Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Vortex Being Removed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A not-so-awesome title

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby molemaster43 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:04 pm

I've wanted it to return as a Rocky Mountain, but that would cost a lot of money. But, it would've been a better investment, in my opinion, than spending $10 million on just converting the water park into a corporate water park and adding no new slides.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Wed May 09, 2012 2:30 pm

UrbanLegend wrote:Although I never had the 'privilege' of riding SoB, I hope that this is true. The whole thing is taking up some valuable real estate that could be used for a new star attraction, or maybe just a bunch of flat rides, or anything really. Anything is better than it sitting there and rotting away.

I agree. I have never even been to this park (that will change however in less than 3 weeks) but I know how it feels to go to a park and have a ride just sitting there (I live close to Knoebels and they have yet to open Flying Turns). I feel like if that story per Screamscape is true than why did they accept subgrade wood? Isn't this stuff (as in materials) inspected before its built once it arrives to the build site? Also, if it has insufficient supports shouldn't they have caught that in designing/building it? I guess to me these things just make sense to check in my opinion. I get sad when I see things like this. Now I know it cost a lot to tear down a coaster - especially one this big. But really come on a decision needs to be made - either "try" to fix it or get rid of it. I would hate to be the guest relations people who probably get questions about it EVERYDAY the park is open.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Uber Designer

Postby Real » Wed May 09, 2012 2:37 pm

molemaster43 wrote:I've wanted it to return as a Rocky Mountain

That was my hope. I never rode it so that would be the best option. Think of all that speed...airtime and such?

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:11 pm

But why would you, as a company, spend some $10-15 million on re-doing a ride that has one of the worst reputations of any ride in existence? On top of those millions you're looking at another chunk of change to re-brand and re-advertize the ride, and even then you aren't guaranteed that anything's gonna change. It's the ride that killed some lady to plenty of people, and that isn't something you can just overcome. Cedar Fair has probably determined that by now, and so I would be more surprised to see it reopen than to see it demolished.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Wed May 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Seriously, as someone that rode it, there was no speed, airtime, or any other positive factor about this ride. The loop was the only smooth part, and that's long gone. This ride was a mistake from day one. Just look at the history of lawsuits this ride has generated. Nothing could make this ride better, and the park has dumped insane amounts of money into this woodpile over the years to try and get it to work without success.

It's far better for the park/CF to just say "enough" and get rid of it and use the land for something that will improve the park, whether it's a new coaster or other attractions. I really hope this "rumor" is true.

And there's really only one company they should call if they end up wanting a new wooden coaster: Intamin. You would think the popularity of these rides would result in more being built...

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:24 pm

^It will always be beyond me how the Intamin woodies haven't taken off. I can't find a price tag for any of the bigger models, but Balder cost under $10 million. Where's my Balder closer to home??
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

The playground is where I spend most of my days

Postby UrbanLegend » Wed May 09, 2012 3:25 pm

I am also at a loss as to why the world isn't just lousy with Intamin pre-fabs. I thought the whole point of them was that they're quick to build and reliable and enjoyable.
-Did you just say you have the right to be an attorney?
-Well, everyone has the right to be an attorney, if they want to.

I make music: https://tigercastle.bandcamp.com

Postby Philrad71 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:56 pm

I agree with most others about SoB...tear it down and try again. No airtime, no good speed, no fun, just nothing but pure, evil pain.

I had something jostle in my innards that I don't think was supposed to jostle when I rode it. There was definitely something not right with that coaster and it's design from day one. Me, my Dad and partner all agreed that it was the worst coaster we had ever ridden...and we've been on a lot of coasters.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to even experience the loop, but the coaster from start to finish was pure garbage and that even included the first drop.I supposed I could put this in the 'near death experience' topic?

Sure looks pretty from afar, but I don't even think a Rocky Mountain High treatment could pump some good blood back into this completely crappy coaster.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby MrSum1_55 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:12 pm

If there is any coaster that should have been a prefab from the minute planning started, it's SOB. Although it is possible that, at the time it was being considered, the concept of a Prefab had not been introduced.

In fact, I could see a prefab going up in SOB's spot, as the ride takes up an insame amount of space, and a giant woodie could easily be built. A prefab costs about the same amount of cash to build, but costs less to maintain and has higher capacity than a standard wood coaster. (Most GCI's pull less than 900 pph, while El Toro, with just two trains, can pull up to 1500 pph)

Then again, they could use the NTAG treatment. Either way, I am sure no one will be dissapointed, and there is no way whatever they are putting there can be worse than SOB.

Postby ginzo » Wed May 09, 2012 5:25 pm

MrSum1_55 wrote:If there is any coaster that should have been a prefab from the minute planning started, it's SOB.

One problem: Intamin prefabricated woodies weren't invented yet.

I hope the rumor about SoB being removed is true. You don't have to be a structural engineer to know that any further investment would be throwing good money after bad.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!