TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's Wood & Steel Coaster Poll 2008

Hey everyone!

It's the time of year again. Mitch Hawker's Coaster Poll 2008 is UP!

http://www.ushsho.com/bestrollercoasterpoll.htm

This time around it's BOTH Steel and Wood! Mitch's poll is, IMO, the *ONLY* coaster poll that really takes everyone's opinions into consideration and gives fair and accurate results.

Even if you have ridden only 5 wooden coasters or 100, please be sure to vote in this poll!

Now, the poll is not that easy to fill out, and it will require a bit of effort, and to help you, ever year we offer the:

TPR's Idiot's Guide To Mitch Hawker's Wood Coaster Poll

There are several different methods to submit your ballot and TPR reccomends the 'old school' text and spreadsheet style of manually submitting the ballot, but if you don't have the patience or time, check out CoasterFanatic's Ballot Helper

If you need any help, please ask here.

I cannot encourage everyone enough to vote in this poll!

--Robb

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the most accurate polls out there. I've been doing the wood one for awhile, but have never tackled the steel one, just because it seems like it would take forever. But I rode some really good ones this year (including Kawasemi), so I think I'll take the plunge.

I can also say that horrible Chinese shuttle loop that almost collapsed on us will likely be at the bottom!

dt

I visited the site earlier today on a whim wondering if/when this was going on this year, it's really odd that the ballots were posted just a matter of hours later. I love filling out this ballot every year, and I have plenty of new additions to add to my list this time around!

I did my wood ballot (about 40 coasters) the old way in under 15 minutes, it really isn't as hard as it looks. The hardest part in my opinion is deciding rank....

I voted!

Iron Dragon at the bottom of my steel coaster list

Woodie of choice:

Kentucky Rumbler followed by Georgia Cyclone (Crazy, aren't I?)

Steel of Choice:

I have so many #1 quality coasters:

Space Mountain (DL); Goliath (SFOG); California Screamin' (DCA); Afterburn (Carowinds); Maverick (CP); Scooby Doo's Coaster (MWau)

But I think I gave my number one to Scooby Doo, followed by Space Mountain.

-JZ

My wood top 10 was Boulder Dash, Legend, Voyage/Favorite Steel, Rumbler, and J2 (I rode it in 2006 before the brakes), Cornball, Yankee Cannonball, Cyclops, Coney Cyclone, and Raven.

Haven't finished my steel ballot yet as that one is a little harder for me, I don't really care for that many that I have ridden. I'm doing the grouping thing on that which is making it a little bit easier, though. Top 5 steel are Favorite Wood/Superman SFNE, Apollo, Phantom's Revenge, Raptor, and Maverick and I know XLC (still on the ballot) and Beech Bend's Looping Star will round out the bottom.

Hopefully this year will have the same huge turnout as last years. If I remember correctly there were around 750 ballots for the wood poll.

Maverick is my #1 steel. I had a difficult time deciding if I liked Powder Keg or Mindbender better for the #4 spot...

But I chose Powder Keg. Worst steel coaster was Roller Soaker at Hershey; that thing was terrible.

Once again, Voyage is my number one wood. Hershey's woodies didn't make TOO big of an impact on my Top Wooden list (as much as I expected, anyway), but I did rank Comet pretty high. Worst wooden coaster was Wilde Beast at CW. It's the only coaster experience I've had where I was actually screaming in pain.

Can't wait to see the results!

My top group of wood:

1) El Toro

2) Boulder Dash

3) Ravine Flyer II

4) Thunderhead

5) Tonnerre de Zeus

6) Kentucky Rumbler

My worst wooden coaster is tied between Ghostrider and Cheetah

My top group of steel:

1) Phantom's Revenge

2) Storm Runner

3) Dueling Dragons- Fire

4) Fahrenheit

5) SROS- SFNE

6) Montu

My worst steel is Goudurix

I already sent in my wooden ballot, but it will take a pretty long time to get the steel one together...

The coaster fanatic ballot helper is awesome. I had read a tutorial one time before on how to fill out my own ballot, but it seemed like a lot of trouble and I didn't feel like putting the required energy into it at the time. Thanks for the link to the ballot helper Robb. It made it easy enough that I had no excuse not to do it.

