Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

P. 130 - Six Flags 2019 Announcements
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby nitrofan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:43 pm

DBru wrote:
EnglndPatriots6 wrote:Well they bought KI. And im just saying they have like all the major parks in the Ohio Valley Region. If they took KK i wouldnt mind, maybe we would get a new coaster or something.

Let's think about this one...Geauga Lake was Cedar Point's closest competition. SFKK is Kings Island's closest competition.

So if Cedar Fair was to buy SFKK...

Isn't there some contract on SFKK with the Kentucky State Fair that someone has to operate the park as the fairgrounds or something?

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby cathyJ » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:52 am

goatdan wrote:But here's the thing -- I think most people are looking at this like Circuit City or the auto industry, and it isn't like them in either way.

Circuit City had a huge debt load and tons of stores that were not making much (if any) money. Their stores were worth more closed and liquidated then they were open, so that is exactly what happened -- the Circuit City stores closed and were liquidated.

Another big problem Circuit City had was when some years back the chain fired a large number of employees who were experienced with the things they sold in favor of "cheaper" employees who really didn't know the merchandise they sold. Like what happened to to my brother last year at Circuit City. He was looking for a Direct TV system and asked the employee on duty advice only to get "..well all TV's are Direct TV..you can place it DIRECT of anything you want". The employee was NOT joking.
He really had not a clue as to what Direct TV really was. He ended up going to Best Buy instead.

Anyway there were many many people who never did forgive Circuit City for pulling a stunt like that.

Some of you may remember Montgomery Ward. Same thing here too. Many employees who knew their stuff were fired while those who know nothing kept their jobs...then the chain filed bankruptcy and well one just can't expect a chain to be a success if the employee behind the register says "...we don't sell bed spreads" when right behind them is..well bed spreads.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby tntornadox » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:49 pm

^ Excellent post, however it is not entirely the retail chain's fault- the consumer wants cheaper merchandise and is not willing to pay the price usually for good service, so the stores who do attempt to provide excellent service and pay their employees a decent wage are unable to compete in the marketplace, cuts must be made to stay profitable.

Case in point, traditional department stores (such as Sears or JCPenney) who still do cling to traditional customer service and flood the floor with salespeople have been suffering greatly the past decade or so as consumers head to discount stores, they are unable to compete due to the high overhead involved, whereas Walmart runs with the bare minimum of employees and therefore can charge alot less.

Consumers drive the market.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby ghost007jas » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:24 pm

It depends on what kind of retail you're selling as well. I don't need anyone's input on buying a new, $20 LEGO set, but I might like some advice when I'm looking into purchasing a $2000 computer.

Vote in the Coasterdom Coaster Championship every M/W/F!

Cockroach and rat free since 2002!

Postby Bolliger&Mabillard » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:56 pm

^And as tntornadox best sums up, Walmart can have an unqualified person to sell you that $2,000 computer for 8 bucks an hour rather than, say 15 like Best Buy would. Walmarts ability to achieve the same result with limited input makes it difficult for Best Buy to keep the trained or knowledgable staff and sustain its standards. The same could be said in SF's case when it comes to the quality of guest service that has been delivered within the past decade (for the benefit of doubt of the new management, I'll identify this decade from 1995 to 2005) The park was content with providing bare minimums. Was the guest service at Six Flags horrible during this period? Not entirely, but bad enough that it left an image on parkgoers minds that have yet to be relinquished. However, Six Flags has not enjoyed the same benefits as say, Walmart despite similar input practices.
Now that the chain is doing noticibly better (I wouldn't say it's a full 180 yet) it's still stuck with a decade of subpar service and quality standards from that "decade" still fresh on everyones minds. Because Six Flags is still in a state of recovery from this decade, it is hard to get it to the level of quality that will not only make the name a success, but dominate in it's market (which I know it has the potential to do, but potential is different from actualizing). It's going to be hard for Six Flags to move forward right now, because working with the limited resources they have can only do so much. It's almost as if they're going to have to get better, and more efficient, and more friendlier, and all around become a better value, without having the means to do it.
"...and SuperKing, the best one of the three!"

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby TYTL » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:41 pm

I remember the first time I've been to SFGAdv. We were looking for an employee that could direct us to ride X (Not the 4D coater in MM). They were like "Uh, that ride isn't here." In fact, ride X WAS there, but we just couldn't find it. On the other hand, at Hershey, the employees seem to know the place like it's their house.
''When in doubt, C4.'' -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters :devil:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:33 pm

Here's a link to the latest earning news regarding Six Flags: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/six-flags-announces-third-quarter,1024829.shtml.

Not surprisingly, revenues in the third quarter have decreased from the same quarter last year--by 7 percent--due to declining attendance, reduced spending per guest, and other factors.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:40 pm

Although the Company benefitted from increased single-day ticket and season pass attendance, this was more than offset by a decline in group sales, reflecting cutbacks in outings by companies, schools and other organizations, and reduced complimentary and free promotional tickets.

So the "Staycation" theory was sort of true for Six Flags, but sort of not as well.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Cockroach and rat free since 2002!

Postby Bolliger&Mabillard » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:25 pm

^I'd moreso say that the "STAYcation" theory was just something that workerd in theory. Single day admission is always a variable. Somedays people come in droves-somedays they don't. The one constant thing seasonal parks tend to see is groups, private parties, and special events. Something the chain claims to have seen a drop in.
"...and SuperKing, the best one of the three!"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:29 pm

^It possibly worked in reality, but not enough to offset their losses in other areas. I was always skeptical of Shapiro's claims that the recession was great news for Six Flags.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!