Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

P. 156: Mike Spanos to become President & CEO of Six Flags
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

Postby Lemur » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:13 pm

Mike240SX wrote:If it's just "me and my coaster nerd buddies," why does every other theme park chain in the US, possibly the world, target opening their "New for Year X" rides towards the beginning of that season? Six Flags caught plenty of flack from the "GP" on Facebook for WCR, so it's not just us.

No they don't. The comments on their pages are entirely people tagging their friends and the occasional coaster nerd sucking their teeth and complaining about a ride note being open. Man, you just *love* that hyperbole.

Also, check your tone, newbie.

Ooooooh, look, it's an internet tough guy. Or what? You'll call out the 102nd Chairborne?

We're not entitled to anything more than what they advertise. Had they come out and said "WCR won't open until the very, very, end of 2019," this wouldn't be an issue.

So you're saying what? That SIX intentionally kept stringing people along with the open date of a multi-million dollar project? Don't you think they would have opening it earlier if they could? Would have advertised a hard and fast date if they could? Do you think they wanted to have happen to that project what happened to American Dream? How does that make them money, Mike? Because that's the point, it's to make money.

You clearly are a Six Flags fanboy if you're defending this practice, which, again, no one else in the industry does.

No, I'm a realist and not a frothing-at-the-mouth coaster nerd. Again, let me ask the question ... why would you open on the same day *every other chain* is opening? Why split your hardcore 10% coaster nerd fan base who will show up in the cold and the wet? Why make someone choose between Hershey, Great Adventure or Kings Dominion? Someone has to lose that contest, so why bother competing?

You might try to write off SFMM since they're a year-round park, but you don't announce something in 2018 as a "New for 2019" ride and then open it at the end of December regardless of your operating calendar.

No, I'm writing off an anomalous event in an anomalous park. You can't compare Jersey Devil to West Coast Racers, even when it comes to construction practices because the circumstances surrounding the two projects are so divergent. Different parks, different operating season, different climates, different manufactures, different coaster models.

bengalsguy wrote:regardless of opening absurdly late like WCR. Opening mid summer doesn't seem like the best business model. The slowest time of the year for most seasonal parks is the first couple of months like April may and even the beginning of June. If you open a brand new massive rollercoaster I would think you would want it to open for those months so you can try and maximize attendance early when its slower. Hence why Cedar Fair likes to have a gold pass last day sales date to incentives people to buy their pass before summer and hopefully come earlier.

This guy gets it.[/quote]

Again, different business practices. Memorial Day is the traditional start of summer, so to call it "mid-summer" is disingenous, unless you're referring specifically to Jersey Devil's rumored late June opening, and even then it's still a bit much to be calling it "mid-summer". Furthermore, you're talking about a coaster in a park that had to claw back it's operating season last year because of spring snows. And there are other ways to drive attendance that don't involve competing with every other park for the hardcore 10% of coaster nerds who will turn out for this sort of event, such as an opening day membership pin event. Also, for a bunch of park nerds, you'd think you guys would keep in mind how much time you spend complaining about early season staffing and ops to know that jamming a partially staffed park full isn't a really good idea for building long-term good will.

That said, whether or not you *like* these practices, but they aren't wrong. They just aren't what you want.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby bengalsguy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:19 pm

^ I'm not sure how it affects year around operating parks but if I am a seasonal park I have a certain amount of days to get people to come visit that year after they bought their pass or planning to come with tickets. A major new attraction is going to influence when a guest visits the park. Someone with season passes who visit the park each year are going to go more during the begging of the year if there's something new for them to ride. Someone buying tickets might say I don't want to go yet until the new ride is open. This is a huge missed opportunity as you never want people postponing visits or visiting less. In terms of staffing when I worked at Kings Island we never had staffing issues in the beginning of the year. All of the staffing problems came in August and during Haunt. It's not just a bunch of Coaster Nerds who care about a new roller coaster. New ride are very important to the general public too.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Manic Monte » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:34 pm

I see nothing wrong with opening a new attraction in June or even July. WCR is an extreme example that other parks in the chain shouldn't have to take the blame for.

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:36 pm

Lemur wrote:A whole bunch of angry crap that makes him feel superior

You OK, guy? Because you seem irrationally angry about mechanical flippy-doo contraptions. All we're trying to say is that when a park uses a large new attraction to drive annual pass sales, then fails to open said attraction in a timely fashion, they're kind of a dick and toes the line for false advertising laws.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:03 pm

KBrylczyk wrote:You OK, guy? Because you seem irrationally angry about mechanical flippy-doo contraptions. All we're trying to say is that when a park uses a large new attraction to drive annual pass sales, then fails to open said attraction in a timely fashion, they're kind of a dick and toes the line for false advertising laws.

And even then, annual passholders wouldn't have been able to ride it in 2019, right? Didn't they only open it for people in their membership program?
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Haymaker » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:25 pm

A.J. wrote:
The most recent example of this is Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway at Disney's Hollywood Studios - it had a bunch of delays but was eventually confirmed for March of this year back in December, and, sure enough, FastPass booking for a March 4th opening just opened up a few days ago (I didn't get one, sad face).

I have bad luck with this one. We check out Feb 29. :?r

Also have to sneak in Splash Mountain and Test Track at the end due to refurbishments.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:59 am

KBrylczyk wrote:
Lemur wrote:A whole bunch of angry crap that makes him feel superior

You OK, guy? Because you seem irrationally angry about mechanical flippy-doo contraptions.

I like his condescending term "coaster nerds," which he feels the need to use repeatedly. We're all "coaster nerds," yet this dude is triggered by a difference of opinion in roller coaster industry business practices.

We're nerds. He is not a nerd. Reality check time.

I feel that a lot of average consumers would be slightly let down if they visited a park and saw that the brand new advertised attraction wasn't open, yet. Six Flags' estimated new ride opening dates: "Eh... Whenever." I guess if it wasn't such a budget oriented chain people might have more of a reason to be upset. You get what you pay for, I suppose. Either way, people have a right to disagree with their business practices. It doesn't make them entitled to express their opinions on a discussion forum. There's no reason to get upset or come off as irrational.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:27 am

Interesting discussion but man some people need to chill out a bit. Relax, it's not that serious. :lol:
Last edited by coasterbill on Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:31 am.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:33 am

coasterbill wrote:Interesting discussion but man some people need to chill out a bit. Relax, it's not that serious. :lol:

100% agreed. I was close to hitting the "ban button" on a couple of people who were getting a bit too emotional, but I'll wait and see if they can chill a bit and start acting a bit more "normal." (looking at you Lemur...)

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby joelwee » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:03 pm

A.J. wrote:
KBrylczyk wrote:You OK, guy? Because you seem irrationally angry about mechanical flippy-doo contraptions. All we're trying to say is that when a park uses a large new attraction to drive annual pass sales, then fails to open said attraction in a timely fashion, they're kind of a dick and toes the line for false advertising laws.

And even then, annual passholders wouldn't have been able to ride it in 2019, right? Didn't they only open it for people in their membership program?

The first preview weekend (Dec. 21 and 22) was members only, but both members and season passholders were able to ride it every day after that. I have a Gold Season Pass and rode it on Christmas Eve.
Seat, don't fail me now!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!