TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Hard Rock/Freestyle Music Park , this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Freestyle Music Park's Official Website, ceased operation in early 2010

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

April 9th, 2007 - Rides announced for Hard Rock park opening in 2008 - SEE BELOW!

September 20th, 2007 - A look at HRP's Preview Center and construction

March 17th, 2008 - "Midnight Rider" renamed "Life in The Fast Lane"

September 24th, 2008 - Park closes early for the season but says it will re-open in 2009 after emerging from Chapter 11

February 17th, 2009 - FPI MB puchases park for $25 million

February 20th, 2009 - new owners speak of potential changes to park

March 16th, 2009 - Nights in White Satin is no more

April 9th, 2009 - park is renamed Freestyle Music Park

May 4th, 2009 - transformation of "Led Zeppelin: The Ride" to "Time Machine" announced.

May 23rd, 2009 - Freestyle Music Park opens

June 21st, 2009 - Park announces lower than expected attendance numbers for first month

July 9th, 2009 - Park drops entry price significantly to draw crowds.

January 10th, 2010 - FPI MB being sued for assumed debt that it has not paid off

February 5th, 2010 - Freestyle Music Park forced to close its offices

March 29th, 2010 - Announcement that park has no plans to open in 2010

July 1st, 2010 - FPI MB fails to pay debt obligation, creditors could force park foreclosure

August 24th, 2010 - Most of Board of Directors resigns over foreclosure situation

June 12th, 2011 - FBI US (the mortgage holder) purchases the park out of foreclosure, park may reopen in 2012

February 13th, 2012 - Waccamaw Pottery outlets has a new owner!

February 17th, 2012 - Park gets new mortgage from foreign lender

July 3rd, 2012 - Land flagged for Hard Rock Park hotel up for auction

April 25th, 2013 - Concept for park plot gets sale offer of $10 million

May 14th, 2013 - Church group fails to raise enough money to buy Hard Rock Park

June 28th, 2013 - Hard Rock Park planned to release a park soundtrack!

September 18th, 2013 - Strange activity at The Time Machine/Led Zeppelin

October 21st, 2014 - Final coaster pieces being shipped away to new homes

December 9th, 2014 - Hard Rock Park buildings being demolished

January 17th, 2019 - Former park land sold for $3.5 million

November 6th, 2019 - Proposal rezones some land for distribution district

Original Post:

Yup, I love DaRock!

Official Hard Rock Park website:

http://www.hardrockpark.com/main.html

Two roller coasters - one jamming to '80s tunes, another blasting Southern rock - a cafe reminiscent of the '60s and a Jamaican-themed water play area are among the attractions that will fill the Hard Rock Park.

Six zones will cater to music fans' different tastes, from country to British rock. A heavy-metal comedy act dubbed "Roadies Stunt Show" will feature acrobatics and pyrotechnics.

The 140-acre park's developers, working on the park's financing and plan for more than four years, unveiled the details Monday, kicking off a six-city promotional tour at the Hard Rock Cafe in New York City.

Each stop will net a piece of Hard Rock memorabilia to go in the park, including a graffiti-covered wall from the notorious CBGB rock club in New York City, which closed last year, and a white studded cape owned and worn on stage by Elvis Presley.

The park is scheduled to open in April 2008. Tickets will sell for $46.

"We've been dreaming up Hard Rock Park for the last few years and we can't wait to start showing people what they can expect to experience," Steven Goodwin, the park's CEO, said in a news release Monday morning. "From the innovative technology to develop the rides and the entertainment experience to the truly priceless memorabilia we will have on display and special events we will host, visitors can expect a new standard of fun to rock fans of all ages."

