Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

P. 130 - Six Flags 2019 Announcements
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Re: Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:06 am

coasterbill wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:the logical conclusion is that they don't really give two shakes about auxiliary revenue from concessions and retail

I'm not willing to go that far, I just think they like to mitigate risk / overhead by keeping staffing levels at an absolute minimum. Do they lose out on some revenue on busy days by doing that? Probably. Do they make more money over the course of a long season? I have no idea.

Yeah, honestly, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to keep a park staffed when you rely on seasonal help. The 365 park have an advantage, as they can offer year round employment, but they still run into the same problem: people who work for $8 an hour and want to work in parks generally tend to be students, so their services are inherently going to revolve around the school year. Its not just the cash outlay, but also the logistics of working with a limited labor pool.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:10 pm

coasterbill wrote:
DirkFunk wrote:Then they can move the staff back to primarily working on making it.

... or just cut those positions entirely and keep churning out food at the same glacial pace that they do now. My money is on that option.

I authentically think they'd do that. I chalk their low staffing up more to the job market being hyper competitive. I even think going year round at multiple parks is a sort of retention strategy (also revenue on infrastructure they have to maintain anyways) to replace increasing wages.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:59 am

DirkFunk wrote:
coasterbill wrote:
DirkFunk wrote:Then they can move the staff back to primarily working on making it.

... or just cut those positions entirely and keep churning out food at the same glacial pace that they do now. My money is on that option.

I authentically think they'd do that. I chalk their low staffing up more to the job market being hyper competitive. I even think going year round at multiple parks is a sort of retention strategy (also revenue on infrastructure they have to maintain anyways) to replace increasing wages.

But at the end of the day it still comes down to economics. Sure, they can claim that its a tight job market and maybe some people will believe them, but if they decided to pay them $18 an hour instead of $8 an hour and trained them well, people would be lining up outside the gates to work there. So it comes down to cost. They want to keep plowing $8 an hour into employees and that's that. So it will always be a tight labor market for them. Who wants to work for $8 an hour to get yelled at all day and stand in the sun?

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby TheAmericanKnight » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:06 am

So, there's a Six Flags Vaporwave video out now.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!