Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1814 - Orion Giga Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby DILinator » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:28 am

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:Oh, that's cool! I hadn't heard about the show building, was it in one of the press releases that I missed? I think that would work out really well, actually. FoF's theming was in full effect yesterday, and that's pretty much all in the queue, so if its anything like that it will be awesome. And again, I can't stress enough how amazing these two rides are going to complement each other.

Ok, I should have been more careful with the term "show building", because that implies something that may or may not be present. There is a building shaded in, right before the stairs going up to the station, that in the blueprints is described as a "New Prop Building." Both the FL and Standby queues go through this structure, and it appears that even at their smallest size, they still do (it's right before the stairs.) So while expecting a "show" may be a bit much, there is enough room between the standby and FL queue, that a themed prop could fit in there, or a large TV screen showing pre-video supporting the ride's theme. While it's probably nothing too major, or even on the level of Disaster Transport's animatronics in the early days, it's something, and I look forward to seeing what's in there!

prozach626 wrote:Also, sorry. I don't think I replied to your TR, but I also enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

Glad you enjoyed it! Your large TR's inspired me to take the time, I guess! :)

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Postby Superbatboy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:26 am

Looking at KI's coaster line up in 2008 vs what it will be in 2020, no one can say Cedar Fair hasn't given this park great love and attention. Grrrrr, now when I finally get out to Cedar Point again I'm going to have to go back to Kings Island as well.
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:57 am

I am personally stoked for this coaster!

While I really like KI because of Banshee, Beast, FoF, Diamondback and The Bat, having a giga compliment those great coasters is just the icing on the cake. I always thought that KI needed a giga to round a decent collection and now they will have it.

Now that I am in KC, doing a meet-up with my sister and brother-in-law there would be about halfway for us. I shared the TPR link with them on FB last night and they are stoked about this announcement (even though my sister absolutely LOVES Valravn and would have preferred a dive coaster over a giga - lol)!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby landan.brawley » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Very excited for this addition to KI. I've had a ton of experience riding Leviathan in the past (CW is my home park) and this looks like a much more refined version of that prototype. Personally, I would take this layout over Levi's as it looks like it'll have better pacing and better elements. That helix towards the end should be fairly intense with how tight it is and the head-chopper effect that is created when you pass under the first drop will be awesome. Hoping to get out to KI for the first time when this opens next spring.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Condor » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:28 pm

While a couple of camelbacks at the end could have finished it off nicely, I think Orion looks pretty good. Leviathan is a highly regarded, if maybe not world class coaster and it has a far more vanilla layout than this. I fully expect most of us who eventually ride this to come away impressed. At least it’ll get me back to the park for the first time in 5 years.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby richwoodrocket » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:26 pm

I'll be honest, its fun to make fun of this coaster. There's so much to joke about this coaster. However, I think this is going to be an awesome coaster.
This reminds me of when copperhead strike opened. Everybody complained that the coaster wasn't the tallest, fastest, and didn't break any records. Why does every new coaster need to break records? Surely these companies, (B&M, Intamin) are walking on the fine line of what the human body can actually handle. Not every new coaster needs to push the limits of technology.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby super7 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:11 pm

The out And back layout is uninspired. They could have used the terrain of the valley to build one of the worlds most unique coasters. Instead, the are installing a Cedar Fairs least interesting Giga. But a Giga is a Giga s d this is just that and nothing more.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:00 am

A great lineup at this park. The Beast, the best "new" invert, a great suspended and a giga coaster? Great stuff for wanting to get back there asap.

When I first saw Orion, the layout caught my attention as being pretty cool and one of the more interesting ones out there, that I didn't even care how tall it was. It was going to be a giga anyways, and happened to match Millennium Force in height, which is still one of my all time favourites. Sure, deep down it's cool that Leviathan has a taller height and drop but you have to give CW that at least, considering the great invert that KI has, compared to the dynamic duo of Flight Deck and Time Warp.

I'm not sure if it explains anything about the brake runs, but with Leviathan it's a block section over Dragon Fyre, which would normally be an MCBR, followed by the brake run and then a transfer track section. Not sure about that height, other than using gravity to the transfer track and station.

I'm sure Orion is going to be a huge draw. Just seeing those towering hills over Racer is going to be amazing. Diamondback already has that awesome effect, towering over the park. Absolutely the park did its research and worked with B&M to get what they wanted. Even if they worked with Intamin, the park would have still gotten what they wanted and it would have looked and ridden exactly like Orion. I mean, enthusiasts complain about how lame Millennium Force is, so manufacturer makes no difference other than having a track record over another, for being able to do what a park wants at a given time. Regular park guests don't know or care about what an Intamin or B&M is. All they'll talk about is, "OMG, did you try the Orion" or "Look at the blue one" or "Did you see the Leviathan? We need to try it", which turns into ridership. I was at a park event listening in on an enthusiast asking a park rep why they are building "x" coaster when they could have built "y" coaster, which would be so much more awesome. The park rep just said that if they built what enthusiasts wanted, no one would come (referring to regular guests and pass holders that keep the business going).

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:10 am

rollin_n_coastin wrote:I was at a park event listening in on an enthusiast asking a park rep why they are building "x" coaster when they could have built "y" coaster, which would be so much more awesome. The park rep just said that if they built what enthusiasts wanted, no one would come (referring to regular guests and pass holders that keep the business going).

I love that park rep! Some people just need to hear the truth.

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:39 am

^ That park rep needs a raise in my book! :-)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!