Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

P. 85: New castle and Frozen expansion details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:17 pm

^^^I doubt it'd be an effective PR stunt. The only six people who'd care have already posted here.

If you want to read an entirely different response to this story, go check out the forums on FARK (where I blatantly stole the link from). There's about three "Mickey Mao" jokes, then it all goes downhill into a Communist debate from there.

The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:26 pm

Urinating in the non-smoking areas ... Smoking in the grass ... What has gotten into these people. Too much western culture, that what I say!

Ted

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Jose Eber » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:40 pm

Mulchpuppy wrote:^^^I doubt it'd be an effective PR stunt. The only six people who'd care have already posted here.

I didn't say it was an effective PR stunt, just a stunt. lol I would find it funny, but I don't have the guts to do something like that, even as a joke and photograph it.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Jose Eber » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:42 pm

lets raise my shanghai disneyland thread for what its worth while we are at it. wow. 2nd gate. they have the land designated for that anywho.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby rosscoe » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:40 am

Sorry having computer problems today, so can't put link up..
But yes they do have land for the second gate, going by the story no word yet on shanghai.
But they want the people from southern china and hong kong, so looking at making it a mutli day resort..

3000 years young and riding roller coasters

Postby Ghost » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:45 am

socalMAN123 wrote:I was a little bit shocked when I read this. I mean, the park opened to the public yesterday, and now they're already making plans for a second park? They should just put more E-ticket rides in HKDL than a whole new park.
---Brent 8)

The plans for a second gate where already there even before they opened the first gate. So this news is not realy new, but they just waited to go public.

The Magic - seen from different points of view…
http://blog.mousekingdom.com

Disneyland Resort Paris - The internet Guidebook

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby rosscoe » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:46 am

Sorry for the double post...Robb if this breaks a rule, since i took it from variety, please delete..

cheers

ross

HONG KONG -- Disney has barely finished its first day of celebrations for Hong Kong Disneyland, but there's already talk of another Disney theme park next door.
Disney chairman George Mitchell unveiled the plans Tuesday at a lunch hosted by the Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce to laud Monday's opening of the new Magic Kingdom.

Mitchell said reclamation work had already begun in an area near the park in Penny's Bay on Lantau Island. But, he added, the land would be earmarked for a new Disney resort, which would eventually include another theme park, rather than an expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland, as was widely expected.

"Eventually, the addition of an entire new theme park adjacent to the current park will transform the site into a true multi-day destination resort," Mitchell told the chamber.

He had no details on the cost of the project or when building might begin. Local media later reported the government expected construction on Phase II to start as early as 2010.

Mitchell was also unable to provide details on the much-mooted Shanghai Disneyland. "No agreement has been reached," he said. "No decision has been made."

Disney has a history of locating parks next to one another. Disneylands in California, Florida, Japan and France have multiple theme parks.

"This is a region of explosion," added Jay Rasulo, prexy of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, who also was at the lunch. "There's a huge potential in South China, Hong Kong" and the region, he added.

However, in an interview with Daily Variety last month, Rasulo said no new Disneylands would open in this part of Asia "before the end of this decade."

Ten million visitors a year at the first Hong Kong park is likely to be the trigger that will greenlight the second park. The government projects it will have 5.6 million visitors a year.

Mitchell reiterated that Hong Kong, rather than mainland China, was a natural choice for Asia's first Disneyland.

"I've been impressed with the cooperation and coordination" of the government, he said. The government owns a majority stake in the $3.5 billion park and hotel joint venture.

Mitchell expects the Hong Kong park will boost tourism growth locally.

"There is little question there will be other vendors smart enough to cash in on this trend," he said, adding that he expected the new enterprises to be enhancements for Disney.

In the meantime, Disney will continue promoting its cast of characters and brand in the region through various media and events. They include three new Disney shows on Chinese-language free-to-air broadcaster TVB Jade in Hong Kong; a 40-city tour in China with Disney on Ice; a mobile subscription service in China that has grown at a monthly rate of 35% since its launch last year; 23 Disney-branded blocks and programs that reach 380 million households throughout the region; and Mickey Mouse Magazine, which has a circulation of 75,000 and readership of 1.8 million in China.

(Patrick Frater in Hong Kong contributed to this report.)

Nobody Does It Better

Postby OzCatter » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:55 pm

So when will they uproot WDW from the ground and put it in China?

-Cal

Teh Rockness Monster

Postby BiCoastal Kid » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:18 pm

^They won't move Animal Kingdom, they'll need the extra staff to clean all the excriments. :P

My That's A Big Drink!

Postby rollermonkey » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:44 pm

I guess all the talk of "waiting to see how the park performs to avoid the DLParis experience" was all BS if they were planning park #2 already. I agree they should expand the existing park before opening a 2nd one. Could it be even smaller than WDSParis? That place is postage stamp sized!

Chris B

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!