Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

PNE Today ~ Couple of Hours in Playland w/Happy Hour Beer!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Postby Evan-500 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:23 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:^ Cool! (literally) I remember seeing that set up last winter, beside BC Place Stadium. I never went to it to see what it was, but I knew it was a special event thing for the season. And probably mostly for kids and their families, too. There was a ferris wheel as part of it. And everything was in white, too. So maybe I'll make a visit this time 'round. :smile:

As for The Beast ^^....<sighs>. Playland is having an awful time with their rides this season, including the recent shut down of Coaster. And they're not getting rid of (i.e. selling) Corkscrew yet, either.

So it just sits there, SBNO.

What a world, what a world. And the PNE opens in four days? Eep. :?r

And here's the site for the Aurora Winter Festival: https://www.aurorawinterfestival.com/vancouver

I also noticed a new Harvestland Festival link on the PNE site.

I really hope Coaster is open Saturday... we are going to the PNE that day with friends and they insist we do rides. We normally skip ride passes during PNE time... and also unsure how weather will be.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:09 pm

^ I hope so too, for the PNE's sake, heh. I'm planning to hit Playland two more times: tomorrow and then Friday, checking out what's ready on the PNE grounds, etc. But also of course, finding out if Playland is actually "ready" for Saturday's opening.

That said, I am also going to The Fair on Opening Day. I leave around 1130 on transit, and should be there around noon. I do this every year, with a rea$onable two week pass (under $45), and for myself as a "Senior," just a few visits pays for itself. For my first day, I take the clockwise route from the main gate, not going into any of the exhibit buildings. Just casually walking along, taking in everything that's available, including The Food. :wink: And taking photos, too.

I don't ride any of the PNE rides that are brought in by Western Amusements, because a) They are all OLD flat rides. b) They never bring anything in really NEW for The Fair. Unless it's actually something new and OMG-rideable, I won't pay PNE prices for rides. Including Coaster, though I am tempted some time.

My route takes me right over to the Coliseum, then down Miller Drive past the Agrodome, stables and farm exhibits (on my right). Leading into (what's now called) Revel District, then into Playland on the West Coast Wheel's side. I'll probably hit the Ride Side Bar for a brew, then continue on around Playland. Then, back past where the Doll Factory haunt house is, put the big park on my left, and I head uphill, through the FOOD STALLS ALLEY (what I call it), over to Festival Park....and I am essentially done.

So if you guys want to "run into me," that's my basic Opening Day Route. And you already know what I look like, it's no big deal, you coming up and saying hi. I look old, gray hair/beard, mean and miserable.....but am approachable, LOL. :smile:

P.S. If it happens to be somewhat rainy on Saturday, I'll be
running around in my red poncho from Nagashima Spaland, Japan.
IMG_9531.JPG
Small reminder of who to look for. Without the neon ...on. (o;
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:25 pm

"Three Days To Go..."

Nice day today at Playland. Coaster and Beast were still down, so I really don't think they'll make it, to be running for Opening Day this Saturday. Ah well. Stuff happens.
IMG_9972.JPG
Well, those blue fences are definitely up and around the perimater of the PNE Grounds.
So no "sneak peek of "anything PNEish" for me.
IMG_9974.JPG
Yep. All the way to the PNE Main Entrance Gate.
IMG_9975.JPG
Western Amusement vehicles. I find out they've brought the same crappy flat rides for this year's Fair. <sighs>
IMG_9976.JPG
Ad at Playland bus stop, using Coaster for it's own public relations. Nice shot, though.
IMG_9977.JPG
Yeah. Well...
IMG_9978.JPG
I don't ride it much, any more. But it's still sad to see it not running. )o:
IMG_9979.JPG
More PNE Games set up.
IMG_9981.JPG
Woo hoo, "Ring The Bell" for kids!
IMG_9982.JPG
What's this? What's this?
IMG_9985.JPG
It's running! It's running! So I rode it three times!!! (o;
IMG_9987.JPG
The (not so) secret passageway is still open, beside the Glass House.
IMG_9989.JPG
Back of the Roll-A-Ball game truck. I'm in the queue for the West Coast Wheel, and once the PNE starts,
you can't see anything from the queue, until you're on the Wheel. Games trucks block off your POV. Sucks.
IMG_9990.JPG
Nice seeing The Twins, again.
IMG_9994.JPG
Hmmm. Looks like the Poutine Place (black) will be sharing space with Henry's Chicken BBQ (red/white).
IMG_9995.JPG
SBNO <sad>
IMG_9997.JPG
Gawd, that awful Haunted Mansion dark ride is back! That's a pass from me.
IMG_9998.JPG
"The Caboose is down. I repeat... The Caboose is down!"
IMG_9999.JPG
"Arrrrrrr.......gots no skin on me!"
IMG_9999a.JPG
IMG_9999b.JPG
What I find silly is, the "specialty popcorn" is bagged in, and NOT popped in that popper there. I mean WTF?
IMG_9999cEND.JPG
Last Shot - Spinner going nuts.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:35 pm

"Two Days To Go..."

