Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1191 - Maxx Force Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:50 am

I feel like Six Flags probably got a great deal here.

From what I can tell, the park was being run by the local parks district (so like... the people who are responsible for small public community parks) and it sounds like it was too large and volatile for them to handle. The head of the park district recently said that they wanted to sell or lease it because "Magic Waters because it’s so weather-dependent out there and when we have a bad summer, it really affects the whole park district financially.” (link).

So it looks like it was a burden on the city and they had bipartisan support to unload it. I don't think this is going to lead to massive growth or anything, but if Six Flags sees a small increase in their passholder base (they've undoubtedly added a lot of value to the Six Flags membership for anyone in this area) and if this place is even slightly profitable it's probably a good deal for the right price.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Danrarbc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:07 am

coasterbill wrote:I feel like Six Flags probably got a great deal here.

From what I can tell, the park was being run by the local parks district (so like... the people who are responsible for small public community parks) and it sounds like it was too large and volatile for them to handle. The head of the park district recently said that they wanted to sell or lease it because "Magic Waters because it’s so weather-dependent out there and when we have a bad summer, it really affects the whole park district financially.” (link).

So it looks like it was a burden on the city and they had bipartisan support to unload it. I don't think this is going to lead to massive growth or anything, but if Six Flags sees a small increase in their passholder base (they've undoubtedly added a lot of value to the Six Flags membership for anyone in this area) and if this place is even slightly profitable it's probably a good deal for the right price.

Yeah I kinda forgot this was a lease agreement, not a purchase, for a second.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:10 pm

Sounds good to me. Rockford isn't very far from Great America, so for residents there getting both parks for one price is probably appealing. Win for Rockford Parks District, win for Six Flags.

Postby Danrarbc » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:58 pm

During my visit this weekend I definitely saw lights installed for HITP in every single section of the park including Southwest Territory. Great America is almost certainly going to attempt to open the entire park.

As for rides X-Flight might be the biggest question B&M-wise. There are a few stall elements designed to hang you upside down for longer than you'd experience on older style rides. As the wheel lubricant thickens those stalls might become rollbacks. Goliath will probably be fine. American Eagle and Viper both have those high turns that you take at lower speeds - they might not run once the low 20s hit.

Nitro in Great Adventure doesn't handle the cold as well as other rides in that park, but Raging Bull seems to be a bit more 'downhill' of a layout. With the trim off I could actually see it running pretty well at low temps. If it has to stop on the MCBR it might crawl back to the station though.

I would say Chicago is probably going to Six Flags' hardest winter test, but St. Louis already hit single digit temperatures and showed what some limits are. Heaters in the stations aimed at the rolling stock can help. Great Adventure has some but they aren't used in St. Louis, maybe that could have kept a few rides running. I hope Sky Trek Tower is reopened for the event - it'd be a great way to see the lights.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:06 am

I'm shocked that they're seriously going to open the entire park but Justice League's location did put them in a tough spot.

The coaster collection is bound to be really solid. Batman is confirmed, Dark Knight is a given, Superman and Joker are shown in their promo video and they run them at their other cold weather parks so I would think those will most likely be open. Already that's impressive, and anything else is a bonus. I feel like X Flight is highly likely and the other steel coasters are mostly a toss up. I don't *really* expect them to open Raging Bull but that would be hilarious and I mean... they are Six Flags. I wouldn't put be shocked if they go for it. :lol:

Danrarbc wrote:As for rides X-Flight might be the biggest question B&M-wise. There are a few stall elements designed to hang you upside down for longer than you'd experience on older style rides. As the wheel lubricant thickens those stalls might become rollbacks. Goliath will probably be fine. American Eagle and Viper both have those high turns that you take at lower speeds - they might not run once the low 20s hit.

Nitro in Great Adventure doesn't handle the cold as well as other rides in that park, but Raging Bull seems to be a bit more 'downhill' of a layout. With the trim off I could actually see it running pretty well at low temps. If it has to stop on the MCBR it might crawl back to the station though.

I would say Chicago is probably going to Six Flags' hardest winter test, but St. Louis already hit single digit temperatures and showed what some limits are. Heaters in the stations aimed at the rolling stock can help. Great Adventure has some but they aren't used in St. Louis, maybe that could have kept a few rides running. I hope Sky Trek Tower is reopened for the event - it'd be a great way to see the lights.

Great Adventure doesn't use wheel heaters on anything but New England does on every single coaster (aside from Fireball ;) and Flashback). I would expect Great America to use them also (though Batman honestly doesn't need them and Superman probably doesn't either).

Personally I'd be shocked if they open Goliath. I'd be even more shocked if they open Viper and American Eagle though. They're set way back and they're honestly just easy to close since nobody would really care. Plus do you really expect them to shovel that American Eagle queue? Thoughts and prayers for the poor bastard that has to do that.

Even with all of the pathways open I would expect a decent amount of closed coasters.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby B&MGuy35 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:38 am

I’m confused on why so many are shocked about the whole park opening. It was confirmed by the park after the announcement of HITP that it would be. Plus lights went up months ago now that pretty much confirmed it. I’m thinking Viper & Whizzer May be periodically closed due to MF construction but maybe the bulk of it will start after the holidays.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:05 am

B&MGuy35 wrote:I’m confused on why so many are shocked about the whole park opening.

Because it's the only seasonal park in the chain where they opened the entire park except for Six Flags over Texas (which probably won't be seasonal for long) and it's insane and amazing because it's north of Chicago in December. :lol:

That said, just because all of the midways are open doesn't mean all of the coasters will be. Nobody should seriously expect that.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby bluestreak » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Excited to make my now yearly trip from Cleveland to the park Friday and Saturday.
We'll be at the park the entire time they're open Friday and from opening till about 7 on Saturday. Anything worth noting that's not operating or any issues I should be aware of?
Also, what kind of crowds are we talking about this weekend. I fully expect it to be packed Friday and even worse Saturday. I'm more curious about the Friday crowds I guess since we all know what Saturdays are like during haunt events. Will flash pass be worth it ($150 each) on Saturday if we're only gonna be there about 8 hours?

Thanks in advance!
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Postby Danrarbc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:55 pm

bluestreak wrote:Excited to make my now yearly trip from Cleveland to the park Friday and Saturday.
We'll be at the park the entire time they're open Friday and from opening till about 7 on Saturday. Anything worth noting that's not operating or any issues I should be aware of?
Also, what kind of crowds are we talking about this weekend. I fully expect it to be packed Friday and even worse Saturday. I'm more curious about the Friday crowds I guess since we all know what Saturdays are like during haunt events. Will flash pass be worth it ($150 each) on Saturday if we're only gonna be there about 8 hours?

Thanks in advance!

Last Friday almost everything was a walk on. But it was also cold.

If you only have 8 hours on a Fright Fest Saturday Flash Pass will be essential if you hope to ride more than 4 things.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby bluestreak » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:26 am

I think it's supposed to be cold this friday as well. I'm surprised that would cause the park to be empty but hey I'm not complaining if that's the case this weekend.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!