TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Some Cool Aerial Photo's of Disneyland and DCA!!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Niceeee. I was amazed to see how much 'urban" the Disneyland Resort is compared to WDW. It definately doesn't lose any of the magic.. even when staying at a crappy Best Western! However, I'd gladly take DL and DCA over any two Disney parks in FL. I'd even throw in Animal Kingdom as an added bonus!

Now if only DL had a castle...

Great pictures though.

Eric

I guess I'll take this opportunity to link to my aerial pictures of Disneyland and DCA:

http://zansstuff.com/aerialdl.html

The largest image (wait for it, it will load) is about 1 foot resolution.

Please don't submit that link to or post it on a high traffic web site. I already had BoingBoing.net link to me and cause 60 gigs of downloads in about 16 hours.

Oh, and if you are comparing castles, see the attached image.

dlwdwcastles.jpg.0ad199fc2838d4bce86d1044884cfaf8.jpg

Wow! That largest image is amazing! Seeing how HUGE Grizzly run looks from the air, and how small Matterhorn looks in comparison is incredible. And I love the leaves in Bug's Land from above. The shadow of DCA's "California" letters is really cool too.

Thanks so much for posting those! igsmile:

I tried doing something like that for WDW -- after about 2 hours I gave up -- hardly got anywhere...even though only half the 27000 acres are in color.

ahecht -- any plans to do WDW?

No, for a few reasons.

First off, as you stated, only parts of WDW are in color. Specifically, only the Magic Kingdom and the parts of EPCOT north of the American pavilion entrance (most of the southern world showcase backstage areas are not covered).

Second, WDW is huge. The area covered by a photo of just the guest areas of the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT would have to cover 2.3 square kilometers. Add in backstage areas, the Seven Seas lagoon, and the parking lots, and you now have 6.8 square kilometers to cover. By comparison, my picture with Disneyland, DCA, all backstage areas, Downtown Disney, the parking structure, and all the Disney hotels covers only 2.3 square kilometers.

Third, the aerial photos of that area are not as good quality, and look kind of grainy at full resolution. It's not worth my time to do them if the result won't be so great.

However, the images I used are now available through the National Map project, and can be accessed at http://terraserver-usa.com. If you want to tile them yourself, go ahead. Just make sure to select "Urban Areas" images, select the largest tile size (the size selector is in the upper left), and click the "download" button in the upper right to have it display a single image instead of individual tiles. With those settings, you can get .05 square kilometers per tile.