The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby SoCalJasonland » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:13 pm

This is the old folk song we used to sing while we were building' the log ride:

I got my first real construction job
Got it at the Knotts Berry Farm
Worked it 'til my fingers bled
Was the summer of sixty-nine

Me and some guys from school
Worked together and we tried real hard
Jimmy quit, Jody got married
I should've known we'd never get far

Oh, when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Yeah, I'd always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life

Oh, yeah
Back in the summer of sixty-nine, oh
We were building that log ride in sixty-nine
Yeah
I love to roam where the wild things are.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby joelwee » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Anyone interested in a discounted Knott's Berry Farm Hotel room on the night of Saturday, 8/17/19?

I had set up a group rate at the hotel for the nights of 8/16 and 8/17 for my wedding, but most of my friends and family decided to only stay Friday night and I still have a bunch of openings for Saturday. Unfortunately, I've already signed a contract for both those nights and will be penalized if I don't fill the rooms for both nights. So if you're looking for a Saturday night getaway at Knott's, this is the perfect opportunity to go cheap!

The rates are $139 (incl. parking) for a standard room (2 double beds OR 1 king bed) and $189 (incl. parking) for an oversized room. The normal rates for those rooms are $179 and $239 + parking, respectively. There are 10 rooms that need to be filled.

To get these rates, call the hotel at 714-995-1111 and book under "Joe's and Iona's Wedding".

The deadline to book is this Tuesday, 7/23/19, at 4pm.
Seat, don't fail me now!

I Love Donkeys!

New Knott's Scary Farm Documentary

Postby silentabomb » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:04 am

Here is a brand new documentary on how sliding began and the people that invented it, and how it is now seen at every Halloween event around the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHCxFYjXvnw

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Re: New Knott's Scary Farm Documentary

Postby firebird81 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:42 am

very well done video!

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:06 pm

Going to CA in Early Sept, what are the crowds like at KBF on a weekday vs weekend?
Is there any capacity difference on a weekday? Ive heard SFMM despite being much less crowded, has such slow/1 train ops its more worth going a weekend.... any issue like that here?
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:28 pm

JJLehto wrote:Going to CA in Early Sept, what are the crowds like at KBF on a weekday vs weekend?
Is there any capacity difference on a weekday? Ive heard SFMM despite being much less crowded, has such slow/1 train ops its more worth going a weekend.... any issue like that here?

Weekdays in September are a great time to visit since it is after school starts again but before Haunt. Weekends during this time are OK too, but of course the weekdays will always be less crowded.

Operations should be fine. GhostRider, HangTime, and Silver Bullet all have a third train that gets cycled through maintenance, so they almost always run two trains - even on the most dead days in the middle of February. Even Sierra Sidewinder and Pony Express are quite rarely on single train operations. In September you should be just fine.

Xcelerator on the other hand is a whole different story. It has been running one train for almost a year now I believe and the other is still in pieces next to the brake run. There is a chance the second train could be reassembled by then, but I would expect one train operations on Xcelerator. The difference between one and two trains on that ride is quite minimal anyway in terms of capacity. Just make it your second ride (after GhostRider) and there won't be a line. It takes a couple hours for crowds to spread back to the Boardwalk.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:29 pm

^ I agree it's important to get to Xcelerator after GhostRider. While GhostRider has the worst wait in the park by far, Xcelerator's queue for the front row starts pretty far back so it's always packed if you want the best seat.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:35 pm

JJLehto wrote:Going to CA in Early Sept, what are the crowds like at KBF on a weekday vs weekend?

it's not showing right now, which is good, but, often ghostrider goes down right after labor day. so hopefully, they changed it this year and it's staying open. pretty sure they would have had it posted already.

i'd definitely do both parks on weekdays. sfmm can bust out one train ops anytime. doesn't matter how crowded or not it is. but weekdays after labor day are dead.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:23 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ I agree it's important to get to Xcelerator after GhostRider. While GhostRider has the worst wait in the park by far, Xcelerator's queue for the front row starts pretty far back so it's always packed if you want the best seat.

Also, for what it's worth, I would disagree and say Xcelerator has the worst line in the park. Both lines move slowly, but GhostRider's actually seems to be getting a bit better. The last few times I've visited this summer they have had a grouper and fill up almost every single seat on the train each dispatch. They also have seem to cut down on the disability skip-the-lines (I really think it was being abused) and they often dispatch before the other train stacks, or very shortly after. Almost the entire queue is indoors as well and out of the sun. I have waited in the line countless times and would say an entirely full building (both levels) with two train operation is about 70-90 minutes. And if you visit on a weekend or fairly busy day, the single rider line is usually open.

Xcelerator on the other hand is all outside, inches along very slowly since they dispatch roughly every 5 minutes. Several empty seats also go empty every dispatch since the loading gates are per car, not per row. And the front row line is miserable if it's any longer than outside the station. Since the front row has it's own line, that also means only a maximum of 16 people can load per dispatch, but we all know this isn't true. They also have one of the seats in the back car closed off for whatever reason (this could totally change by September though).

To summarize: GhostRider's capacity is still below average, but the line is shaded and moves at a steady pace. Xcelerator's just flat out sucks. I still recommend doing GhostRider first though, that way you can get short lines on both coasters.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:44 pm

Thanks all. As always the tips and info are priceless.
Sadly the time slot is non negotiable so yeah I hope Ghostrider stays open. That's one of the rides I'm more excited about.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!