Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1257 - World's Tallest Water Coaster coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby Jason Maier » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:45 pm

SharkTums wrote:^&^^&^^^ Put the ride at Knoebles...only way to see that capacity! =)

Yes, that's what I liked about Knoebels when I went back in April. Them ride ops don't muck around.

And are there any Flash Pass restrictions on Maxx Force for the moment?

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby AndrewA86 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:45 pm

JamesMC wrote:I don't Tweet so this will have to do...at SFGAM right now in line for Maxx Force. Big improvement this week with launches averaging every 105-110 seconds. The line is only 80% as long as last Tues, but moving almost 3x quicker. Got my first ride after a 32 min wait. Let's hope the trend continues.

I’m in the park today too and I thought the operations on Maxx force were very good. That line was always moving. And they were very good throughout the whole park so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby RaceBoarder » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Superbatboy wrote:
thrillrider wrote:I know dissing on six flags is the "cool thing to do", but in all honesty they are right there with other parks as far as employees hustle goes.

I feel this is a trend among enthusiasts as well. While Six Flags is farrrrr from perfect when it comes to operations, enthusiasts definitely exaggerate a bit when it comes to critiquing the chain.

Agreed. It's to the point where you almost have to ask people why they subject themselves to such horrors if they truly are as bad as they are made out to be.

Not giving a free pass here, as you can probably objectively say operations are in the 6 to 8 out of 10 range. But enthusiasts make it seem like it's a 2 or 3 :?r

Trend seems to be especially noteworthy for this park. A local SFGAm message board is always bitching about any little nitpick :roll:

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby radiohead8989 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:45 pm

Jason Maier wrote:
SharkTums wrote:^&^^&^^^ Put the ride at Knoebles...only way to see that capacity! =)

Yes, that's what I liked about Knoebels when I went back in April. Them ride ops don't muck around.

Maxx Force is only on Platinum Flash Pass, and you only get to skip the line once per day. The first 50 Diamond Elite members can use one of their two skip the line passes for Maxx Force. After they hand out 50 Skip the line passes, no one else can get one that day.

Postby JG-77 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:56 pm

Heading to the park this Friday, will have to leave around 7pm ish. I know it's only been open for a couple weeks, but any tips on getting the most reasonable wait for Maxx Force? I've already rode all the other major credits, so I'm not concerned about having enough time to do every single coaster.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Postby AndrewA86 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:16 pm

radiohead8989 wrote:
Jason Maier wrote:

Maxx Force is only on Platinum Flash Pass, and you only get to skip the line once per day. The first 50 Diamond Elite members can use one of their two skip the line passes for Maxx Force. After they hand out 50 Skip the line passes, no one else can get one that day.

Actually I was just at the park and while the website advertises what you said, there was no flash pass for Maxx Force today. An employee said there would be "soon"..

Postby AndrewA86 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:18 pm

JG-77 wrote:Heading to the park this Friday, will have to leave around 7pm ish. I know it's only been open for a couple weeks, but any tips on getting the most reasonable wait for Maxx Force? I've already rode all the other major credits, so I'm not concerned about having enough time to do every single coaster.

I got in line at about 9:10 tonight and waited less than half an hour. Would have waited even less if it didn't go down for about 10 min.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby JT2002 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:20 am

RaceBoarder wrote:
Superbatboy wrote:
thrillrider wrote:I know dissing on six flags is the "cool thing to do", but in all honesty they are right there with other parks as far as employees hustle goes.

Not giving a free pass here, as you can probably objectively say operations are in the 6 to 8 out of 10 range. But enthusiasts make it seem like it's a 2 or 3 :?r

Trend seems to be especially noteworthy for this park. A local SFGAm message board is always bitching about any little nitpick :roll:

Yes, they're literally like, "at Cedar Point they ask you how was your ride after every cycle, and that makes a huge difference, the ops at Six Flags are too lazy to do that".
#1 stop comparing Great America and Six Flags operations policy in general to Cedar Point's
and #2 little flairs like that are personal choices for ride operators (at least at Great America), if you get a shy/new operator, you probably won't get a friendly spiel on your return. That's just the luck of the draw; come back in a couple hours and you'll probably get a different experience.
I resemble that

Postby JG-77 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Just visited the park today, got in at opening and left around 4. Had a great day! Maxx Force lives up to the hype. Will likely elaborate later.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Postby JG-77 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:36 pm

I'm back at my hotel so I can make a mini report now. I'm basically just going to combine all my miscellaneous thoughts:

General notes:
    -Very hot and humid. Temperature hovered in the mid 90s and humidity was 60-70%-ish. Desperately needed a shower afterward
    -Crowds were very manageable, few significant waits, quite a few walk ons
    -Maxx Force didn't open until the mid-afternoon
    -Good ride operations overall, most trains were sent out full or with few empty seats. Goliath and Maxx Force were assigning rows. Most coasters were well staffed.
    -Train is still down, but pretty much every other ride I noticed was operating
    -Bathrooms were clean, and (most importantly) well air conditioned!
    -The member lounge (in addition to an overpriced concession stand, nice seating, and air conditioning), has coke freestyle machines! If I understand correctly from what I saw in there and what I heard from the staff member I spoke to, members can fill up any cup they want with those machines, even the plastic water cups!

