Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

P. 300: Former park land sold for $3.5 million
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:48 pm

^You didn't miss much.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:59 pm

I think it had potential...it wasn't bad, it's just that the themeing was only on the surface and they didn't do anything to overcome the terrible location.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby willh51 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:31 pm

Having to watch that pre-show a dozen times was crazy annoying, as was seeing the empty trains rolling by. On my second visit they actually let people walk straight through the room if they chose, which was much better. The drop on Zeppelin is great, but after the cobra roll it was forgettable. And there was DEFINITELY some misalignment of the piece of track after the midcourse, the whole train shuffled diving into that helix.
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Bizarro at SFNE 4. Millennium Force 5. Raptor
6. Batman & Robin: The Chiller (defunct) 7. Nitro 8. Apollo's Chariot 9. Afterburn (Carowinds) 10. Lightning Racer

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:53 pm

Jew wrote:I think it had potential...it wasn't bad, it's just that the themeing was only on the surface and they didn't do anything to overcome the terrible location.

I recall that the park had pretty good food, too, but really slow service.
Last edited by cfc on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:54 pm.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:33 pm

Jew wrote:I think it had potential...it wasn't bad, it's just that the themeing was only on the surface and they didn't do anything to overcome the terrible location.

THIS! Had the park been located in Las Vegas, or hell, even in Orlando with as crowded of a theme park market it is here, it would have had a much better chance of survival. It also didn't help that all of the coasters were not memorable. Really, the only really stand-out ride in the park was Nights in White Satin.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 pm

^Agreed. I think even if they had made an effort to run shuttles from the beach, hotels, resorts and had more reasonable ticket prices, it still could have survived.

But lets be honest...basically after all the sketchy changes of ownership, it's pretty obvious it was all just a giant scam from the former owners of the individual attractions that were failing.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:54 am

I agree with Robb and Joey. It was also crazy to charge $50 (as I recall) for admission--definitely too much for the market in Myrtle Beach. They really had to start running "special deals" early on just to get people to visit the park.

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:18 am

Wish I had seen Knights in White Satin. I heard it was pretty trippy. However, I must say, Monsters of Rock wasn't that bad. It was funny and campy in all it's florescent glory. Considering I only paid $5 bucks per person to get in to the park. It was a great day for me n' tha family unit. And as I recall, we had some pretty good BBQ in the country area.

Postby Wes » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:46 pm

It's still astounding this park even made it off the ground.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby SigilX » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:38 pm

Yeah, considering that Myrtle Beach is a good golf and beach place but definitely not a place to have theme parks and consider that where Hard Rock was located was about a mile away from the beach it's no wonder why it closed. Myrtle beach is definitely not the place to create a big amusement park of attraction let alone a theme park.
Parks I've been to: Knoebels, Dorney Park, King's Dominion, Hersheypark, Darien Lake, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Walt Disney World, Universal Studios Orlando, Dutch Wonderland, Six Flags Great Adventure
Coasters I've ridden Big Thunder Mountain (Disney World), Phoenix, Black Diamond

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!