Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1930 - ACTUAL POV of Orion!
Users viewing this topic: CaptainUnknown, KIEnthusiast, PKI Jizzman, XII and 21 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:18 pm

SharkTums wrote:Check out the new ACTUAL POV that Kings Island released of Orion today!

YES!...that SURE looks like a FUN, exhilarating coaster to ME (in my humble..well maybe not so humble...opinion)! :lol: Those dynamic drops 'n dips 'n curves look enticing, & I can see so many park goers having a helluva good time on Orion. (I simply do not get why every new coaster built must be designed with the aim of "gray-outs" and wishing that you hadn't eaten anything in the last 24 hours! :lmao: ) Thanks Kings Island for pleasing ALL of your patrons.

Alice

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby KarlaKoaster » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:19 pm

I realise I could lose any street cred I had left by making this observation as this is 'peak geek', but I noticed there is no antirollback noise at all. It looks like B&M are using the same system as Intamin now where rollback dogs only engage when the train slows/stops as it appears there is a fin to the right of the antirollbacks.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:18 am

KarlaKoaster wrote:I realise I could lose any street cred I had left by making this observation as this is 'peak geek', but I noticed there is no antirollback noise at all. It looks like B&M are using the same system as Intamin now where rollback dogs only engage when the train slows/stops as it appears there is a fin to the right of the antirollbacks.

That is awesome! Thanks for calling that out!
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bill_s » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:06 am

Is the sound at 1:08 over the speed hill the upstop wheels engaging? It seems more like maybe the mic moved or wind changed since the sound is different the rest of the way.

Every giga other than SD2000 has focused on maintaining speed over its airtime moments. The amount and type of airtime varies for both gigas and hypers. For example, I305 and MF both have more ejector airtime than every B&M combined and probably transverse as much track while airborne as Diamondback and more than I232 and SD2000.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby KarlaKoaster » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:00 am

I couldn't hear much because of the wind noise, but if you can hear a clunk over every hill then it's just the antirollbacks lifting up/falling back into place with the airtime that this coaster apparently doesn't have. You can also hear a similar clunk towards the bottom on Dive Coasters and on the slow inline twists that Wing Coasters have.

(Now that my street cred has totally gone, I'm doubling down on the nerdiness)

Favorite element on SkyRush is the Stengel Dive!

Postby BDG » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:24 am

bill_s wrote:Is the sound at 1:08 over the speed hill the upstop wheels engaging? It seems more like maybe the mic moved or wind changed since the sound is different the rest of the way.

I'm guessing they had some sort of windguard over the microphone up until that point... then it flew off. :lmao:

Looks like a pretty sweet ride. Very fast. Relentless. Totally different from Diamondback.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:39 am

KarlaKoaster wrote:I realise I could lose any street cred I had left by making this observation as this is 'peak geek', but I noticed there is no antirollback noise at all. It looks like B&M are using the same system as Intamin now where rollback dogs only engage when the train slows/stops as it appears there is a fin to the right of the antirollbacks.

I noticed the same thing, but didn't post anything because I figured I'd be the only one who noticed or cared! Hahaha. But yes, it looks like they installed a magnetic strip alongside the antirollbacks like Intamin did on their early hypers to help reduce noise. I believe this lift is faster too, or it at least looks like it.
Steel: 197 / Wood: 33 / Total: 230
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:50 am

ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:YES!...that SURE looks like a FUN, exhilarating coaster to ME (in my humble..well maybe not so humble...opinion)! :lol: Those dynamic drops 'n dips 'n curves look enticing, & I can see so many park goers having a helluva good time on Orion. (I simply do not get why every new coaster built must be designed with the aim of "gray-outs" and wishing that you hadn't eaten anything in the last 24 hours! :lmao: ) Thanks Kings Island for pleasing ALL of your patrons.

Alice

I think people overlook this a bit because they want something "better than anything else." SV, i305, etc. are fantastic coasters because they're crazy, but for some they're literally too much. I think what makes Diamondback so great is how incredibly rerideable it is, and I have NO doubt Orion will be the same, especially considering it clocks 90+ mph!
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Flickr | YouTube | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:23 pm

I was just hoping for a little more twist to the layout, like Fury. Those little pops out of your seat on each transition are pretty awesome. Orion is using the terrain, but I would have loved to have seen them turn left and use the woods, instead of going straight back by the Beast. No doubt this will be a really fun coaster, and it's pointless to judge until you ride it. It has a lot of potential, but so did the space they looked had an opportunity to use.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:52 pm

KarlaKoaster wrote:I realise I could lose any street cred I had left by making this observation as this is 'peak geek', but I noticed there is no antirollback noise at all.

Fanboys be all like, "B&M lift hills are quiet because they're boring. RMC lift hills are loud because they're soooo intense!!"

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!