Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

P. 300: Proposal rezones some land for distribution district
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Randomness

Postby coasterdude5 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:06 pm

^ I don't think the economy was that big of a factor in the failure of the park. I think location and advertising played a more vital role.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby DRACHEN_FIRE_FAN-BOY » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:07 pm

holyblakbelt wrote:Another victim of the economy. The park never really hit the ground running. They tried to make it into a decent park, but in the end, another one hit the dust.

Yeah it's sad, but then again they should have known to NOT open the park due to the shape of the economy. and it's not like the park was in the best location of South Carolina

I wonder where the coasters are gonna go.....

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:08 pm

holyblakbelt wrote:Another victim of the economy. The park never really hit the ground running. They tried to make it into a decent park, but in the end, another one hit the dust.

I kinda disagree. If the economy was good, I still think it would have failed. Looks to me that from all the negative comments, trip reports, pictures, etc... about the park, it just didn't have what it took to stay open. The concept was good, they just didn't do it very well. Which just goes to prove that a B&M is not a gauranteed success. :)
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:11 pm

That is a shame that a brand new theme park did not even last two seasons. I actually had a fun time there. Here are the two trips I had at Hard Rock.

2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:12 pm

Airtime&Gravity wrote:I'm also curious to see who buys Maximum RPM since it had so many mechanical problems.

I wonder if it would be possible to replace the ferris wheel lift with a traditional lift hill.

holyblakbelt wrote:Another victim of the economy.

As much as some people may want to blame the economy, I do not feel that is what killed Hard Rock Park. If you end up making some very poor business decisions which costs you and others hundreds of millions, now is a good time to do it! You've got a great excuse that everyone seems to be buying into.

--Robb

Randomness

Postby coasterdude5 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:13 pm

^ Maybe they could use an elevator-style lift, if that would help at all with space issues. (but I'm not sure how different that would be from the ferris wheel style)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:13 pm

Speeddeamon128 wrote:That is a shame that a brand new theme park did not even last two seasons.

Heck, it didn't even make it through ONE season.

Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:18 pm

I don't think the economy killed Hard Rock. I think it was the fact that they barely advertised. When I was in Myrtle Beach this summer I only saw one advertisement for the place. Not to mention it was built far from the beach. It took me a good 20 minutes to get there from my hotel where as Family Kingdom took 5 minutes.
2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:28 pm

All the economy/high gas prices did was take away that last 1% chance of success they had.

The poor management has been discussed to death already. I still believe that with proper management, the place could have at least remained open (opening later, pay-per-ride model, more marketing), but now the place is damaged goods that no one wants a part of.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:29 pm

ginzo wrote:
Speeddeamon128 wrote:That is a shame that a brand new theme park did not even last two seasons.

Heck, it didn't even make it through ONE season.

And it's not even the only new park from the last two years to not make it through one season. After WWW failed I thought the industry at least had HRP to look forward to, but then it failed, and pretty much all the other new park concepts have been shut down. Hell, even CC more or less died. Tough times...

The economy may not be the largest factor contributing to HRP's demise, but it's hard to ignore it when you look at how badly the rest of the industry is doing right now. Luckily it looks like the nation's bounce back is beginning... maybe.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!