Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:57 am

Here is the construction on the former site of the church. It doesn’t look like a storage warehouse but it might be offices. Maybe they are freeing up room by ghostrider!! Fingers crossed!
Attachments
1B0685D3-8A05-49FF-9B15-64A4740BB082.jpeg
Construction on the former Church site

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Xcelerator has been closed for the past three days for what I hope is a minor issue or rehab. Realistically speaking, how many years left do you all see in Xcelerator future?

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:48 pm

^^Isn't that the picnic area?

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:36 am

Jew wrote:^^Isn't that the picnic area?


looks like it to me. right near the pathway.

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:17 am

KnottsBerryMountain wrote:Realistically speaking, how many years left do you all see in Xcelerator future?


Xcelerator will be there until they find something better to replace it. I pray to gawd this B&M dive garbage trend is done by then. Ugh.

It kind of boggles my mind CP gets TTD going pretty consistently, but KBF has a pretty terrible Xcelerator track record with keeping the ride open especially the past couple years. I would argue over the past 5 years TTD even with its limited seasonal CP schedule has probably been open more days than Xcelerator has been with a yearly schedule.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with the footprint? For example, Xcelerators launch is probably half the length of TTD, but goes 70% as fast. The tophat on Xcelerator definitely gives some airtime while TTD kinda lacks that, so also more wear on the trains.

I have to believe it's a budget thing. When I walk around KBF, it just does NOT seem to get any love anymore. Yeah, they popped in that dive thingy coaster, but I dunno. Ever since Cedar Fair bought it KBF just seems like a "for sure" cash grab and it just doesn't seem like the park gets the upkeep love and attention it needs. Which sucks because the park used to have so much charm, and when I've visited it just seems like it's gone now.

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:00 am

SteVeUrkle wrote: I would argue over the past 5 years TTD even with its limited seasonal CP schedule has probably been open more days than Xcelerator has been with a yearly schedule.


I'm sorry, but I am going to respectfully disagree with this. This huge closure that lasted from July of last year to March of this year was really the ride's first major issue since the cable incident back in late 2009 (and even then, the ride was only closed for 7 months from Sept to April). Other than those two major repairs, the ride has operated VERY consistently. Yes, a lot of times with only one train, but they ran two trains for almost a full year in 2016-2017 before the ride closed last July.

The ride does have issues, and like you said especially over the last year, but there is absolutely no way that TTD has operated more days in the last 5 years than Xcelerator. Absolutely no way.

EDIT: ^And also, while I agree much of the charm was taken away in the early-mid 2000s when Cedar Fair was plopping coasters in the park left and right, I would argue Knott's is a MUCH better place now than it was 6-7 years ago when Kinzel left office. So much of the park has been upgraded, restored, refurbished, and improved in the last 7 years under Ouimet/Zimmermann. Not trying to sound like a fanboy, but I'm sure other people agree.

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:06 am

When I've visited Knott's, I've never seen Xcelerator break down. Whereas every single time I get in line for Top Thrill Dragster,it seems to go down for a 10-15 minute breakdown.

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:19 am

SteVeUrkle wrote:
KnottsBerryMountain wrote:Realistically speaking, how many years left do you all see in Xcelerator future?


Xcelerator will be there until they find something better to replace it. I pray to gawd this B&M dive garbage trend is done by then. Ugh.

It kind of boggles my mind CP gets TTD going pretty consistently, but KBF has a pretty terrible Xcelerator track record with keeping the ride open especially the past couple years. I would argue over the past 5 years TTD even with its limited seasonal CP schedule has probably been open more days than Xcelerator has been with a yearly schedule.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with the footprint? For example, Xcelerators launch is probably half the length of TTD, but goes 70% as fast. The tophat on Xcelerator definitely gives some airtime while TTD kinda lacks that, so also more wear on the trains.

I have to believe it's a budget thing. When I walk around KBF, it just does NOT seem to get any love anymore. Yeah, they popped in that dive thingy coaster, but I dunno. Ever since Cedar Fair bought it KBF just seems like a "for sure" cash grab and it just doesn't seem like the park gets the upkeep love and attention it needs. Which sucks because the park used to have so much charm, and when I've visited it just seems like it's gone now.



:lol: :lol:

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:07 am

I'm visiting California for the first time in September. Thinking of hitting up Knott's on Friday the 21st or the following weekend, since the haunts are on and night rides are in. What tips can you guys give me for riding the coaster as many times as humanly possible? The hotel doesn't seem to give early entry, and Fast/Frightlane looks like it's on the cards, maybe. Is Xcelerator really that unreliable?

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:15 am

jtaudioacc wrote:
Jew wrote:^^Isn't that the picnic area?


looks like it to me. right near the pathway.


Yes, you guys are right. This is the picnic area, not the old church site.
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS