Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

P. 675 - Dare Devil Dive Flying Machines for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:14 am

I recently relocated to the Austin area for work (although I’ll be flying back to SoCal often) and figured I’d re-up my 2020 pass at Fiesta Texas instead of Magic Mountain. I knew yesterday would be busy, but I figured it’d be a good opportunity to get to know the park, crowd watch, and maybe jump on a couple of rides. It was busy, but not absurd, so I managed to get on all the major stuff that I wanted. It was my first visit so I don’t know how I feel about the park yet overall, and I think I should make a few more visits before I decide. I found the place to be very scenic, but Six Flags-scenic (a bit inconsistent). The boardwalk area looked especially nice at night, and I’d love to see more parks develop boardwalk / carnival-style sections like this. A few thoughts on the rides:

Poltergeist: I’d ridden the indoor version of this at Kings Island and kind of disliked it there — mainly because it’s a ride that warrants defensive riding, which is impossible in the dark. The Kings Island one was a combo of rough and snappy which, when ridden in the dark, resulted in pain. This was better, but it’s still whippy and rough. Operations were brutal; between eight and twelve minutes per dispatch. This, it turns out, was the fault of walks of shame. The train in front of me had seven and the one behind me had five. The ejected were definitely big, but not spectacularly so. The issue, it seems, is that the seats fold you forward in kind of an extreme way — which isn’t great for folks carrying extra weight. As such, a “25-minute wait” was well over an hour. It’s fun enough, but it’s not something I’d ride often if there’s a line.

Wonder Woman: A “20-minute wait” was more like 90 minutes (full switchbacks) because they were only filling three or four seats per train consistently. The line jumping was so out of control that I’d just call it a free-for-all. Dispatches were fast (three trains on constant rotation), but because they could only seat so few, most of the trains went too fast pass holders or went unfilled. Once I got to the station, I saw what the problems were in terms of only partially filling trains. They did indeed have several seats blocked off, but the odd loading system seems designed to fail.

As for the ride, I’m not as big a fan of RMC as most, and this kind of summed up everything I tend not to like about their more recent designs. The ride seemed way too fast for such a small layout, and it was all over in seconds. It’s certainly intense, but the intensity was more about the positive forces than the negatives, a couple of which bordered on gray-out inducing. It has the thigh-bruising ejection of other RMC rides, but in this case, it’s really only two uncomfortable slams (the first bunny-hop thing and the drop that follows the spiral. The first drop looked way worse than it was, and after that, much of it was a blur. For me, it was all breakneck speed and not that much fun. I thought the best part was looking at the drop while going up the hill — which just looks nuts. I was pretty amazed that the ride could handle such tight moves at that pace, but it makes sense given the proximity of the train to the track.

I rode it again at night before I left, and my impressions are largely the same. From the perspective of innovation, it’s great. It really does seem like a lot could be done with this concept, but this particular model’s not for me. I think the design would benefit from something more spread out or just longer (like the Poltergeist spaghetti bowl, or a really creative rethinking of a wild mouse). Don’t get me wrong, I’ll ride it again on revisits because I didn’t find it overly unpleasant. But the speed is just too ridiculous for such a compact track.

Superman: Again, an astounding amount of line jumping — like, shameless line jumping. There was no staff to be seen, so I guess it’s to be expected. Fortunately, the line for this was short — in spite of the line jumpers.

As far as the ride goes, it’s a fun B&M floorless. The acceleration into the first dive was great, as was the turnaround / rise up and drop out of the brake run. The rest was kind of standard-fare B&M (not a bad thing). As someone who actually likes Magic Mountain’s Scream (when it’s running well, at least), I do kind of prefer that one. Yet, I think I prefer Superman to Rougarou though as that was rough as hell when I rode it in its opening year. (I took a second ride later at night and in the back seat. Again, the two drops from the cliff are great. The rest is textbook B&M.)

Iron Rattler: This ended up being closer to a 90-minute wait. It was the weed-smoking section, it seems. The ride was running one train, dispatching every five or so minutes, so the queue was a place for folks to chill and get high. The line jumping was bad, but not as bad as the other rides because the line really wasn’t moving anywhere. Once the line got to the ramps, the line jumpers really had to work extra hard.

