Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Supergirl Sky Flyer Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: Sluggo77 and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:44 pm

Look at it this way: management decided the ride needed new trains. You can't really advertise new trains and expect to get a return on your investment, but spend a little more money to re-theme it, and new trains, special effects, etc. and you have a marketable attraction and a chance to make ROI.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mpclinton22 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:08 pm

Bolliger&Mabillard wrote:
It makes you question management's focus and decison making capabilties.

Hey, what do you expect from a company that plans to spend 10 million dollars to renovate a ride that cost 5 and a half.

Superman did not cost 5 and half million dollars. It cost 36 million (according to Wikipedia). I think it's a good idea because now people who loved Superman before will want to return to try out the "new and improved" Superman for themselves. I think it was a smart idea because now they don't have to build a whole new ride.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:10 pm

^I'm pretty sure he was referring to X/X2...

Postby Wes » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:27 pm

mpclinton22 wrote:Superman did not cost 5 and half million dollars. It cost 36 million (according to Wikipedia).

(according to Wikipedia) hahahahaha

Somehow I doubt that SROS cost $10 million more than freaking Dragster or Kingda Ka, regardless of what a publicly editable online encylopedia tells you.

Cockroach and rat free since 2002!

Postby Bolliger&Mabillard » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:30 pm

I was actually referring to Texas Giant, but the same principle applies that corporate management at the moment are making some questionable decisions. Now I understand that marketing extensively rehabbed rides as "new" is an affordable way to get the turnstiles spinning, and I'm actually excited to see this transformation take place. I'm a big Superman fan and am familiar with the story behind him. There is no doubt in my mind that the theming will be better than what is was. I just hope that they stay practical in their budgeting.
"...and SuperKing, the best one of the three!"

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mpclinton22 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:49 pm

The number is probably so high as it includes the extension of the theme park down to where Superman is now located, as that was undeveloped when Superman was built. So the number is lower than that. It's unimportant now as he wasn't even referring to SROS. And Wikipedia puts restrictions on the editing of its information now, and I don't really see the benefit anyone would get from skewing that number. It's not like it's humorous or anything.

Either way I still think it's a good idea on SFI's part to revamp these roller coasters. It brings attention to its parks and hopefully more guests.

I play Metroid every day!

Postby Kennyweird » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:06 pm

Bizarro, huh? :?r

I really hope Six Flags knows what their doing.
This is my signature. Deal with it.
Kennywood Rides Team Member- Racer/Skycoaster
Coaster count: 67

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Jon34MA » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:40 pm

Kennyweird wrote:Bizarro, huh? :?r

I really hope Six Flags knows what their doing.

Now would be a good time to start.
So the video says they are adding fog and lights in the first tunnel. The second tunnel is a water mist so that is the water effect. Lets just hope they have fixed the wheel issue if they use the mist in the first tunnel like before. Otherwise this may be the first thing cut when things start to break. The fly through shield will be able to show any color. I am thinking this will be a projected image with color onto something. Lets not forget the tunnel after the turn around. Also I can't remember if anyone else said anything or not but the lift hill had the same tunnel markers on the lift. I could see a tunnel being added to the lift hill. I would have taken pictures but the 5 year ban for camera use on the ride made me think twice about it. Anyone else remember seeing the markers from about 75' to 120' on the lift hill?
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/f62f632ce394e0c2e47841bdeba33854.jpg[/img][/url]

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby sros1fan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:27 pm

There is no tunnel on the lifthill and to let you all know they have been painting the rest of the track since the weather has gotten better. The price to build SROS back in 2000 was 16 million. I can also give you a couple more details on the trains. The seatbelts are longer to accomodate larger guests and on the back of each seat is a light that goes on to let the ops know when the lapbar is down low enough which will help speed up load times. As i said in an earlier post in this thread i have seen all the plans for the ride but was asked by the park not to post the info yet as they wish to keep it secret.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:02 pm

CoasterGuy06 wrote:Look at it this way: management decided the ride needed new trains. You can't really advertise new trains and expect to get a return on your investment, but spend a little more money to re-theme it, and new trains, special effects, etc. and you have a marketable attraction and a chance to make ROI.

OK so why didn't they do this with Poltergeist & JJ back in 02 when new trains were added featuring the lapbars to replace the OTSR's?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!