Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

P. 300: Former park land sold for $3.5 million
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:26 pm

The park always looks dead. Every picture I see the park looks lifeless. Also there looks to be no shade in the entire place.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby pacoasterrider » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:51 pm

I dont know if im alone here, and I know it's early but they should of atleast built another big coaster. One big coaster isn't enough to make the enthusiast or the GP coaster riders come back. The park is theemed to be "edgey, rock and roll, and for teens and thrill seekers" And they have one noteable coaster. 100 years ago that would work, but not anymore.

People won't come back after only riding Zep. That's the other downfall of the park I think.

Cedar Point, SFMM, SFGADV, Kings Island, Hershey Park, SFOG, Kings Dominiton, BGA are all within reasonable driving distances of huge cities. This park isn't.

South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia are no where near the top of the list of most populated areas, and with the state the park is in now then no one will be repeating a visit or visiting at all (cite http://www.prb.org/Datafinder/Topic/Bar ... riable=395)

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby tnguy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:51 pm

The park isn't even in a very good location in Myrtle Beach. Its a fairly good drive from the real center of the area. Families don't want to waste more gas to get out there, and then have to pay $50.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby MattyD » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:25 am

If they are going to succeed then what they need is a resort!

A hotel or two, a 'Downtown Disney' or 'City Walk' type area, a few restaurants, a water park etc. From what I have gathered there is very little else to attract people to that area so if they are going to succeed they need to make sure they have plenty of stuff to attract the masses!

I haven't seen any advertising at any of the Hard Rock Cafe's either, let alone at Travel Agents or anything like that, but that's the problem, until it's a proper destination then they can't justify advertising it around the world because the tourists just won't come! However if I was to look in a Virgin brochure and see holidays advertised (like they are for Disney and Universal Resorts in Florida) for the Hard Rock Resort then I would fly there just for that.

It comes down to, Marketing and Location as everyone is saying, good marketing will help but you also need to be in a location people will want to travel too, and people won't travel long distances just for one park!

Matt

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby carolinacaniac » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:32 am

pacoasterrider wrote:South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia are no where near the top of the list of most populated areas, and with the state the park is in now then no one will be repeating a visit or visiting at all (cite http://www.prb.org/Datafinder/Topic/Bar ... riable=395)

The only problem with that is the fact that all three of those states are in the top half for the nation, and those numbers are based on a per square mile basis. That just tells you how dense of a population there is in that area. The District of Columbia is hardly the most populated state/district in the nation, it just has a lot of people in a small area.

I will agree though that Myrtle Beach wasn't the best choice of location. There really isn't a major city within a short distance of it where as the other major parks usually have an hour or less driving distance to the nearest major city.
"Imagine the Crystal Beach Cyclone with a Gerstlauer train!"

I Love Donkeys!

Postby YJG(Ride On) » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:39 am

I think they should have built HRP in the mid-west. There really isn't a whole lot of amusement parks in states like Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, etc. I know it probably wouldn't fit there, but a central location and a lot of marketing could make this a nice park.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:49 am

The park is struggling because the local population can't support it and there are not enough tourists to compensate this. Do you really think that putting the park in area with less locals and NO tourists would have really helped it?

I Love Donkeys!

Postby YJG(Ride On) » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:56 am

moose wrote:The park is struggling because the local population can't support it and there are not enough tourists to compensate this. Do you really think that putting the park in area with less locals and NO tourists would have really helped it?

There is people in the mid-west. If you put it near a big city don't you think the attendance would be decent. You would also get tourists at most big cities.

The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Postby Hercules » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:58 am

YJG(Ride On) wrote:I think they should have built HRP in the mid-west. There really isn't a whole lot of amusement parks in states like Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, etc. I know it probably wouldn't fit there, but a central location and a lot of marketing could make this a nice park.

There is a reason why there aren't that many parks out there. There are lower populations, and nobody going out there to visit. It is the same reason why there aren't a lot of larger corporations, like Wal-Mart, setting up shop in low populated areas. There is no business out there.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby YJG(Ride On) » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:04 am

^There are plenty of large corporations out there. It is like standard that there is a Wal-mart in every single city in America now. I think that a park built near Oklahoma City, or even Omaha would do well.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!