Among the park's attractions:

# Maximum RPM! | A convertible car-coaster that races to 1980s new age hits

# Midnight Rider | A Southern Rock roller coaster that careens through a creepy abandoned lumber mill.

# Reggae River Falls | A Jamaican-themed water play area.

# Garage Jam! | A foam ball play-station

# Carnaby Street Cafe | A 1960s joint featuring gigantic lava lamps and traditional British fare

# Roadies Stunt Show | A high-action comedy starring heavy metal riggers performing acrobatics and pyrotechnics

# An amphitheater

# Mainstreet Gas & Gifts | An old gas station converted to a surf shop where antique glass gas pumps become kid- powered whirlpools.

The park will have six features catering to different genres:

# 1. All Access Entry Plaza - Stores and public spaces

# 2. Rock & Roll Heaven - Explores the feelings and emotions "behind the music," including the influences and the legends

# 3. British Invasion - Celebrates rock 'n' roll English style. The look and feel of London creates a backdrop to explore rock's most influential artists and musical genres

# 4. Lost in the 70's - An indoor mall featuring the '70s genres of punk, disco and glam

# 5. Born in the USA - Salutes the birthplace and "melting pot" of rock

# 6. Cool Country - The music of the South

Now that details have been released, officials are hitting the road in their most high- profile piece of memorabilia, the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour Bus, to promote the park. The bus will hit the Hard Rock Cafes in six cities, starting in New York today, then return to Myrtle Beach on April 18 for the opening of a preview center. The center, on the park site in Fantasy Harbour off U.S. 501, will give people a glimpse at what the park will look like.

This park is sounding awesomer by the minute. Would have been nice to know which ride will become the B&M, but the attractions sound like good ideas to an already great park! I just hope that it opens on time in 2008.

hrp1.jpg.e97a18bf4407cd5565d4c1dde31b9ef0.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Didn't see this posted here.....but this gives a better indication of what type of coaster the B&M might be:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/multimedia/myrtlebeachonline/KRT_packages/archive/mm/hardrocklook/index.html

I think it's the "Maximum RPM" coaster in the background; if that's actually the layout it doesn't look too bad!

EDIT: The Official Site, with a giant version of the pic in the above link is now up. If you go in through http://www.hardrockpark.com/ , turn your speakers down first.....

I think that might be some old concept art which may or may not relevant to what's actually going to to go up. It sounds like the B&M is going to be kind of like Hollywood Dream at Universal Japan. Whatever it turns out to be, I know where I'll be headed to in '08!

I live across the street from the park and I have seen what the park is suppose to look like. All i saw was a photo copy of the blue print but the roller coaster footprint looks identical to the ride pictured in that preview picture. Most of the buildings in the concept art look similar to the buildings that are in construction right now. You can also see coaster markings in that area and it looks pretty legit.

I am needless to say very excited about the park, but let me tell you that traffic will be terrible there until they finish the bridge that they are just starting construction on. Its already bad enough.

btw this is my first post on this site...

I agree, they really need to get the traffic situation figured out fast before they have a bigger problem on their hands... either way, people are going to show up in droves when it opens, but if they want people to keep coming back, they need to figure it out, quickly.

I know I can't wait to head down there once it opens! Sounds like it is gonna be a great park to visit!

Yeah the park is kinda in an odd place, and in a area that is full of abandoned buildings that needs some work. And they are working on fixing the traffic, but it wont be done for a while.

I think 3 coasters sounds about right, and they are going heavily on theming and the whole rock n roll idea so i think you are right when you say its going to be more of a universal type experience. I think their some of thier inspiration comes from Island of Adventure too.

After looking at the artwork again a little more closely, I think the "big" coaster-the B&M-may not have been announced yesterday.

The B&M is still there.....the big white coaster in the background. Looks to be lift, drop, loop, cobra roll, zero G roll, either a large flatspin or another vertical loop, a helix or an inclined loop and some helixes.

The reason I think this one was not part of the announcement is because when B&M were talking about it at IAAPA they said it would be themed to a "hard rock classic", and if you zoom in really closely to where the station would be and to the left of the bottom of the lift hill, you can see the "Zeppelin" that is rumored to be part of the theming.....