Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

P. 300: Former park land sold for $3.5 million
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

Postby Hockeydad » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:21 pm

If I remember right, one of it's many problems was that it was more like 3-4 miles out from the strand. Plus, there was nothing out there to really draw people other than Medieval Times, (which was really good). Other than MT all I can remember is a couple churches, a hotel and a vandalized, graffiti-covered former outlet mall.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby RaceBoarder » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:23 pm

Hockeydad wrote:If I remember right, one of it's many problems was that it was more like 3-4 miles out from the strand. Plus, there was nothing out there to really draw people other than Medieval Times, (which was really good). Other than MT all I can remember is a couple churches, a hotel and a vandalized, graffiti-covered former outlet mall.

Yea.... It was basically the last thing you passed on your way out of town towards Conway, SC... Nowhere near where everyone was staying and planning all their activities...

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby SigilX » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:40 pm

It was a pretty big wasteland when I went, before Hard Rock came in. I was surprised Medieval Times chose a place so far away from the beach area, although I heard that the shopping area once was a nice place to visit before it closed.
Parks I've been to: Knoebels, Dorney Park, King's Dominion, Hersheypark, Darien Lake, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Walt Disney World, Universal Studios Orlando, Dutch Wonderland, Six Flags Great Adventure
Coasters I've ridden Big Thunder Mountain (Disney World), Phoenix, Black Diamond

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Hockeydad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:36 pm

We had drove by it years ago and it was a nice outlet mall-type place. I want to say it was called Wacamaw, but I may be thinking of the Virginia Beach area. When we were there last Medieval Times was packed, and that was even around the opening weekend for Dolly Parton's "Pirates Voyage dinner show.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:36 pm

I'd be curious to know the occupancy rate of the hotel in the parking lot.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:41 am

robbalvey wrote:Now let's just hope this park (parks?) have better luck than Hard Rock Park did. How ironic would it be if these rides ended up in another park that only lasted a few years? ;)

Perhaps they have been cursed by . . .

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:49 pm

^Nights in White Satin was gutted when Monstars of Rock moved in. A few items from the inside of the ride were scattered as theming throughout the rebranded park and a few items from the rock garden were moved inside as well. I'm not surprised that the ride system was moved out if the park as well. It was a lightly used ride system likely bought for cheap, so it is nice to see at least that part of one of the most unique dark rides ever, to be saved.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:31 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:^Nights in White Satin was gutted when Monstars of Rock moved in. A few items from the inside of the ride were scattered as theming throughout the rebranded park and a few items from the rock garden were moved inside as well. I'm not surprised that the ride system was moved out if the park as well. It was a lightly used ride system likely bought for cheap, so it is nice to see at least that part of one of the most unique dark rides ever, to be saved.

How different was Monstars from NIWS?
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:35 pm

^Superstar Limo is to Haunted Mansion as Monstars of Rock is to Nights in White Satin. (This is not to say that NIWS is as good as Mansion.) Essentially, the trippy effects of the old Moody Blues-themed ride were replaced with plywood cutouts of cartoony versions of Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, etc. It really looked like a "walk-through" model of a proposed dark ride.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:37 pm.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:53 pm

It is nice to know that the rides are going to live on... It is just a shame that they couldn't be retained for some U.S.-based parks to relocate and reopen.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!