Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

P. 300: Former park land sold for $3.5 million
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Re: Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

Postby DarienLaker » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:42 am

^The rides from Hard Rock/Freestyle Park deserve a better home that the scrapyards!
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:04 am

^I'm reasonably sure that scrap won't be their fate, but let's not kid ourselves--these were hardly "great" coasters. Led Zep/Time Machine was the best of the bunch, and it was mediocre. The best attraction at Hard Rock was Nights in White Satin: The Trip (and it's long gone).

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby SigilX » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:59 am

Thus brings the end of yet another Myrtle Beach amusement park (Pavilion being the first and also Nascar Speed Park)

I have to say part of the problem of Hard Rock/ Freestyle for me was that looking at Myrtle Beach I don't know what the city is trying to be. First it claims to be a summer destination then it claims to be year round. Meanwhile there are closed malls and places where amusement parks once were now vacant lots. Not a big fan either of hos Borroughs and Chapman who operated parks like Pavilion handled things. I really think the Myrtle Beach council needs to reconsider their plan for the city and what they want.

Having said this, I doubt these rides will hit the scrapyard, Iron Horse will make a good family coaster, Maximum RPM will be a novel coaster for a park(perhaps expanding it would make it better), and Time Machine would be a nice coaster for a park.

As for Soak'd, I never understood the idea of a water coaster and I don't really see the draw. Hershey Park had one but compared to the other coasters there it was meh.
Parks I've been to: Knoebels, Dorney Park, King's Dominion, Hersheypark, Darien Lake, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Walt Disney World, Universal Studios Orlando, Dutch Wonderland, Six Flags Great Adventure
Coasters I've ridden Big Thunder Mountain (Disney World), Phoenix, Black Diamond

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:00 am

In the case of Myrtle Beach, I think it's about two things: the beach and golf (including mini-golf).

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Cmbgo12 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:03 pm

^Ahem... When did Family Kingdom fall into the ocean? I think that everyone in this thread has completely forgotten that Myrtle still has a kicka$$ (And financially stable) park. Which is more than many cities in the US...
Coaster Count- 113 Wood- 23 Steel- 90
Top 5 Steel- Diamondback, Bizarro, I305, Montu, Apollo's Chariot
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Racer, Beast, Grizzly (KD), Swamp Fox (FK), Wildcat (HP)

If Fury 325 ends up being on the same level as Diamondback it may just kill me...

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:17 pm

^Family Kingdom's proximity to the beach gives it an advantage. It's an OK little park (their dark ride is a guilty pleasure of mine). But would people go to Myrtle Beach simply because Family Kingdom is there?
Last edited by cfc on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:17 pm.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Location: Freezing for the last time in the SoakZone at SeaWorld

Postby StuckInSD » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Cmbgo12 wrote:^Ahem... When did Family Kingdom fall into the ocean? I think that everyone in this thread has completely forgotten that Myrtle still has a kicka$$ (And financially stable) park. Which is more than many cities in the US...

Well, you're not wrong. I didn't even realize there was one amusement park left in Myrtle Beach. But you don't see Family Kingdom pushing itself as a go-to destination outside of the surrounding area, something that Hard Rock/Freestyle tried to be, but didn't really do. Also, bad news makes better headlines, so it doesn't surprise me a good little park goes unnoticed. Not that its a bad thing, because at least Family Kingdom is good!

cfc wrote:In the case of Myrtle Beach, I think it's about two things: the beach and golf (including mini-golf).

Exactly. If I really wanted to spend my time in theme parks on my vacation, I'd head to SoCal or Orlando where there's a ton of parks centered in one area. Myrtle Beach has astounding mini golf and your typical tourist-y beaches, but that's about it. This reminds me of San Diego's city council, but at least they can keep one park above water (i.e. not Belmont).

Quite honestly, if Hard Rock/Freestyle Music Park was built around a city with a bigger rock following (or just a bigger city in general), like Cleveland or L.A., it would probably be doing better off. Even then, the way they advertised and projected themselves would have still caused them to lag behind. Trying to establish a new theme park during a financial crisis did help bring it down, but there's so much they could have done to turn the park around. It's sad to see it go, but this just proves the importance of timing and reassuring your product. It was an awesome idea, but the execution, while at first was great, was overall bad.

Eh, I guess for now, we can rely on Dollywood as our go-to destination for musician-inspired parks.
"I-Did-A-Dumb" Counter: 25

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:03 pm

I will always believe that this park was set up as a giant tax write off/money laundering project from the beginning. Way too much nonsense and seemingly dumb business moves throughout the whole process.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Thunder_Run » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:11 pm

I'm honestly completely surprised that Soak'd and Maximum RPM have been bought by someone. Both pretty much are capacity nightmares given their design (all mini-suspended coasters like Soak'd have been, and the ferris wheel lift hill for RPM... no thanks) and both are equally not that enjoyable in layout. I was seriously expecting them to bite the dust and be cut up.

Then again, this may give credibility to the whole Vietnam park rumor if they bought these for usage other than scrap metal. :p

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:40 pm

Associating Myrtle Beach with being "only a beach" is more or less a recent construct as a result of the changes seen there. HRP failed because it had a bad business plan, but let's not lump in Pavilion with that. That place ran strongly for years and was only closed down because it was perceived in those halcyon days of exponential real estate value growth that the land it sat on was worth more as condos. It was killed stupidly in much the same way Palisades, Astroworld, or Opryland were, not because of being a soft or oversaturated market.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!