TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Splash Adventure (Alabama Adventure) Discussion Thread

Sometimes the cost of the disassembling of a coaster (looking more towards the Zierer coaster at Bowcraft), transportation and re-installation presents more costly challenges than ordering a new coaster from scratch. I believe it would be in Alabama Adventure's best interest to invest in things to draw guests to the park for longer periods of time (like they've been doing for the last few years) while saving up for a big investment that would be a larger, more unique draw for them in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

The park had a cool campaign announcing the rides Wheel of Fortune style. I was able to guess the names of Freefall, Twister, and Galleon, but I wasn't right on what the attractions ended up being.

The park announced the addition on Twitter and Facebook (Link). Galleon is a swinging ship, Freefall is a speed slide (not mentioned if there's a drop pod or not), and Twister looks to be a twisty water slide (not mentioned if it was a tube slide or body slide).

ASA.JPG.7757dd94907f5e2a6768edcf482e5f01.JPG

From the park's Facebook page.

Edited by Canobie Coaster

Another great year in store for Alabama Splash Adventure! Freefall is the slide that was announced last year, but only opened for the last weekend of the season, and it looks like Twister will be a speed slide that utilizes the same tower as Freefall. Does anybody have any idea where in the park the Galleon will go? I'm wondering if it will go where the former Pirate ride was over by where the Log Flume was. If it were there, it would be close to Splash Island and the Pirate High Dive show, but far away from the other dry rides. Or I wonder if they will put it over like by where Marvel Mania used to be.

It's great to see yet ANOTHER big announcement for the park. I thought that this would be an infrastructure year after last year. I can't wait to see what else comes to this park in the upcoming years.

Solid additions again. I thought that the freefall slide looked familiar, lol. Makes sense to market it as new for 2019 and get their money out of it since it barely opened in 2018.

Every bit helps for both the water park and dry side. A few more years of this and it will feel complete again. The water side already looks pretty decent.

Looks like Rampage might be getting a second train next year!

Technically it's always had two trains. They ran two trains regularly on summer Saturdays (and occasional other busy days) in 2005 and from 2008-2010. They repainted both trains black for 2011, but with the big attendance decrease after the April 27th tornadoes and then the riot early during daily operations the second train was left in the maintenance building. That was the train they sent off to PTC when the Rampage was being refurbished. It was repainted red and is the one currently running. The one that ran in 2011 was left in the station when it closed and stayed there until late summer 2014. It was in really bad shape then. I guess it's possible they could refurbish it and use it again, but considering how bad of shape the "good" train was in when it arrived at PTC, I would hate to see how much it would cost to get that that other train running. I have no inside knowledge now, but I would be shocked if it was ever used as more than a photo op spot like they have done with several other old ride pieces through out the park.

• 2 weeks later...

The Galleon is on its way! These photos were from their Facebook page. It is coming from Bowcraft. You can see pieces of the other rides in the background of one of the photos (Crossbow and the Rock'n'Roll). I wonder if they bought anything else from Bowcraft?

Oh, and the park said on their Facebook page that Galleon will be over by the Weather Rock in the amusement park.

1944319267_AlabamaSplash2.thumb.jpg.c1c22e61eaeed648c4ce4af333e21418.jpg

2132094461_AlabamaSplash.thumb.jpg.de98ed479c9108a68f0802cd757d6112.jpg

I think definitely in the next five years. The park has a pretty decent following now and is looked upon favorably by the community. I think that last year's huge expansion, followed by another pretty big year with two brand new slides (though one already being built) and another new flat ride, show that Dan and Pat have great plans for the park. I really wouldn't be surprised if they decided to build a new, thrilling steel coaster on the former pad of Buzzsaw Falls by 2023. Here's how I feel like the next five years will go:

2020 - another new shop in restaurant to start rounding out the main street area and another family addition to the dry park.

2021 - a larger new waterslide for the waterpark. Maybe a speed slide tower like Gully Washer at Frontier City. Either that or a new splash area to replace the pretty dated one. The new addition could be over by Splash Island.

2022 - maybe two new additions to the dry park. Maybe a thrilling flat ride and a family one.

2023 - new coaster either on the former spot of Buzzsaw Falls or Zoomerang. I'm thinking maybe a raptor or a Gerstlauer Eurofighter, something like Tantrum that has the perfect capacity for a smaller park like Alabama Splash Adventure and is super cheap. Tantrum cost Darien Lake about six million dollars to build.

As each year goes by, I find myself more and more fascinated with this wonderful park!

Alabama Splash Adventure posted another update to Facebook! Looks like it will be in the former spot of Marvel Mania! I love the placement of it. It really rounds out that loop of the park. Also, from the looks of the new profile picture, it looks to be that Alabama Splash Adventure is advertising itself as an amusement park AND waterpark once again.

613302101_AlabamaSplash3.thumb.jpg.09078c530e85119f3a1ce8ecf9365199.jpg

Is this park going to get a new thrilling steel coaster within the next 5 years, or do you think it will be more like within the next 10 years?

