Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

P. 300: Proposal rezones some land for distribution district
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby CHILLERLC1 » Sun May 24, 2009 4:57 am

Someone on the blog said Roundabout was open. That's great news.

Randomness

Postby coasterdude5 » Sun May 24, 2009 8:29 am

Here are some pictures from The Sun News: http://www.thesunnews.com/724/gallery/9 ... ate.78.JPG

It doesn't look crowded, hopefully it will pick up as the weekend progresses.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Tue May 26, 2009 8:55 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS0mYoQwzpc&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Video of the Time Machine Coaster.

I couldn't pick up on all the songs on the soundtrack but I heard some kind of country thing up the lift, Dick Dale (good) and Pink (not so good).

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Tue May 26, 2009 9:05 am

Also the new fireworks show featuring music from Motley Crue, Van Halen, John Lennon, Aerosmith, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, a cheap sounding re-make of Van Halen's Panama, Guns N' Roses (the real one, not the new crappy fake one).

I couldn't hear some of the songs because the video camera they were using can only pick up one sound at a time, so it's mostly the fireworks. Welcome to the Jungle didn't sound right, so it's totally possible that more if not all of the songs are re-makes, but can't be sure on that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdQektAO36Q&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Papas

Postby Papas » Tue May 26, 2009 9:46 am

It looked pretty dead, but apparently lots of people there bought season passes.
People lineup to buy season passes to Freestyle Music Park late Saturday afternoon. "We are buying a season pass this year because there is a big difference in the cost from Hard Rock Park season passes, " said Tammy Ryan. Ryan waited in line around 45 minutes to purchase a season pass.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:06 pm

Some new videos have sprung up on youtube following this weekend's opening including a better resolution recording of the park's new fireworks show, Kiss the Sky.

From what I have seen in video, this fireworks show is similar in concept to one of the July 4th shows that Disney puts together at Hollywood Studios (at least from what I can tell) with a large compilation of relevant (and some not-so-relevant) songs to time to lights, pyrotechnics and water effects. After watching videos both for the previous Bohemian Rhapsody show and for Kiss the Sky, I do have to say that I am somewhat partial to the new show because of the larger span of songs selected as well as an impressive arsenal of pyro launched throughout the 8 minute show. My only hitch with the show that I could find when watching the video is that unlike its predecessor, this show's use of the Gibson guitar is limited to the lasers, the outline lighting and some guitar-stroke sequencing; the show is lacking that distinct piece of detail in which each note played corresponds to the lighting of a different string on the guitar in time. Other than that, I didn't really have anything to slam based on the video alone--once I visit the park myself, I'm sure it will be far easier to review.

A video (albeit dark) of the Nights in White Satin replacement, Monstars of Rock has also gone online...

It looks much like Ghostblasters, but lacks most of those details that make the above mentioned attraction worthwhile. From what little I can tell from the video, the amount of detail in the attraction is not nearly as present as it was in the previous iteration. While I'll withhold judgement until I see it with my own two eyes, I was definitely surprised (or at least a caught a little off guard) by the negative response to the attraction that I've read online so far...

For Freestyle Music Park as a whole, I'm still on the fence about the whole thing. I think I'm pulling for this place to succeed, but I just don't know that I'll really believe it can last. Its weird that I feel so fascinated by the park and its history (mainly the Hard Rock Park stuff), but overall I am drawn to the park because of the history that it seems to be making (for better or for worse). At this point, I'm just hoping it stays open long enough for me to make a trip up to Myrtle Beach to visit it and take enough photos and video for posterity while I can.

The one thing that is truly biting me (and worries me) the most is the shocking lack of trip reports anywhere on the net; the amount of reviews and responses to the park itself seem to be reserved currently for media and a few small blogs. Is this a reflection of the park and its audience or does it mean something else? I just can't get over the fact that so little has been said about this place after what was supposed to be a grand re-opening. I find the silence truly uncomfortable, especially with my hopes for the park on such thin wire...
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Randomness

Postby coasterdude5 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:33 pm

^ It's only been open for a few days now. In time, we should be seeing more trip reports, especially as vacation season kicks into gear.

I'm really pulling for this place, too. But I think they're gonna really have to amp it up for them to survive.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby ArizonaGuy » Tue May 26, 2009 9:49 pm

I hope the park lasts......well at least until I visit. :-)

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby monsterfan99 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:51 pm

^^ One other thing to remember about trip reports is Thrills in the Hills was this last weekend at Dollywood. That had to have taken a good number of people away from Freestyle Music Park that have sites with reviews and this site as well.

I play Metroid every day!

Postby Kennyweird » Thu May 28, 2009 1:07 pm

Monstars of Rock looks absolutely abysmal. I had to stop the video half-way through, it was so awful.
This is my signature. Deal with it.
Kennywood Rides Team Member- Racer/Skycoaster
Coaster count: 67

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!