TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

^ Getting better additions than the Great Escape saying much.

As for getting better rides than Great Adventure as of late, I'd agree primarily because of Wicked Cyclone, but SFGAdv has gotten some great things too as of late with Justice League, Safari, Zumanjaro, and their own Joker.

I'd say locals to Boston are plenty familiar with Six Flags New England and if they want to visit a local park, SFNE is their choice. The distance from the metro area is more a deterrent to tourists.

SFNE used to have a connecting bus from the Springfield Greyhound Bus Station. I don't know anyone who has ever taken it and they quietly removed it from their site a while back. I'm guessing they didn't find it worth the expense if they stopped offering it.

I'm not surprised that it was of limited value. Springfield is 10 minutes away from the park. I'm sure that people who live in Springfield have cars and are comfortable driving around. I think that the efficiency would be chartering buses from downtown Boston, Alston, and/or Cambridge. A lot of people in Boston don't have cars, and a lot of those people are actually young professionals with huge salaries or college students. I lived in Boston for several years so I know the dynamics of the city. Nobody ever really talked about SFNE. In fact, when I was living in Boston, that was the one period of my life where I stepped away from coasters the most at any point in my life.

If they wanted to capture the Boston market, they'd have to do an outreach program, and do a better job of getting buses out there. Boston is a walking city and its a T city. A lot of people who live there don't have cars despite having 6 figure salaries.

I think the Six Flags connecting bus was to get people who took Greyhound buses from Albany, Worcester, Hartford, Boston, etc and not just locals. But if they stopped it, they probably realized it wasn't worth the expense.

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of work for people and the door to door trip would be incredibly time consuming. That transfer is really going to make it a pretty long trip. At that point, driving sounds a lot more appealing. Heck, young professionals might just opt to do a Zipcar at that point. I think that the efficiency that would be appealing to young professionals or other carless people would be a bus that starts downtown and drops you right off at the gate. Beyond that, getting in your car and driving is appealing enough. And, like any park, big groups will charter their own buses (you know, the groups of 100's of kids and chaperones in matching T-shirts), and they tend to make up a large chunk of the attendance on any given day.

Just drove an hour and a half to the park to find out they closed 15 minutes ago. No warning on social media or their website. Can't wait till this company goes bankrupt.

For the record, in the time I stopped and wrote this post from a parking spot, 25 cars pulled in and turned around. It's 52 degrees and cloudy...

That's really a bummer. I was considering trying to make it out for HITP, but I suspected they'd close early due to low crowds (and blame the weather of course). When SFNE closes early, they often give only 15 minutes notice.

There was one visit last year where the park had a posted 10 pm closing. There was a bad rainstorm in the morning, so I purposefully arrived at 3:30 pm. At this time, the parking booth still showed a 10 pm close and they were still charging/checking passes for parking. I entered the park around 3:45 pm and then they announced the park was closing at 3:45 pm. I have since learned to get there at opening on days with inclement weather or just go on a better day.

On one hand I feel like it's absolutely insane for anyone on this site who should know better to drive that far to go to a Six Flags park on a day like this where an attendance closure was almost a given but at the same time as of now the website says nothing about a closure, Facebook says nothing about a closure and Twitter says nothing about a closure and they closed 2 hours ago. Actually they haven't made a single post on Twitter in a month and they haven't posted on Facebook in 3 weeks.

Like... what are they even doing?

SFNE has almost no social media presence, I don't think they have ever posted about a closing anywhere besides their website this year. Their calendar does say until 6 today but obviously they should have a banner or something on their site. They pulled the closing early shenanigans two or three weeks ago on me, but we still managed to have a good visit. The weather was fine but attendance was super low. It seems like they will close early if there is low attendance and slightly bad weather.

As for getting better rides than Great Adventure as of late, I'd agree primarily because of Wicked Cyclone, but SFGAdv has gotten some great things too as of late with Justice League, Safari, Zumanjaro, and their own Joker.

I agree. Not saying it’s drastically better but Wicked Cyclone definitely ups it for SFNE. Also getting the world’s tallest Sky Screamer, “at that time, and Great Adventure’s originally being announced shorter than what it even ended up being. Harley Quinn became the best flat at SFNE. Cyborg not so much. I’m looking forward to seeing how different Wonder Woman will feel being taller. I’d even add in the new trains on Riddler which have greatly improved that coaster. Joker’s are a wash. Safari is great and I do enjoy Zumanjaro just wish the could getting it running together with Ka. All they have to do is flip a switch if they can get the inspector’s approval. Justice League was a pretty awesome addition as well. Anyways just my opinions.

• 2 weeks later...

Our visit to the park over the summer was very disappointing. Service, major safety concerns, closing early for a 20 min passing storm, and guest services were all a major fail for this park.

You can see our trip report here.....

https://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75949&hilit=Mega+2018&start=40

I went through and gave them my clicks for the entertainment value. Just wanted to post here and mention how hilarious it was when they mentioned Nickelodeon Universe as a disappointment. They're talking about Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, and other major parks, and they're disappointed that a little kiddie park in a mall isn't the great park on Earth. Hilarious.

I went through and gave them my clicks for the entertainment value. Just wanted to post here and mention how hilarious it was when they mentioned Nickelodeon Universe as a disappointment. They're talking about Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, and other major parks, and they're disappointed that a little kiddie park in a mall isn't the great park on Earth. Hilarious.

EXACTLY! Entertainment value only. Was tempted to put in every forum to see how many get mad/ start back and forths on what should or should not be in the list. Didn't do it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the Cyborg ride is going to be called Cyborg Hyper Drive, as said on the description for the Six Flags site when you look up "six flags cyborg hyper drive." But on the site itself, it's still called Cyborg.

Also, I hate how the Six Flags press release, and thus everywhere else, call the DC Super Villain (Six Flags terminology) as "The Grid," when I know exactly which character they are referring to and know his name is just "Grid." The sole place on the Net you'll see his correct name be used in this context is the ride's page on the Six Flags Wiki, which I created and edited. I wonder why they're using Grid if he apparently last appeared in the New 52. Injustice 2, maybe? (Does that mean he's still in the Rebirth?! Haven't caught up with the Cyborg comics because I only have volume 1.) Speaking of, I find Grid's voice in Injustice 2 strangely hot (on the same level of hotness as Cyborg's voice) and hope he has that voice, with added emotion (because Six Flags don't care about continuity! Hooray!) in the ride.

I hope I can take my singing and dancing fun to the park this June.

EXACTLY! Entertainment value only. Was tempted to put in every forum to see how many get mad/ start back and forths on what should or should not be in the list. Didn't do it though.

In fairness to the article, it just looks like whoever wrote it prefers the theme parks, and doesn't really enjoy the amusement parks. So they're just not going to appreciate the things that people who just want coasters and don't care about theming care about.

So we didn't get a January announcement at all for the Cyborg ride, besides a leaked title, "Cyborg: Hyper Drive." "Hyper Drive" could be referring to the device in the storyline, but I'm more concerned about if "The Grid" is supposed to be Grid or not. It probably is, because I've heard Grid called that before (on the TV Tropes page for Justice League: Forever Evil, to be specific.) And besides, they said it was a "sentient cybernetic system." Obviously Grid.

Now I just wanna know how his voice will sound. Because I fucking love that Injustice 2 voice, even if it's Cyborg speaking in monotone pitched down. (Aw great, because I said "Cyborg speaking in monotone," that means I have to bring up the Justice League webcomic idea I have where Grid invades Cyborg's brain to steal his emotions, and Cyborg ends up sounding monotonous. We now return to your regular Six Flags New England discussion.)

• 4 weeks later...