I guess it depends on your definition of "thrilling" as this is a small park rebuilding after being closed down and most rides and coasters removed. I wouldn't expect a B&M, Intamin or anything huge and expensive for sometime.

But as stated before a small eurofighter like Tantrum at Darian Lake would be perfect here. Also I would love to see a SBF Visa Spinner or a GG family woodie. Those would all be amazing, cost effective additions that would help this park continue it's amazing success story.

But Dan Koch has been very transparent with their growth strategy and it is waterpark and family friendly focused. If you're hoping for a giant B&M Hyper in the short near future you're gonna be very disappointed.

Is this park going to get a new thrilling steel coaster within the next 5 years, or do you think it will be more like within the next 10 years?

But Dan Koch has been very transparent with their growth strategy and it is waterpark and family friendly focused. If you're hoping for a giant B&M Hyper in the short near future you're gonna be very disappointed.

Some people just like to speculate even when it is an utter waste of time. I trust the word of the guy running the park, it is nice to see him jump in this thread every once in a while to provide updates.

After seeing the Adventureland announcement of Phoenix, I think that if ASA gets a new steel coaster at any point within the next couple years, I could see them getting a Maurer spinning coaster like Phoenix. That be family friendly, but thrilling. It would also be pretty cheap. A brand new one costs six million, but I think the one from Dixie Landin is still on the market.

• 1 month later...

Alabama Splash Adventure posted some pictures of the assembly of Galleon. It looks great! I don’t know how old it was at Bowcraft, but it looks nearly brand new. I’m glad that they are keeping the lighting package. It may seem like a small and basic addition, but it is amazing to see the dry park growing. Anything to keep the guests in the park longer, and the three additions this year will definitely keep families in the park longer.

95824F84-338E-474A-962B-0CF89D3579F6.jpeg.da8f65481baa6d094b4e2e40c15aa01d.jpeg

C518B1F3-84F8-4B2A-A4F8-68CA74C439F4.jpeg.81f21cbcbfad900cb7cc0b295d0f4bb6.jpeg

Galleon will be where the Marvel Mania once was and they'll be utilizing the same station and queue line as the roller coaster.

I would love to see another Music Express in the park, but it currently isn't in the plan. Somebody commented on their Facebook post and asked if they planned on adding a Himalaya style ride again, and they said that they currently aren't planning for it, but there's always hope for the future!

I actually love the look of the Rock'N'Tug where it is on the old ride pad. I think they made the little area look nice.

1500031395_Screenshot2019-02-05at8_28_37AM.thumb.png.b0f4611769cdff966cd685369983d902.png

Hmmm. Take this with a grain of salt, but Screamscape posted about a rumor of a new coaster coming to Alabama Splash Adventure in 2020 or 2021. If i do see a coaster coming either one of those years, I would think maybe 2021. I'm just pretty skeptical. Though then again, the park has been investing heavily into new additions these past couple years (new rides and restaurant in 2016; four new rides, a high dive show, and a new slide complex in 2018; a new ride and two new water slides in 2019). If they were to get a new coaster, I wonder what it about be or even if it would be a more family-thrill oriented coaster or an extreme coaster. I also wonder where they would put it. I think putting it in the former location of Buzzsaw Falls would be a great place for it since that old area is kind of an eyesore, it would be right at the front of the park so it can loom over the main entrance area, and it would round out that area of the park since they could then open up a pathway that connects the area of the new coaster with the area over by Galleon, Jump Around, and Crank'N'Roll. Plus then they could open up a few more stores on Main Street with the increased foot traffic in the area to increase sales and revenue.

Whatever they add, I'm sure the community would love it. From all the likes on Facebook, positive comments, and excellent reviews, the place is loved by many families in the Birmingham area. Even "small" additions like new splash pads, more lockers in the waterpark, and new pathways are greatly appreciated by customers in the area.

The Crossbow is still listed as for sale on a couple sites, but I agree! I think it would be an excellent step up from the Centi-Speed, but still not as aggressive as Rampage. Crossbow is fun with some hard g forces for a family coaster. It seems like Crossbow and Music Express were not sold yet. I’d love to see those rides come to the park, along with a new Ferris wheel

• 3 weeks later...

So it seems the park will be getting 2 of 3 coaster types in the future. The three are a water coaster (presumingly proslides), a small gerstlauer like Adrenaline Peak OR a small Gravity Group like either switchback or Kentucky Flyer.

We should know one of these, for sure, is coming so if it balled down between two, which would you prefer? The gravity group or the gerstlauer???

So it seems the park will be getting 2 of 3 coaster types in the future. The three are a water coaster (presumingly proslides), a small gerstlauer like Adrenaline Peak OR a small Gravity Group like either switchback or Kentucky Flyer.

We should know one of these, for sure, is coming so if it balled down between two, which would you prefer? The gravity group or the gerstlauer???

Why not all 3 over a 6-10 year growth period?

Also a small SBF Spinner would be perfect here.