Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1257 - World's Tallest Water Coaster coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby DILinator » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:01 pm

Ok, I this really crazy idea that I'm not even sure is possible, but it made me wonder... Would it even be possible for RMC to only convert one half of a racing roller coaster? I know typically a lot of structure is removed, and heights and things changed, but the idea of a racing or dueling coaster that was two types in an interesting thought at least... Probably not plausible, and certainly not likely. But I'm curious, nonetheless...

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby grsupercity » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:07 am

DILinator wrote:Ok, I this really crazy idea that I'm not even sure is possible, but it made me wonder... Would it even be possible for RMC to only convert one half of a racing roller coaster? I know typically a lot of structure is removed, and heights and things changed, but the idea of a racing or dueling coaster that was two types in an interesting thought at least... Probably not plausible, and certainly not likely. But I'm curious, nonetheless...

I think Six Flags and RMC are both crazy enough try it
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby RaceBoarder » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:49 am

DILinator wrote:Ok, I this really crazy idea that I'm not even sure is possible, but it made me wonder... Would it even be possible for RMC to only convert one half of a racing roller coaster? I know typically a lot of structure is removed, and heights and things changed, but the idea of a racing or dueling coaster that was two types in an interesting thought at least... Probably not plausible, and certainly not likely. But I'm curious, nonetheless...

I dunno if that would be logical from an engineering standpoint. You would basically be splitting the current structure in half since you would have significant differences in the tracks as far as location and height. From there you have to consider structures ability to take the loading.

Not saying engineers can't come up with something, but on it's face it seems like quite the task.

Postby DILinator » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:37 am

RaceBoarder wrote:

I dunno if that would be logical from an engineering standpoint. You would basically be splitting the current structure in half since you would have significant differences in the tracks as far as location and height. From there you have to consider structures ability to take the loading.

Not saying engineers can't come up with something, but on it's face it seems like quite the task.

Yeah, as a non-engineer myself, that's what seemed likely to me. It was just this vision that came through my head as I was watching that video, of half the track behind him being RMC, and it made me go "hmmm..." Definitely seems very unlikely to ever happen.

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Postby RaceBoarder » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:34 am

DILinator wrote:
RaceBoarder wrote:

Yeah, as a non-engineer myself, that's what seemed likely to me. It was just this vision that came through my head as I was watching that video, of half the track behind him being RMC, and it made me go "hmmm..." Definitely seems very unlikely to ever happen.

It's be an interesting concept for sure... Do the 1st lap in "classic" mode, following the current layout, then in lap 2, go full RMC. Basically 2 distinct rides in under 5 minutes. You couldn't race with this, as you'd have 2 very different layouts.

I'd also wonder if the switch to I-box or Topper Track would change the "classic" side as far as speed and forces generated. I mean, you could have a ton of fun with a glass smooth, quick helix on American Eagle for sure.

Postby prozach626 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:50 am

Don't touch my classics, man.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby JT325 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:26 pm

^Amen. I love Eagle, especially red. That drop is epic; the gradual speed gain and continual steepening really do it. Heck, the entire first run is already hybrid track, they did that in the early 90s.

When the big helix brakes are off, the run back home is basically “Voyage meets Phoenix.” I’d be bummed to see them RMC it.

Either way, my Six Flags days are just about over. I’d rather drive a few hours for a quality service park.
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

Postby RaceBoarder » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:55 pm

They ain't gonna have two RMC's a 30 second walk from each other... Just sayin' =)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby RCTycoonClassic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:08 pm

RaceBoarder wrote:They ain't gonna have two RMC's a 30 second walk from each other... Just sayin' =)

Totally agree with this.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby bill_s » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:42 pm

RMCs use rubberized wheels (any exceptions?) so they have to raise the lift or shorten the coaster, and change the elements towards the end to make them more exciting despite the slower speed. Regarding a mobius loop, even if the train could match the original track, the wood side would have to be completely changed. If the wood coaster was El Toro, which uses rubberized wheels, very little would have to be done, but that's unlikely.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!