Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

P. 300: Former park land sold for $3.5 million
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Postby fallen xxi » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:32 pm

Saying that it's sub-par is absolutely not true. They're a very small step below a Universal park (minus Knights in White Satin). It's just that the prices are rediculous, as said before. It just dosen't even out. I think you shouldn't make inferences about parks you've never been to.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:58 pm

Location, location, location.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Randomness

Postby coasterdude5 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:00 pm

I think the park needs to "fill in" and mature a bit. With a new advertising strategy, I'm sure this park will suceed in the long-run.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby crazydaveh » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:25 pm

If it's this dead during the summer, I'd hate to see it in the off season. I have not been, but would like to try it out.

Living in Florida, we have not seen anything for the HRP. This is understandable, as I'm in Orlando, and advertising here is stupid for them. HRP should advertise all over the Carolina's, Atlanta, Virginia, and possibly Maryland and WV.

I hope the park survives, they have a good idea that they can build on. I'd like to try it out soon.
Beer... It helps coasters go higher and faster!

Dave

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/78611756e2677af30ecbe7f169e00926.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/32a684dcd0f18289ee3e5a31292b8f5a.jpg[/img][/url]

Born when stamps were 2 cents

Postby OldJJman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:26 pm

BeemerBoy wrote:Location, location, location.

That's quite true.

I said it from day 1 (I'm not going to bother looking up where I said it though.), this park will fail.

Reason - That area of the country CAN NOT support a quality amusement park.

They could barely support MBP. MBP was losing money. plain and simple. The locals couldn't support it enough to keep it alive. The owners saw an opportunity to sell, and did. It is now my understanding that the condo towers that were supposed to go up there, have stalled due to lack of sales. (i.e. NO MONEY coming in.)

The property that HRP was built on, (IIRC) or near, an ABANDONED shopping mall. It take quite a lot to kill an indoor shopping mall!

If the local economy can kill a shopping mall, what chance does an amusement park have?

Look at the demographics: it's damn close to being a retirement community. No other real points of interest (unless you LOVE playing golf!) that could bring in the tourist dollars needed to make it survive, because the locals can't support it. It just won't happen.

Myrtle Beach IS NOT a major tourist destination anymore!! It will never be that way again.

Scott is right. It all boils down to location. The Hard Rock people made a POOR decision by building the park in Myrtle Beach. Especially, considering the initial investment made by the Hard Rock company. It would be interesting

You can argue that "Where else would they go?"

There's plenty of available land in SoCal or Orlando that could have been looked at. That way they could have been a year 'round operation. Even with the stiff competition, they could've had a fighting chance. Especially with so many more attractions to draw people in, and (very important I might add) better, larger airport accessibility.

The first year, IOA didn't do all that great. I believe that USF still outdraws IOA in sheer numbers. But IOA is gaining ground. Plus, it's open all year to keep up with the Disneys, and other attractions down I-4.

Think about it, with no real competition, HRP is falling way below expectations. They have nothing else to offer.

I see the park opening next year, and the same thing happening. By then the locals will have already have that "been there, done that" syndrome.

After that, I seriously doubt that they will be open for a 3rd season.

JJ

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:34 pm

I just think they are unaware of what a theme park should be. Yeah the dude work for universal or what not but its not like he working in the creative department. It goes to show just cause you worked at a theme park doesn't mean you know how to run a theme park...
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby pacoasterrider » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:50 pm

i agree with the location.

No one in the Mid Atlantic (New York, Phily, Baltimore, DC) wants to pay all the money to travel to South Carolina. It costs to much flying and gas is way to much. Our family for example used to go to Myrtle Beach, but now with how much that would cost to drive, we just go to Ocean City or a more local beach. Local beaches are striving. You can't tell there's any dip in tourism in places like Ocean City NJ or MD, Atlantic City, or Rehobeth.

Im sure people in Florida don't want to waste the money to drive up to SC to go to Myrtle Beach, when they have their own beaches there.

It would be the perfect park in the Mid-Atlantic. Every park with the exception of SFA strives around here. Hardly any competition if they place it in a location like Ocean City Md. or even Rehobeth or Atlantic City. Philly, Baltimore, NYC, and Washington DC are all within reasonable drives of those areas

And heck, im not paying 50 bucks to only ride one quality coaster and a few flats. Rip-Off.

I would second guess paying $30 for a visit there.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby SFAfan#1 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:54 pm

^SFA might not be up there with KD, BGE, HP, etc. but we were getting there back in 2001 lol (right after Batwing, Superman, Jokers Jinx, and Two Face opened. 1999-2001)

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby cathyJ » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:02 pm

pacoasterrider wrote:i agree with the location.

No one in the Mid Atlantic (New York, Phily, Baltimore, DC) wants to pay all the money to travel to South Carolina. It costs to much flying and gas is way to much. Our family for example used to go to Myrtle Beach, but now with how much that would cost to drive, we just go to Ocean City or a more local beach. Local beaches are striving. You can't tell there's any dip in tourism in places like Ocean City NJ or MD, Atlantic City, or Rehobeth.

Im sure people in Florida don't want to waste the money to drive up to SC to go to Myrtle Beach, when they have their own beaches there.

It would be the perfect park in the Mid-Atlantic. Every park with the exception of SFA strives around here. Hardly any competition if they place it in a location like Ocean City Md. or even Rehobeth or Atlantic City. Philly, Baltimore, NYC, and Washington DC are all within reasonable drives of those areas

And heck, im not paying 50 bucks to only ride one quality coaster and a few flats. Rip-Off.

I would second guess paying $30 for a visit there.

Forgot one...Kings Dominon !!!

Fredericksburg, VA is considered a suberb of DC and that city is only one hour away from Kings Dominion.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:14 pm

pacoasterrider wrote:i agree with the location.

Yeah, people aren't going to drive all the way down to Myrtle when they can just go to VA Beach, or a similar place farther north, closer to home, and, as you said, mostly everyone south of Myrtle has their own beach locally.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!