Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

P. 362: Timber Wolf gets an 70° over banked turn in 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

Postby greenman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:05 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Yeah, at this point I expect SFStL to get their 10th coaster when SDC announces their 9th just to keep the title of "Missouri's Coaster Capital". I expect WoF not to care at all.

I’m absolutely not trying to spread false hope, and what I’m going to tell you
is or was just small talk. When I was at Crypticon in July, I talked with a haunt promoter
and asked what was new for 2019. He told me the truth and answered “ nothing”

Then he told me that there was loose talk about how They would like to
Do a reimagining of Zambezi Zinger. Again just talk at that point, probably still is talk, I don’t think Dino’s
Leave until 2020? Not sure.

Anyways didn’t really want to say anything about it on here, because
most likely it will become nothing, but it gives us something to talk about.

I also think this is the direction of the park, family and bringing back the nostalgia. It’s been happening

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:36 pm

greenman wrote:
Philrad71 wrote:Thanks for the Winterfest photos!

If the weather pans out, I will be flying to KC to visit a friend the weekend of December 7th and am thinking of checking this place out (never been to this park). I know that most of the coasters and rides won't be open and I am cool with that.

Any must-do attractions, drinks (of the alcoholic variety) or food to try at this park for anyone that has attended this event?

The only food that I think is decent is the bbq. I think they are really
Trying to improve the park food. I had some fried potato skewer that wasn’t quite
Fried long enough, had the consistency of scalloped potatoes, kinda mushy.
Nothing like you would find at Silver dollar City, but props to them for trying I guess.

The park is very pretty, I don’t think you will be disappointed.
Ride the Prowler, it actually rides decent with it being cold.
Also purchase your ticket online, I believe it’s cheaper. Otherwise it’s 41 something with tax at the gate

Thanks for the tips!

I think that based on what you have told me that we might eat somewhere before we go to the park and then get something warm to sip on while we are there. If I get BBQ, I want it to be from one of the local hot spots! ;)

I assume that Prowler is probably a better ride in the front than anywhere else? Also, are there wheeled and non-wheeled seats that I should hit up or avoid? Seems like reviews of this coaster have varied immensely in the past couple of years.

If it works out, I will likely buy my tickets through Club TPR through Tickets At Work (shameless plug). They were like $24.99 or something like that which is quite the discount from what they were on the WoF website!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:49 pm

Yeah go front row for Prowler. Like a lot of older GCIs, it gets rougher the farther back you are.

As for food, we really only eat at the Chickie's and Pete's there, but since you've got one close to you, sounds like a good plan to eat in town before you go.

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:29 pm

^ Thanks Andrew!

I still have the name of a couple of the places that you recommended, plus there is a brewery that we're talking about hitting up as well. Can't remember the name of it though!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:55 pm

Probably Boulevard on Southwest Blvd. They were one of the early players in craft brewing, got started in the 80s. Their big deal is the Unfiltered Wheat. Very good stuff. I also recommend the Single Wide IPA and the Jam Band Berry Ale.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby greenman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:07 pm

Let us know what bbq joint you checked out.
My faves are Q39 and Joes KC. Also if you happen to like Doppelbocks, KC Bier Co.
makes a great one, KC Bier Winter Bock.
My favorite Blvd beers are The Calling which is a lighter representation of a double IPA
and their Rye on Rye which is seasonal unfortunately.

I agree about Prowler, ride towards the front. If you ride in the back you’re gonna have a bad time lol

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:45 pm

Agreed on Q39. I've only had KC Bier's pilsner but it was good. Will have to check out those others too, thanks.

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks guys!

Sounds like Q39 is a place worth checking out...and the Boulevard sounds great too. :lover:

Fingers crossed that the weather holds flying out of Erie, then Detroit and to KC next week - it's horrible here now!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby SLCHeadache » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:15 pm

Saw Worlds of Fun shoot down a guy tweeting that he'd make unauthorized ride POV videos with his camera glasses while encouraging others to buy them and do the same: https://www.twitter.com/worldsoffun/status/1083146477344641024 (It's in the thread)

Mad props to WoF. Now I want to squeeze in WoF/SDC into my 2019 plans somehow. Worth scaling back my Carowinds return? Previously, my Carowinds trip was going to be a full week off and include Dollywood and SFoG, but I could just make it Memorial Day Weekend and just the park (staying with my mother).

The other major reason is that I went back for my Cedar Fair Platinum, but only have one non-home park visit and need another to make it worthwhile. WoF would be my second non-home visit. Otherwise I would need to extend my NYC trip to add a return to Dorney.
Top steel: Millennium Force / Steel Vengeance / Intimidator 305 / Maverick / Fury 325
Top wood: El Toro / Phoenix / GhostRider / Renegade / Flying Turns

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:59 am

Wow, the arrogance of that guy.... If I were their PR guy, I'd be forwarding that to legal so they can send him a cease and desist letter when those videos show up advertising his product.

Don't "squeeze in" SDC anywhere. Worlds of Fun can be done in a day, but SDC needs two.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!