Anyhow, the ride’s fantastic. This is the kind of RMC I love: a good mix of intensity and plain old fun. It’s quite short (too short, really), but the first drop and subsequent elements are all great and so well paced. No RMC is ever rough, but this one’s extremely smooth all the way around. I sat in the back and I suspect this would be great in the front as well. I still give Twisted Colossus the edge for first-drop intensity, but this is a fantastic coaster. Of the RMCs I’ve ridden (about six or so), Texas Giant and this one are at the top.

Road Runner Express: The purported 50-minute wait was actually 10 minutes, and the station was nicely shaded. I love old-school arrow mine trains and this is one of the best I’ve been on. A really unique layout with more speed and force than you usually get on these models. The first drop was surprising and the ride was pretty smooth overall given the more “intense” layout. Really great coaster for its type.

Batman: I was dreading this as Green Lantern is, by a very long shot, the worst ride I’ve ever been on. X2, in my perspective, isn’t far behind. But X2 can be tolerable if you know how to ride it and / or plan your day around a potential migraine / injury. While I assumed this would be more comfortable than Green Lantern, I still anticipated it being an awful ride. Well, it wasn’t as bad as I thought. I don’t know if I’d ride it again as it’s the opposite of fun for me, but it was smooth throughout and the spins weren’t uncomfortable. It’s disorienting to the point where you can’t see a thing — basically making it a pointless experience IMO — but it wasn’t painful. When it does face plant you, you certainly feel it, but it’s nothing like the pain produced by GL.

I skipped Goliath as it’s a Batman clone that I’ve ridden many times before (it looks cool at the entrance though). Also, I skipped Pandemonium because I’ve ridden something like it at the other Texas Six Flags. Boomerang was down (terrible shame) and I skipped Fireball as I’ve ridden the carnie version and am totally fine never riding one of those again. Joker drew huge crowds all day, and I’ve been on Crazanity a bunch so I didn’t need to ride it. I’m sure everyone knows by now that Crazanity and Joker are incredibly intense rides, and perfect for parks like this. I hope more parks invest in them going forward.

I rode Sky Screamer and Scream as well. Sky Screamer gave great views despite being somewhat shorter than others I’ve ridden. It was still pretty freaky. Scream seemed unusually tame. Supreme Scream at Knotts is probably my favorite drop tower, but it goes to show that size matters as the Fiesta tower felt surprisingly small. Still, I love S&S drops.

So, a decent first visit in which I rode much more than I had expected. I’ll return soon on a slower day so that I can really take in the details more, but it looks like the park has very limited hours right now.
Last edited by Arthur_Seaton on Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:13 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:09 am

^ Dear God. That’s the most negative TR I’ve ever read.

Idk if it got any better..... But I stopped reading after your Iron Rattler section. So much negativity. It makes me wonder.... Whats the point of such a negative TR? Like.... anyone who can truly complain about Wonder Woman just blows my mind.
Bigger is not always better.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:18 am

DoinItForTheFame wrote:Like.... anyone who can truly complain about Wonder Woman just blows my mind.

I think it's okay (at least I hope it's okay!) to have different opinions on rides? I'm not a fan of extreme thigh-crusher airtime (I really didn't like Skyrush either, for example).

But yes, I think you might have misread my take (or not read, as you state). I really liked a number of the rides there: Iron Rattler and Road Runner in particular — both of which were excellent. It was interesting first visit, to say the least, but a good introduction I'd say.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby HellboyBegins7492 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Arthur_Seaton wrote:I recently relocated to the Austin area for work (although I’ll be flying back to SoCal often) and figured I’d re-up my 2020 pass at Fiesta Texas instead of Magic Mountain. I knew yesterday would be busy, but I figured it’d be a good opportunity to get to know the park, crowd watch, and maybe jump on a couple of rides. It was busy, but not absurd, so I managed to get on all the major stuff that I wanted. It was my first visit so I don’t know how I feel about the park yet overall, and I think I should make a few more visits before I decide. I found the place to be very scenic, but Six Flags-scenic (a bit inconsistent). The boardwalk area looked especially nice at night, and I’d love to see more parks develop boardwalk / carnival-style sections like this. A few thoughts on the rides:

Poltergeist: I’d ridden the indoor version of this at Kings Island and kind of disliked it there — mainly because it’s a ride that warrants defensive riding, which is impossible in the dark. The Kings Island one was a combo of rough and snappy which, when ridden in the dark, resulted in pain. This was better, but it’s still whippy and rough. Operations were brutal; between eight and twelve minutes per dispatch. This, it turns out, was the fault of walks of shame. The train in front of me had seven and the one behind me had five. The ejected were definitely big, but not spectacularly so. The issue, it seems, is that the seats fold you forward in kind of an extreme way — which isn’t great for folks carrying extra weight. As such, a “25-minute wait” was well over an hour. It’s fun enough, but it’s not something I’d ride often if there’s a line.

