money. This idea sounds like another short term gain, long term loss that we see very often these days in politics and business.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby WolfBobs » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:49 am

Don't take this as I'm defending this, but...

Many states already have this exemption for seasonal employees. Ohio for example does. Seasonal businesses (amusement parks, ski resorts, zoos, etc..) do not have to pay seasonal employees for overtime. When I worked at GL the typical work week for us was 70 hours or more. All of it paid as straight time.

That said, I don't think he's pursuing this to be malicious or because he's cheap. It could be more to be competitive in a seasonal employment market. Kids looking for summer jobs may be more willing to take a job that'll gladly give them 70 hours a week versus 20-40 at similar hourly pay rates. I know I would and did. He also has dumped a lot of cash into a park we all thought was dead to bring it back. He may need some help to keep it successful.

And honestly speaking, I loved every second of those summer jobs. I would gladly work 70 hours a week without overtime pay at an amusement park again then 40 a week with available overtime at a job I'm only meh about.
Last edited by WolfBobs on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:54 am.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby bill_s » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:52 am

Sounds to me the headline is false because no one gets overtime because no one works over 40 hours a week, he won't pay overtime. If they change the rules, they will have the option of working longer at the same rate. Hart implies at least some of them are well above minimum wage and some work another job for more hours, which is more questionable, although probably many do work another job due to inconsistent hours and still will have to.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby ShaneH » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:10 am

Yeah when I worked there this summer as a lifeguard they wouldn't let me work more than 40 hours. One Sunday I got sent home at 12:30 because I was about to hit 40 hours that week. The only people that worked overtime were the managers who were paid more anyways.
Steel: Iron Rattler |Steel Vengeance|Millennium Force|I305|Wicked Cyclone
Wood: El Toro|Voyage|Lightning Rod |Phoenix|Legend

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ratdogg68 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:15 am

Ed has backed off now, he will pay overtime, was on the news this morning.
Let the Riding begin

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:53 am

Waited till (nearly) the last minute, but we are confirmed for the event as well! Will definitely be taking plenty of photos. I'm also not sure if I had a smart-phone the last time this event happened (I got mine exactly a year ago), but I do now and can hopefully do some live tweeting and IG posting!
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby diamondzznspurs » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:59 pm

I just did my RSVP for my husband and I! Wish we could do CP but this is close to us! We've never been to the park yet so we can't wait to see it.
Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Maverucj 3. Beast 4. Millennium Force 5. Mystic Timbers 6. Top Thrill dragster 7. Valravyn 8. Gatekeeper 9. Banshee 10. Diamondback

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ratdogg68 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:21 pm

Going to be a wet day, for King Louie's Winter walk through. 100% chance of rain, Severe flooding going on around Louisville now and rain in the forecast everyday through Sunday. I'm going to bare it, because this will be my first event.
Let the Riding begin

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Has anyone gotten an email from the park yet with instructions for the event?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Ewrawr » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:10 am

Guy T. Koepp wrote:Has anyone gotten an email from the park yet with instructions for the event?

We received ours last Friday. The instructions are: "PLEASE ENTER THROUGH THE BACK OF THE PARK AT THE T3 GATE. ADDRESS: SIOUX AVE & SENECA DRIVE, LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY.DO NOT GO TO THE MAIN ENTRANCE!! YOU WILL PAY TO PARK AND MISS THE EVENT!"

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!