Since I have not been on too many roller coasters(97, but all in California except for Cedar Point), I was able to do both ballots in about a half hour.

Top Wood: Ghostrider

Bottom Wood: Giant Dipper

Top Steels (in no particular order):

California Screamin'

Silver Bullet

Xcelerator

Deja Vu

Goliath

Scream

Tatsu

X2

Medusa

Maverick

Millennium Force

Top Thrill Dragster

Bottom Steels (in no particular order):

Big Thunder Mountain

Matterhorn Bobsleds

Gold Rusher

Cedar Creek Mine Ride

Boulder Dash 08! Seriously, that ride kicked major butt this year. Thanks LC + GCI!

And don't forget CCI who....um.....built the damn thing 8 years ago! (lol)

I don't think I'll do this poll this time around. After I get more credits from the Texas trip than I'll fill it out.

There is absolutely no reason to not vote due to low credits. Every vote counts in this poll! In fact, if you have less coasters it is MORE easier to decide, and more easier to fill out.

Seriously though I love this poll, and can't wait to vote. And I can't wait for the results. I'm not sure why TPR prefers the old-school way, as I have found Coasterfanatics to be 100% reliable and easy.

Here's mine for the steel coasters.

--Ballot created with CoasterFanatics.Com Helper--

--IP Address: 24.5.36.250--

--thrillgeek@yahoo.com------

~"California"

~"Adam Miller"

RANK THE FOLLOWING RIDING SENSATIONS

Sensation of Speed_________________________,y,y,1

Floating Airtime___________________________,y,y,2

Abrupt Airtime_____________________________,y,y,3

Out of Control Feeling/Directional Changes_,y,y,4

Lateral Forces_____________________________,y,y,5

Positive G's/Loops_________________________,y,y,6

COASTER NAME PARK LOC <-LEAVE

Goliath Six Flags Magic Mo CA,y,n,1

Incredible Hulk Islands of Adventu FL,y,n,2

California Screamin' Disney CA Adventur CA,y,n,3

Dueling Dragons-Ice Islands of Adventu FL,y,n,4

Dueling Dragons-Fire Islands of Adventu FL,y,n,5

Space Mountain Disneyland CA,y,n,6

Medusa SF Discovery Kingd CA,y,y,7

Revenge of the Mummy Universal Studios FL,y,n,8

Flight Deck California's Great CA,y,y,9

Riddler's Revenge Six Flags Magic Mo CA,y,n,10

V2: Vertical Velocity SF Discovery Kingd CA,y,y,11

Scream! Six Flags Magic Mo CA,y,n,12

Big Thunder Mountain Disneyland CA,y,n,13

Gold Rusher Six Flags Magic Mo CA,y,n,14

Revolution Six Flags Magic Mo CA,y,n,15

Matterhorn Bobsleds Disneyland CA,y,n,16

Demon California's Great CA,y,y,17

Ninja Six Flags Magic Mo CA,y,n,18

Vortex California's Great CA,y,y,19

------------------------------------------------0 <-LEAVE THIS LINE

Boulder Dash & Phoenix were major surprises for me this year, it's a shame Dash won't be the same next year when they put that trim in. I also hear Ravine Flyer II is tearing itself apart, so who knows what they will do to that.

Another big question is will the GCI work on Mean Streak make a big difference?

I've heard they're holding off on the Dash trim again so it should be good for atleast one more year. I did think it was running a little bit rougher towards the end of the season (didn't hurt or anything, just tracking a little sloppy in places) than earlier in the year, but hopefully they'll just keep putting small amounts of work into it to keep it going the way it is rather than going to the trim/waiting and having to rebuild the whole thing again. Either way though, it gave the best rides I've ever had on it this year.

I also hear Ravine Flyer II is tearing itself apart, so who knows what they will do to that.

Where'd you hear this? I didn't find the ride all that much rougher on the last day of the season then it was on opening day. Just curious.

Thanks for the link to the CoasterFanatics helper. Just did my wood coaster ballot and will do my steel ballot soon.