Wonder Woman: A “20-minute wait” was more like 90 minutes (full switchbacks) because they were only filling three or four seats per train consistently. The line jumping was so out of control that I’d just call it a free-for-all. Dispatches were fast (three trains on constant rotation), but because they could only seat so few, most of the trains went too fast pass holders or went unfilled. Once I got to the station, I saw what the problems were in terms of only partially filling trains. They did indeed have several seats blocked off, but the odd loading system seems designed to fail.

As for the ride, I’m not as big a fan of RMC as most, and this kind of summed up everything I tend not to like about their more recent designs. The ride seemed way too fast for such a small layout, and it was all over in seconds. It’s certainly intense, but the intensity was more about the positive forces than the negatives, a couple of which bordered on gray-out inducing. It has the thigh-bruising ejection of other RMC rides, but in this case, it’s really only two uncomfortable slams (the first bunny-hop thing and the drop that follows the spiral. The first drop looked way worse than it was, and after that, much of it was a blur. For me, it was all breakneck speed and not that much fun. I thought the best part was looking at the drop while going up the hill — which just looks nuts. I was pretty amazed that the ride could handle such tight moves at that pace, but it makes sense given the proximity of the train to the track.

I rode it again at night before I left, and my impressions are largely the same. From the perspective of innovation, it’s great. It really does seem like a lot could be done with this concept, but this particular model’s not for me. I think the design would benefit from something more spread out or just longer (like the Poltergeist spaghetti bowl, or a really creative rethinking of a wild mouse). Don’t get me wrong, I’ll ride it again on revisits because I didn’t find it overly unpleasant. But the speed is just too ridiculous for such a compact track.

Superman: Again, an astounding amount of line jumping — like, shameless line jumping. There was no staff to be seen, so I guess it’s to be expected. Fortunately, the line for this was short — in spite of the line jumpers.

As far as the ride goes, it’s a fun B&M floorless. The acceleration into the first dive was great, as was the turnaround / rise up and drop out of the brake run. The rest was kind of standard-fare B&M (not a bad thing). As someone who actually likes Magic Mountain’s Scream (when it’s running well, at least), I do kind of prefer that one. Yet, I think I prefer Superman to Rougarou though as that was rough as hell when I rode it in its opening year. (I took a second ride later at night and in the back seat. Again, the two drops from the cliff are great. The rest is textbook B&M.)

Iron Rattler: This ended up being closer to a 90-minute wait. It was the weed-smoking section, it seems. The ride was running one train, dispatching every five or so minutes, so the queue was a place for folks to chill and get high. The line jumping was bad, but not as bad as the other rides because the line really wasn’t moving anywhere. Once the line got to the ramps, the line jumpers really had to work extra hard.

Anyhow, the ride’s fantastic. This is the kind of RMC I love: a good mix of intensity and plain old fun. It’s quite short (too short, really), but the first drop and subsequent elements are all great and so well paced. No RMC is ever rough, but this one’s extremely smooth all the way around. I sat in the back and I suspect this would be great in the front as well. I still give Twisted Colossus the edge for first-drop intensity, but this is a fantastic coaster. Of the RMCs I’ve ridden (about six or so), Texas Giant and this one are at the top.

Road Runner Express: The purported 50-minute wait was actually 10 minutes, and the station was nicely shaded. I love old-school arrow mine trains and this is one of the best I’ve been on. A really unique layout with more speed and force than you usually get on these models. The first drop was surprising and the ride was pretty smooth overall given the more “intense” layout. Really great coaster for its type.

