Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

P. 300: Proposal rezones some land for distribution district
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counselor Neil

Postby televisedconfession » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:09 am

^^ I was talking about the deal in more of a legal sense.
What I was trying to get at was what they were buying. The property and the assets (or fixtures) are two separate things. Because it seems that they're buying off the "real property" including the fixtures. They're purchasing everything that makes the Hard Rock Park unique, aka the park. They're buying the property as it is. I'm assuming then, what the HRP actually owned were those fixtures, like Led Zeppelin: The Ride, Eagles: Life in the Fast Lane, Moody Blues the Trip, ect.
Sorry if I was unclear in my explanation, and again, I'm no expert in this field. This is just my understanding from the article.

Neil "Still just a student" Curiel
-Neil or no Deal

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/8edb82c78b6d77e5bd773746c455c1ca.jpg[/img][/url]

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:01 am

Speeddeamon128 wrote:I'm assuming the name & theme of Hard Rock would change as will the ride names.

That seems like a safe assumption, since Hard Rock itself now regards the park as a black eye on its reputation (to badly mix metaphors).

Still, there's no reason new owners couldn't keep a generic musical theme. Hard Rock certainly doesn't hold a copyright on "the 60's" or "Country Music." They'd just have to rename the coasters (assuming they couldn't get permission from the individual artists).

/Musicland? Music World? Er...Musicwood? :P

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:06 am

^Maybe they should take a tip from from This Is Spinal Tap and call it "Themeland."

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:21 am

^^ I like the idea of keeping the music theme and broadening it to be more appealing to all family members ala Opryland. I think to give it some local ties, the name should include Myrtle Beach. I am going to go ahead and call it now...Myrtle Beach Music World.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:40 am

I'm not predicting anything until the identity of the possible new owners is revealed. Until then, I'll consider it Countdown to Failure 2.0. And we all know what the theme song should be. :wink:
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby SupremeClientele » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:42 am

gisco wrote:Interesting, the article says it's an Asset Purchase Agreement. That usually means that they are purchasing assets only and not the debt. The question now becomes, What did HRP actually own?

The park, the offices, probably a couple intellectual properties, etc. That the assets went for far less than $400 million is meaningless. That's merely what the market value is now for the assets based on economic conditions. A coaster that costs $10 million dollars to build is by no means worth $10 million dollars on the used rides market. Same goes for everything else. That's why I said earlier that it being doled out piecemeal was hardly a given; There's tons of used coasters and flats on the market right now to choose from in all sizes and shapes due to all the other park failures of the last 24 months.

As for them buying up the debt, no one buys up debt in Chapter 7 bankruptcies. That's the whole point of a Chapter 7: Total Liquidation of assets.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby Capitalize » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:11 pm

Glad to hear it may live to see another season. Hopefully they can fix all the broken aspects and be successful.

Hopefully this means that Led Zep gets a new theme and no longer has that pre-show. After 2 rides I was thoroughly annoyed at having to wait through that, I like led zeppelin as much as the next guy, but that was a bit much. :lolr:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:20 pm

If the buyer is Russian like rumored, then I'm guessing it is Roman Abramovich as well, it just seems like something he would do.

This is great news for the park, and hopefully the new owners will run it properly. Even without the Hard Rock name, the park can be a success if properly run. If ticket prices are lowered and the park advertises/ does promotion deals, then it might last. A few new rides might also be needed, but those will have to wait until 2010 at the earliest, but the park can probably add some new shows and festivals for 2009.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:22 pm

Does anyone else see this as the next Southern Star Amusement Group-style attempt to revive a dead park?

I really am hopeful that the park gets a second chance so I can at least visit once, but I seriously doubt that these investors know what exactly they're getting themselves into. I can't imagine the park ever holding a successful footing in Myrtle Beach... Now if these investors were to announce that the park would be relocated to Orlando, I could see the place having a chance, but not in Myrtle Beach.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:17 pm

Electerik wrote:
Speeddeamon128 wrote:I'm assuming the name & theme of Hard Rock would change as will the ride names.

That seems like a safe assumption, since Hard Rock itself now regards the park as a black eye on its reputation (to badly mix metaphors).

Still, there's no reason new owners couldn't keep a generic musical theme. Hard Rock certainly doesn't hold a copyright on "the 60's" or "Country Music." They'd just have to rename the coasters (assuming they couldn't get permission from the individual artists).

/Musicland? Music World? Er...Musicwood? :P

I think they should keep it a music theme. Why not Guitarland since they have the giant Hard Rock Guitar & just get rid of the Hard Rock sign on it? Lets just hope they don't team up with the CF marketing to help them come up with names like Flight Deck for Led Zeppelin :lolr:
2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!