Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

P. 153 - All the Six Flags 2020 Announcements!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Six Flags Bankruptcy & Restructuring Discussion

Postby larrygator » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:06 pm

There is really no need for anyone to get all worked up over this speculation because there will not be a merger.

Apollo is not taking over Cedar Fair, shareholders are not voting that way.

In my opinion neither company taking over the other would wreck anything, because both companies are a mess. Both companies have proven that they can not expand successfully when this much debt is involved.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

You can just skip over my posts.

Postby SFA Regular » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:17 pm

larrygator wrote:There is really no need for anyone to get all worked up over this speculation because there will not be a merger.

Apollo is not taking over Cedar Fair, shareholders are not voting that way.

In my opinion neither company taking over the other would wreck anything, because both companies are a mess. Both companies have proven that they can not expand successfully when this much debt is involved.

Over all I just want a better corporate management.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:23 pm

^Agreed

However, better corporate management = better fiscal practices = higher prices on season passes.

That is what the parks need, but a lot of enthusiasts are just looking for the cheapest price.
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:24 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby SFA Regular » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:51 pm

larrygator wrote:^Agreed

However, better corporate management = better fiscal practices = higher prices on season passes.

That is what the parks need, but a lot of enthusiasts are just looking for the cheapest price.

Today I noticed something very odd. The premium pass upgrade is now going to cost be $24.99. The previous years, it only cost me $19.99. So now I am paying $74.98 for a premium pass. The upgrades you get with the pass are no different then the upgrades from the previous years. This is why I am questioning the current management. Like I mentioned before, I think they should introduce a perk where Premium Pass members can enter the park 30 minutes before the park opens and then granted ETR after the park closes. Here is the link to the price for how much its going to cost me for Premium Pass at Six Flags America.

http://www.sixflags.com/america/tickets/SeasonPass.aspx

This is why I think Cedar could manage the parks better. Their prices are reasonable for what they are giving you. That and for Kings Dominion, they do a Twilight discount for single day tickets. If you come after 4:00 p.m. its only like 30 dollars for a ticket. These are little perks that could really help Six Flags parks.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:37 pm

^...Or perhaps Six Flags has realized that their plan of "giving away the gate" was a bad idea and they are looking to correct that by pricing the pass at a point where its still a good value to the consumer and not dirt cheap.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby triggernel » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:44 pm

I don't know if I agree with the whole let CF be the one to rehab all the rides. I would much rather have the retheme's done by SF. A great example is The Crypt at KI and KD. A retheme by SF to me is the only way the rides could be returned to what they once were.
Snoochie Boochie

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:05 pm

All companies have to adjust given the changing customer. For example, SFMM was scary ghetto a few years back, so they had to be dirt cheap to get people to go. As they added rides, and cleaned the park up, the customers are willing to pay a little more. I don't think it was necessarily a horrible idea at the time (but they are bankrupt ;) ), but it definitely needed to be updated, and they seem to be doing it. SF was definitely mismanaged and made some really bad investments, but hopefully once everything gets settled it will be a better place.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:29 am

SFA Regular wrote:The premium pass upgrade is now going to cost be $24.99. The previous years, it only cost me $19.99.

You're questioning management over a $5 increase? That pass gets you into the entire chain for $75. That's peanuts. I remember Kings Island single park passes going for around $65 back in '91 to '92.

You have a reasonable point that they could sell more premium passes with better perks like early entry. However, Larry is right here. Six Flags has to raise prices. Their current pricing structure won them a fabulous trip to bankruptcy court.

Let's be honest about what your real issue is here: Six Flags has neglected SFA. No major adds for a long time. But that park is in a unique situation. All that land that could be a windfall for the company when the real estate market rebounds. If you think Cedar Fair is going to magically change the economics of that, you've got another thing coming.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Postby SFA Regular » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:27 am

triggernel wrote:I don't know if I agree with the whole let CF be the one to rehab all the rides. I would much rather have the retheme's done by SF. A great example is The Crypt at KI and KD. A retheme by SF to me is the only way the rides could be returned to what they once were.

I would rather have the rides work, than for Six Flags to re-theme them. Would you rather Six Flags also handle the maintenance to the Cedar Fair parks? I'm almost willing to put money that the rides would start experiencing more delays than what people there are use to seeing. But I like how this conversation is going. We all have different thoughts and opinions on what may happen if Apollo gets Cedar Fair. I enjoy talking with all of you.

Now, as for the real-estate comment that was made; are you saying that the company would benefit selling the parks land for real-estate? Or did you mean, sell some of the extra land it has to build houses and still keep the park? I'm confused. But with the park doing pretty good in this tough economy, I think it would be a bad move for them to close it down. They could make more money, selling it to another company. And to add another thing, that area does not need anymore houses. P.G. County has enough homes than what people can afford right now.

Lets take a break from rehabs and talk about Fright Fest. How many of you think that Cedar Fair parks Halloween attractions are better than the ones that Six Flags has set up right now? I personally would like to see Six Flags haunted attractions become scarier like Kings Dominion and Kings Island. Those haunted houses were a success. Even though they had to close down Flight of Fear in order to do Alien: Outpost; it was still cool. I will support my statement, that the current management of Six Flags, has made the Fright Fest attractions too family friendly. I miss the old Fright Fest where everything was scary.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dellice45 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:11 pm

At the NorEaster Event Sat. SFNE Park GM Larry Litton stated that Six Flags is not for sale and the rumor is false. Hopefully that helps everybody with the rumor.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!