TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

And I'm gonna be perfectly honest, repeat rides on roller coasters in 30 degree weather isn't as amazing the 4th or 5th time around as you might think. Eventually all you'll wanna do is warm up. I didn't even bother doing Mystic Timbers last visit, even tho I'm sure it was a walk-on by the end of the night.

Besides, Winterfest is more for slowing down and enjoying the lights and skating and entertainment all around the park. Every corner seems to have different entertainers singing, taking photos with you, parading you around in a horse-drawn stagecoach or riding around in a vintage automobile waving at folks.

There usually is a time that once it passes, it becomes more of a probability instead of a possibility that the train will valley.

This is exactly the opposite of how it generally works (at least on all of Great Adventure's coasters that run for Holiday in the Park). As time passes the rides run faster and faster as they keep cycling to the point where even if the temperature drops considerably (or the wind picks up considerably) after dark the rides haul A$$ because they've been running for about 5 hours straight. If a ride is going to valley it will almost always do it at the beginning of the day (probably during testing).

Difference is during normal season, rides start cycling much earlier in the day. During Winterfest, rides done start cycling until at most 2 hours before open.

...okay. I’m not even sure what point you’re trying to make.

Why are we still on this? If they wanted to run more coasters then they could. We know that because Six Flags exists. As Zach said, Cedar Fair and Six Flags just have different approaches to their events.

The focus of Winterfest doesn't seem to be on rides, which is contrary to Six Flags. Both park chains offer different experiences. I think if there's any chance one of their few coasters which are open might valley, it's just serves them no purpose to risk it when they clearly don't cater to thrill seekers for Winterfest. Six Flags may operate rides in colder temperatures, because it needs them to draw a crowd.

As much as I enjoy HITP, I think the strategy that CF takes is smarter. Less wear and tear. Less maintenance. Less staffing. More focus on Holiday activities. If I had kids, I would be more interested in taking them to a Winterfest event vs. HITP. I personally don't think the ride operations at Cedar Fair have anything to do with laws that possibly don't exist and manufacturer's recommendations. It's also important to remember that a manufacturer's recommendations may have nothing to do with safety and more to do with the general performance of the ride.

They both take up a lot of personnel time - you need bodies to rent skates and clean the ice after all - but ultimately the point is valid that I think each company approaches the events different. Cedar Fair's perspective is more along the lines of what Hershey, Kennywood, and BGW do in how limited their ride options are, and Six Flags is going to be Six Flags for better or worse because their infrastructure is more limited. Personally I like that when I go to SFOG in a couple weeks, there's gonna be coasters and flat rides galore. Thought that ruled about SFSTL too. I don't want to make a long (like 5+ hour) drive just to go drink hot cocoa.

Anyways, is it "smarter" what CF does? Maybe, maybe not - I don't have the books in front of me to tell you what the visitation looks like, how they generate spending, etc. But I don't believe that they have "legal" impediments to running many of their coasters for even a half a second. I'm not some naive teenager.

And I'm gonna be perfectly honest, repeat rides on roller coasters in 30 degree weather isn't as amazing the 4th or 5th time around as you might think.

Unless it's the haunt and you're absolutely blasted on Yuengling.

I've never ridden a roller coaster under the influence of alcohol I always assumed it would just make you vomit.

I still need to try blue ice cream.

I've never ridden a roller coaster under the influence of alcohol I always assumed it would just make you vomit.

Nah, bruh. Maybe if you drink too much. The only time I ever got close to being sick was in the dark ride portion of Verbolten. But... I go pretty hard for two park scenarios:

1) Haunts

2) Every trip to BGW

If I feel absolutely miserable the next day the mission is accomplished. Other than that, I'm a pretty conservative drinker in general.

I'll take sub-40 degree rides any day over having a splitting headache from being dehydrated in the 95 degree sun all day. Some of the best rides I've ever had at a park were this past April on Banshee and Beast after dark with temps in the 30s.

Agreed. The last two summers there have been at least one or two park days when I started to get heat exhaustion but at no point have I nearly gotten hypothermia from visiting in the cold. That could also just be a testament to my cold and heat tolerance levels but still.

Also is there even blue ice cream during WinterFest? It looked like the Snoopy place was closed and I'm not aware of anywhere else in park that sells it. If there is then please tell me where.

And I'm gonna be perfectly honest, repeat rides on roller coasters in 30 degree weather isn't as amazing the 4th or 5th time around as you might think.

Whatever you say...

Haha seriously. Weren't both of those were taken during like hour-long sessions? I love the eagle in the first one.

I've said it here before but its always hilarious to me when enthusiasts scoff at riding in the cold, as if other outdoor activities don't exist in the winter. Bundle up and grow a pair.

I've never ridden a roller coaster under the influence of alcohol

Oh god, you haven't lived. We're obviously lit up like a Christmas tree in that second photo.