Here's a a few more food items (and one sweet cocktail) to have at this year's PNE - opening Saturday!

Chana Tater Tots – Travel the world at the Fair and get a taste of India from Wiggle Chips! These crispy tater tots are topped with sliced onion, green chilies, diced tomato, chickpeas and sliced chicken, all tossed in a house-made chana masala sauce and garnished with fresh coriander and ginger. Did we get you hungry yet?

Italian Pizza Perogies – You’ll definitely want a piz-za this from International Perogies. This is the perfect dish if you don’t want to get your hands dirty from pizzas and still want the taste of Italy all in one plate.

Banana Bread French Toast & Bacon Pancake Dippers
– Get breakfast all day at Stacks Bacon Pancake House! These brunchy bites are great choices for those who crave sweet and savoury flavours.

The Mighty Zeus Onion – It’s a whole onion cut and dipped in homemade batter and garnished with green pepper, red onion, tomato, feta cheese and much more from The Onion Factory. Onion breath may be included.

Tipsy Unicorn – It’s as magical as it sounds. This colourful, smoking cocktail will be sure to make your Fair experience a special one. And it looks good on Instagram.
ChanaTaterTots-India.png
Chana Tater Tots
PizzaPierogies-Italy.png
Italian Pizza Perogies
FrenchToast-PancakeDippers.png
The-Mighty-Zeus-Onion.jpg
The Mighty Zeus Onion
TipsyUnicorn.png
The Tipsy Unicorn

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby SoCalJasonland » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:59 pm

Pickle dog episode was on again today. I guess it is just a way to use dill relish in a corn dog.
20190815_135506.jpg
20190815_135425.jpg
20190815_135454.jpg
I saw your eyes
And you made me smile
For a little while
I was falling in love

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Evan-500 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:"Two Days To Go..."

Here's a a few more food items (and one sweet cocktail) to have at this year's PNE - opening Saturday!

Chana Tater Tots – Travel the world at the Fair and get a taste of India from Wiggle Chips! These crispy tater tots are topped with sliced onion, green chilies, diced tomato, chickpeas and sliced chicken, all tossed in a house-made chana masala sauce and garnished with fresh coriander and ginger. Did we get you hungry yet?

Italian Pizza Perogies – You’ll definitely want a piz-za this from International Perogies. This is the perfect dish if you don’t want to get your hands dirty from pizzas and still want the taste of Italy all in one plate.

– Get breakfast all day at Stacks Bacon Pancake House! These brunchy bites are great choices for those who crave sweet and savoury flavours.

The Mighty Zeus Onion – It’s a whole onion cut and dipped in homemade batter and garnished with green pepper, red onion, tomato, feta cheese and much more from The Onion Factory. Onion breath may be included.

Tipsy Unicorn – It’s as magical as it sounds. This colourful, smoking cocktail will be sure to make your Fair experience a special one. And it looks good on Instagram.

I emailed in, sounds like they don’t know yet if Coaster will be open Saturday. Which comes across to me as a no. It’s also marked on site as closed, as is The Beast... so they just be prepping for it to be down.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:41 pm

^^ That looks waaay more manageable than I what I got two years ago!
As you saw in a previous post, the one I got surely could feed two people, lol! With fries. :wink:

^ Yeah, well, it looks not too good for Playland this PNE. At the beginning of it, any way. So, are you and your friends still planning to go to The Fair on Saturday? I'm still going, just to check everything out, etc. And eat some food! And have a drink or two. But no rides.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Evan-500 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:43 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:^^ That looks waaay more manageable than I what I got two years ago!
As you saw in a previous post, the one I got surely could feed two people, lol! With fries. :wink:

^ Yeah, well, it looks not too good for Playland this PNE. At the beginning of it, any way. So, are you and your friends still planning to go to The Fair on Saturday? I'm still going, just to check everything out, etc. And eat some food! But no rides.

Yeah we’re still going. It’s semi her bday celebration, and can still do other rides that are fun I guess. We’ll make the call once we get here as we will buy the 30% off passes through BCAA on our phone. I figure with the weather possibly being overcast and drizzly that it may be a lower crowd day. Excited to check out the return of the nightly pyro/dance show.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:04 pm

^ Cool. Well, maybe you'll run into me, more than I will, into you.
And your friends. And the semi-birthday girl.

Or you can stalk me if you wish to. Your choice. ;)

P.S. Weather forecast just called for "drizzle" on early Sat, then sun/cloud for Sat-Sunday. :smile:
P.P.S. Remember - I am The Oldest TPR member, who will admit it, in town!
(And probably several other Cdn/U.S./World cities, too.)

Take that, as you see fit. :)

P.P.P.S. Happy 14th Anniversary to Me, having been a member of TPR since.....2005!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:55 pm

"You're older than Blue Streak?!?!?!?!"

:p
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!