Ride notes:
    -I didn't ride all the coasters since I got to everything but the 2 kiddie coasters last year, so if a ride isn't mentioned it's probably because I skipped it.
    -Whizzer was some good plain ol' fun. Very good family coaster, glad the park's taking care of it. Got on the first train of the day.
    -Viper is actually really fun. Strong lats and solid air. Came out of my seat plenty of times, especially towards the front. Definitely make sure to ride this if you visit
    -Raging Bull: trims definitely take away from the ride, but I actually enjoyed this one significantly more than last year. Riding exclusively in the back row (or maybe back two rows), all the drops were fun, and many gave decent air. The first drop is awesome! I also think the twister section at the end is somewhat underrated. Not spectacular, but fun.
    -Giant drop: Very good drop tower. It's not larson/arm, but it's forceful, and gives a nice long drop. I also appreciate the rockwork in the queue.
    -Ricochet: Never seen this type of ride before. Fun, interesting going from the fast movement when you're raise in the air to slow movement when you're near the ground. Look for offride footage of this ride to see what I mean. Fun, but not worth more than a one cycle wait.
    -Lobster: It's a shame this ride is increasingly rare, because I actually thoroughly enjoyed this. The spinning is good, and your actually get some mild air when your arm raises up. Glad I rode it.
    -Justice League: Running well, except all the screens were weirdly dark. Not sure what was up with that. Luckily all the effects were working as well as the shooting mechanism, so it was still good. Also air conditioning was very welcome. Single rider line made this a walk-on.
    -Demon: had to ride this defensively to avoid the restrain coming down too far and making the whole ride painful, but it was worth it imo for the intense loops and (most importantly) the wonderful bizarre airtime on the drop in the back row. Also I love how they kept all the cheesy effects from when the ride opened, it makes the experience just that much more fun.
    -Goliath: Just as awesome as ever. The drop gives strong ejector, the first overbank gives some funky sideways hangtime, the airtime hill and jump into brakes give more ejector. The dive loop is quite whippy, and the stall is a ton of fun. This is an excellent ride, and I can't wait to ride more RMC's (hoping to get to KD later this year for TT).
    -Batman: Took a back row ride this time and was impressed at just how intense and whippy that ride was. The loops even made my stomach drop on the way down, and all the inversions were very well executed. This ride is great!
    -Superman: Running one train, but the line was short enough and dispatches quick enough that it was manageable. The pretzel loop is awesome, and is the most intense individual element in the park (well it was, but we'll get to that ride later). The rest of the ride is fun, but nothing to write home about.
    -Dark knight: No trims! Or at least almost no trims. This thing ran super fast. I love the 'surprise' drop, and all the turns were taken at full speed. Also nice to know that the cars have zippered pouches for loose articles in addition to bins. Funny note: the screen that is supposed to replace riders' faces with the creepy mask things was broken, and was instead displaying a windows XP or vista desktop screen with what looked like an error message.
    -Maxx Force: Hooooly crap, that launch is insane. Had me screaming every time. It's like if you took that initial kick of a hydraulic launch, but instead of that initial kick wavering off, it is maintained the entire time. I was assigned to row 7 for both of my rides, so I didn't get to experience the front, but Maxx Force is now my favorite ride at the park. The little bump didn't give any air where I sat, but the rest of the ride certainly delivered. The two double inversions provide funky sideways hangtime; the first one is a bit more intense while the second one is more sustained hanging. The barrel roll provides what almost feels like a pop of upside-down airtime, and is rather whippy. There's no single rider line, but both times I rode they asked for single riders roughly around the final bend before the ramp, allowing me to skip the last 3-7 min of waiting. Flash pass seemed to be open for this ride, but idk what the restrictions are since I don't have it. Also worth noting that the large set of switchbacks look nearly finished, but were still not open. In fact, they didn't use any of the switchbacks at all, so despite the line nearly reaching the entrance gate, I only actually waited about 25 min each time (however it looked like the line grew after my second ride). Trains were generally sent out every 110-ish seconds, 30-40ish of which are spent waiting for the first train to leave the station and the seconds to arrive in its place. If six flags builds more rides like this I'd be 110% behind that. This ride is a winner!

I would upload pictures but the process of getting the pictures from my phone to TPR is rather annoying; however, if anyone really wants to see pictures of the glitched out Dark Knight screen or the almost complete Maxx Force switchbacks, let me know and I'll upload them.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!