Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Vortex Being Removed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Gimme Some Candy!

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:43 pm

I would almost bet on them replacing SoB with something steel. Wasn't the GP over in California convinced when Terminator opened that it was just Psyclone? Wouldn't want KI to build a new woodie only for people to think it's still SoB, so they might have to go with someone as different from it as possible.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Wed May 09, 2012 6:18 pm

I've had good rides (seat 6-2 in the old Premier trains actually made the ride bearable since you weren't sitting on a wheel seat and the vocalizations of those riding behind you were priceless).

The ride should have been ripped out in phases as soon as the ride was closed for good after the last incident. No amount of work, not even Rocky Mountain track, will save that ride. Would be a nice location for a full-circuit invert that uses the topography.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Wed May 09, 2012 7:20 pm

molemaster43 wrote:I've wanted it to return as a Rocky Mountain, but that would cost a lot of money. But, it would've been a better investment, in my opinion, than spending $10 million on just converting the water park into a corporate water park and adding no new slides.

Besides the structural problems & mishaps that have occurred with it the ride is just plain boring,seems paramount wasn't known for adding quality woodies to their parks as the hurler twins are just as bad from a layout perspective & perhaps would've been better off adding something of the steel variety on that spot to begin with instead.

If hurler's layout is as bad as it is I can't begin to suspect that thunder run (the ride it was based on)was any good.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Wed May 09, 2012 7:57 pm

^See, this is what I don't understand: the Hurlers have always been reviled...while Thunder Run was praised (especially when it wasn't terribly rough). Speaking from experience, Thunder Run was a ton of fun and offered multiple moments of GREAT airtime. I just can't imagine how the Hurler twins could be that much different.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:39 pm

^From what I can tell from a video of Thunder Run (I've only been on Hurler at Kings Dominion), it's better-banked during each of the turnarounds. That's a huge plus. I actually like its layout even less, though, but regardless. It also could've just been better-maintained, and it looks like trims weren't added to it - those are what did the great airtime in on Hurler, so now it's just rough and boring instead of rough and halfway decent.

Though, I will admit, I do ride Hurler every time I go to Kings Dominion, and I don't think it's that bad. Roughness doesn't get me on wooden coasters, I think I could've handled SoB in that aspect too. It's the boring that does these rides in for me!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Postby SFOGdude25 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:40 pm

^^The difference was really subtle. I got to ride Carowinds' Hurler last year, and I didn't find it all that rough, but I did find it a little boring. Hurler's layout somehow just doesn't pace as well as Thunder Run did. Also, Thunder Run was never trimmed whereas both Hurlers are trimmed on the first drop.
Let's not get off topic here, though. Nothing would make me happy quite like seeing SoB be torn down and the area be utilized for a brand new attraction. I'm sick of it just standing there wasting space.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Living right in the middle of the 2 Hurlers (3 hours away from each) I can say that both aren't as bad as what people make them out to be, but they certainly aren't great rides. I do however find Kings Dominion's slightly smoother on the straight stretches of the ride.

Back on the topic of Kings Island... around when do the local school systems get out around the Cincinnati area? I'm planning a trip there (and CP) in early-mid June and am trying to avoid the school crowds if possible.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Wed May 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Schools will be out but you should be fine, regardless.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:09 pm

^ Thanks for the information.

At the moment, it's looking like I'll be at KI on a Monday/Tuesday and CP on Wednesday/Thursday. I'm hoping this will help with crowds, but I do plan on getting Fast Lane at CP. I really don't see the need at KI since KD is my "home" park and I can ride all the FOF, Backlot, Windseeker, ect. I want back here in Virginia.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby IronWolfman » Thu May 10, 2012 8:54 am

KI should replace SoB with a Record Breaking B&M Hyper Invert.... That's what I've been thinking, since they like Big rides and the don't have a very good Invert.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!