^Yea, the only blue ice cream item that I am aware of, is the blue ice cream flavored hot chocolate.

Oh man I hope you're wrong because I was really looking forward to the ice cream. I'll have to look into this.

I did confirm that the International Street restaurant is only accessible with a buffet ticket, meaning you can't just go up to see it or just to get a beer/glass of wine. Damn. I get it, though.

^Yea, the only blue ice cream item that I am aware of, is the blue ice cream flavored hot chocolate.

Oh man I hope you're wrong because I was really looking forward to the ice cream. I'll have to look into this.

I did confirm that the International Street restaurant is only accessible with a buffet ticket, meaning you can't just go up to see it or just to get a beer/glass of wine. Damn. I get it, though.

Not sure if this helps....

20181124_221539.thumb.jpg.781f84cd75c0dd8bb7125efdccbaae21.jpg

Went to the park last Saturday and the lines were also nonexistent. The second I walked up to flight of fear, I got on. So, we rode that probably 5-6 times. There was maybe a 2-3 minute wait on Mystic, but mostly it was a walk on.We got about 4 rides in on that. I've been to Winterfest twice this season, but sadly, I don't think I'm planning on going again until next spring.

EDIT - I lied. I just bought my little sister a ticket, so I guess I'll be heading that way next weekend.

Here in the great State of Ohio ("The Buckeye State™", "The Heart of it All™") we only have one amusement park that does a holiday event, Kings Island. Since I work weekends my only real opportunity to try to get to the park was Monday 12/17 or Tuesday 12/18, since the park will be open the full week.

Edit because of tl:dr. Best Western by the park was cool, Winterfest was fun, I love Mystic Timbers.

Edited by operative_me

Hey man, vegans and vegetarians need their stoner food too That being said I was at 2 music festivals over the summer where White Castle was *giving away* the Impossible slider *for free* and the trash cans in the area were filled to the brim since people were taking one bite and tossing them. Nice to cater to everyone, but not everything is a good idea haha.

So after White Castle and a quick stop for air freshener since the air quality of the car interior had plummeted, we continued our journey.

I agree Boo Blasters is frustrating to 'play' and I usually end up just watching and riding. I'd hope a new theme/overhaul is on the horizon soon? It used to be such an amazing dark ride.

Glad you enjoyed Mystic Timbers. Thanks for the report!

Made it down for my first Winterfest experience this past Saturday (Dec 22) and I'll have to admit I really enjoyed myself, about 100x more than I thought I would!

Enough people here have posted tons of pics and I don't really take any when I go to parks but the park really knocked it out with the lights, decorations and re-themes for the shops and food stands. I wasn't even too disappointed in the rides line up. Rode Flight of Fear and Mystic Timbers once each (my nephews took multiple spins thanks to the single rider lines) and a few flats. But once we ate, did the ice skating and shopped around a bit time really flew. If I was local I would definitely hit Winterfest more than once cause for what it is, with the all activities, shows, etc it could could be a multi-day event. In fact I heard multiple families say they would be back next weekend. I think CF really has a winner on their hands.

Personally, I would love to see a few more rides open for next season. I'm sure the new antique cars will be open with lights to drive through. Maybe 1 side of Racer or Backlot. But honestly I didn't even notice the limited ride line up too much just cause I was having such a good time doing everything else available. Didn't even see half the park! Can't wait to see these events grow through out the coming years.

While I very much enjoyed the sliders and the trip down memory lane, one small thing did bother me. The NEW Impossible Slider. Made with that Impossible beef. If you want to be a vegan or vegetarian, more power to you. If you want to live a healthier life, go for it. But White Castle, what the hell are you doing? You've built a long history of being delicious and totally horrible at the same time and NOW YOU ARE THROWING THAT PROUD TRADITION OUT THE WINDOW AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO YOU ARE ANYMORE!

Ok sorry, I'll stop.

Such hate! I actually really like the Impossible sliders, and it has caused me to go to White Castle more. There aren't many fast food places that have vegetarian food, so when it's late at night and nothing else is open (including Subway, my usual go-to) it's nice to know I can get something at White Castle. I think vegetarianism and veganism is catching on (I hope) so I think it's very smart that fast food chains get on board! Also, unless they discontinued them, they used to have veggie burgers and black bean burgers but I guess people didn't order them often because I always had to wait while they defrosted them.

Tonight I was supposed to go to KI with a friend and her daughter for NYE, but with the rain I'm not sure I'm gonna go. Anyone else going?

I went last night for a couple of hours around 10pm and was really happy I did. Not only was it warm (but windy) but the crowds were low because of the rain all day. I walked right on Outer Limits and Mystic Timbers had a 15 minute wait.

It was night and day crowd wise from Friday and Sunday where I walked in saw the line for Timbers and left.