Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

2017 Ads: "Ads That Move", on a moving transit vehicle...
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:06 pm

=)

"After Stuffed Animals Ride Coasters...."

So lately, several parks started posting videos of stuffed animals on one of their coasters. Walibi Holland did the first one (with teddy bears) I saw. Then, Grona Lund followed (with unicorns). Belmont Park in San Diego, too (variety). But.... what happens after these Arcade Game 'stuffies' get off that coaster?

This was one of my favourite Playland ad campaigns. And a lot of other people liked it too. So much so, they made a postcard set of it all! And I happily have a set, bought from the old gift shop Playland used to have. By the way, I do hope they come up with a new Playland Gift Shop, when the "New "Playland" opens in several years from now.

Here's the set. They came out in 2013. And also...doesn't that last one look a bit....familiar? :wink:
Stuffies01-2013.jpg
B--Arf!
Stuffies02.jpg
Monkey See, Monkey Do....Monkey Regret.
Stuffies03.jpg
This little piggy went a-coastering.
Stuffies04.jpg
Turtle shell-shock.
Stuffies05.jpg
Is... is that you, Grover?
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby ricklap77 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:58 am

I read somewhere the Corkscrew coaster has been sold. Any idea where it's going!?

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby southpuddle » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:04 am

Is Playland’s marketing director an 8 year old boy? So much of Playland’s marketing seems (or seemed) to revolve around vomiting. Strange since I don’t think most people find barfing to be a pleasurable experience or something the park necessarily wants people to associate with a visit to Playland, but maybe that’s just one more Canadian quirk to add to the list?

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:00 am

^^ At a Playland/PNE info.meeting several months back, I asked one of the PNE officials what was happening with Corkscrew. She told me that up to that time, there was no buyer for it, and so they took it all down. End of explanation. So, unless it has been sold since that meeting, the whole thing has been probably scrapped, and that was that.

^ Yeah, you would think that's what we Canadians love to do - throw up after riding coasters and rides, lol. It's just one way of attracting attention to Playland, itself. And since it's an independent park, they can get away with this kind of advertising. So far. Also, I have assembled all these ads together, for one ongoing showing. So it does point out the many various ways they can show one, how to "lose it". :wink:
DontToss.png

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Johnlloyd » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:59 am

southpuddle wrote:Is Playland’s marketing director an 8 year old boy? So much of Playland’s marketing seems (or seemed) to revolve around vomiting. Strange since I don’t think most people find barfing to be a pleasurable experience or something the park necessarily wants people to associate with a visit to Playland, but maybe that’s just one more Canadian quirk to add to the list?

For the past 14 years, Rethink Communications has been creating many of the advertisements for Playland. They definitely create many advertisements that are not only interesting but ones that also capture people's attention. More of the work that they have done for Playland can be found on their website. :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:07 pm

^Besides their print/outdoors ads, they do some pretty fun radio ads and videos for television , too. :smile:

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Johnlloyd » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:17 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:^Besides their print/outdoors ads, they do some pretty fun radio ads and videos for television , too. :smile:

Yes, I came across those while looking on their website! It'll be interesting to see what they come up with in the future. :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby SoCalJasonland » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:44 pm

ricklap77 wrote:I read somewhere the Corkscrew coaster has been sold. Any idea where it's going!?

I don't know if this is station or track but here are some demo photos from the forum about half-way down the page. It doesn't look like they saved the coaster.

by Kamui » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:22 pm

https://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45028&start=1010
I love to roam where the wild things are.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:31 pm

^ I followed up Kamui's posting, and went to Playland myself, at the beginning of February.
Found nothing but rubble at that time. Now since then, and since everything in the world "stopped"
for medical reasons/safety .... who knows what the site looks like, nowadays?

Maybe when Playland hopefully opens on July 1st, we'll find out.

For now, I am FANtasizing that they're already constructing The New Coaster that's supposed to be unveiled in a year or three. :wink:
IMG_1988.JPG
Feb.01/2020

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:55 pm

Here are three Playland ads that aren't just "outdoor ads." They're pretty unique, and two of them take billboard advertising to a new level of wierdness, lol. The one in the middle .... well, I just wish I was downtown to see these "ads" for The Beast, when it opened in 2015.

Enjoy.
OutdoorAd01-1999.jpg
(1999)
OutdoorAd02-2015.png
(2015)
OutdoorAd03-2017.jpg
(2017) And no, your eyes aren't out of focus.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!