Batman: I was dreading this as Green Lantern is, by a very long shot, the worst ride I’ve ever been on. X2, in my perspective, isn’t far behind. But X2 can be tolerable if you know how to ride it and / or plan your day around a potential migraine / injury. While I assumed this would be more comfortable than Green Lantern, I still anticipated it being an awful ride. Well, it wasn’t as bad as I thought. I don’t know if I’d ride it again as it’s the opposite of fun for me, but it was smooth throughout and the spins weren’t uncomfortable. It’s disorienting to the point where you can’t see a thing — basically making it a pointless experience IMO — but it wasn’t painful. When it does face plant you, you certainly feel it, but it’s nothing like the pain produced by GL.

I skipped Goliath as it’s a Batman clone that I’ve ridden many times before (it looks cool at the entrance though). Also, I skipped Pandemonium because I’ve ridden something like it at the other Texas Six Flags. Boomerang was down (terrible shame) and I skipped Fireball as I’ve ridden the carnie version and am totally fine never riding one of those again. Joker drew huge crowds all day, and I’ve been on Crazanity a bunch so I didn’t need to ride it. I’m sure everyone knows by now that Crazanity and Joker are incredibly intense rides, and perfect for parks like this. I hope more parks invest in them going forward.

I rode Sky Screamer and Scream as well. Sky Screamer gave great views despite being somewhat shorter than others I’ve ridden. It was still pretty freaky. Scream seemed unusually tame. Supreme Scream at Knotts is probably my favorite drop tower, but it goes to show that size matters as the Fiesta tower felt surprisingly small. Still, I love S&S drops.

So, a decent first visit in which I rode much more than I had expected. I’ll return soon on a slower day so that I can really take in the details more, but it looks like the park has very limited hours right now.

Do you consider Six Flags and Seaworld your home parks because you relocated to Austin if your a theme park enthusiast I know it’s weird that the city doesn’t have a theme park do you find the drive stressful to drive an 1hour or 2?

Postby bert425 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:13 pm

^ I've lived in Austin for 30+ years, and yeah, Fiesta is absolutely my home park.

it's only about an hour 1/2 from my house to Fiesta, not much longer than my commute to work on a busy morning.

so yeah, the drive isn't bad at all. (and you gotta remember, Texas is BIG.. . even in Houston, it can be 50 minutes to get from one side of the City to the other).
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Coastard69 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:11 pm

Arthur_Seaton wrote:Iron Rattler: This was the weed-smoking section, it seems. so the queue was a place for folks to chill and get high.

Six Flags just keeps getting stranger with their smoking area placements. :lmao:
Your Favorite Coaster Sucks
Available on Spotify, Stitcher, Soundcloud and Apple Podcasts
440 Coasters - a few of them are good

Postby bert425 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:28 pm

it was me. . .this Austin hippy wears hemp underwear, and was gassy.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:04 pm

I think there are multiple questions here, so I'll try to break up your sentence accordingly:
HellboyBegins7492 wrote:Do you consider Six Flags and Seaworld your home parks because you relocated to Austin

They're the closest parks to where I currently live, so if that's how you determine "home park," then yes. I've never been to Sea World, so I can't really say that feels like a "home park" to me. However, I'm in SoCal every couple of weeks, and I've been to Knotts and Magic Mountain more times than Fiesta Texas since I relocated. I consider them to be "home parks."
HellboyBegins7492 wrote:if your a theme park enthusiast I know it’s weird that the city doesn’t have a theme park

I'm not quite following you here. I think you're asking me if I think it's weird that Austin doesn't have a theme park? The answer is no.
HellboyBegins7492 wrote:do you find the drive stressful to drive?

No, I don't find the drive stressful.
HellboyBegins7492 wrote:an 1hour or 2?

I've only driven it once. It took about 75 minutes — just a little more than it'd take to get across LA to Magic Mountain.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby hoppedup » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:13 am

Arthur_Seaton wrote:
HellboyBegins7492 wrote:if your a theme park enthusiast I know it’s weird that the city doesn’t have a theme park

I'm not quite following you here. I think you're asking me if I think it's weird that Austin doesn't have a theme park? The answer is no.

Hellboy thinks it's weird that every city doesn't have a theme park.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

Postby bert425 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:20 am

^ yep.

and note, that Arthur even says he waited in line for Iron Rattler ~90 minutes. and the drive from Austin to SFFT for him was ~75 minutes.

so yeah. . . it took him less time to get to the park, than the time he waited in Standby for Iron Rattler.

Hellboy seems to think that any drive more than 10 minutes or so is a horrible chore.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!