Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

P. 138: Disney Springs Reopening Date Set!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:38 pm

Can truffles be found, in the U.S.A? Or North America, for that matter? Just curious about it.

And I could just look it up, but I much prefer the more interesting answers from TPR members. =)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:Can truffles be found, in the U.S.A? Or North America, for that matter? Just curious about it.

And I could just look it up, but I much prefer the more interesting answers from TPR members. =)

You got me curious, too! There are quite a few states surprisingly......including Tennessee, Ca, N.C., Oregon... & B.C! I came across a very interesting article in a past Wall Street Journal issue: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-elusive-american-black-truffle-1518264060. For a little adventure, you can even join a truffle hunt in some areas! The Truffle Dog Company sponsors guided truffle hunting experiences in truffle season. They take you to an actual truffle patch where guides and their dogs will show you how it's done! =) (Unfortunately no truffles in NYC, so my dog will just have to enjoy sharing my store-bought truffle cheese with me. No hunting classes, dang! :lol: )

Alice

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:43 pm

^ omg.... in BC...? :shockr: Now I must look that up, LOL!

And.... I just did!

Truffles are cultivated on three farms across B.C., where Mediterranean truffles (including Perigord) are grown by cultivating them at the roots of orchard trees, typically hazelnuts trees. While the Italian pure breed dog Lagotto Romagnolo is the most famous for hunting truffles, Berch said any breed has potential. Feb 26, 2019

Apparently grown in the southern part of the province, and on Vancouver Island! I did not know that.
the_more_you_know.gif
(Pardon this truffle sidebar.)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I Love Donkeys!

Postby coasternut79 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:32 pm

So at what point should I be worried my trip in April is in jeopardy due to the coronavirus? With each passing day it's looking more and more likely we will have a larger scale outbreak which worries me that it will peak in a month or so about the time we are scheduled to go.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:54 pm

Nobody knows.

More than 80,000 Americans died of the flu in the winter of 2017-2018. Disney didn't close, it wasn't on the news 24-7 and there was no mass panic. Most Americans didn't even care enough to get a flu shot. No sane individual would have considered canceling their trip. Now? We have 9 deaths, all seniors or people with compromised immune systems and it's the absolute end of the world. We have no idea what the "death rate" is but logic would tell you that it's well below half a percent since it's 0.65% in South Korea just with the cases that they know about but they know that most cases are so mild that people don't even realize that they have it so the rate is almost definitely much lower. As an aside, I always look at their numbers since they have a great healthcare system and it's a larger sample size than most other countries.

For me, the actual concern isn't with the virus itself but the incredible likelihood that Americans will do what they always do and panic for no reason, forcing the parks to close for PR purposes. Unfortunately there's no way to predict what will happen there, but I can tell you that I have zero faith in our ability as a society to be objective or rational at all so I wouldn't be feeling overly optimistic either.

One thing I will say is that if the hysteria continues but the parks stay open (and I hope that they do) I would spend a lot of time leading up to the trip checking that app constantly for great Fastpasses dropping from people canceling their trips in a panic.
Last edited by coasterbill on Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:57 pm.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby oriolat » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:40 pm

coasterbill wrote:Nobody knows.

More than 80,000 Americans died of the flu in the winter of 2017-2018. Disney didn't close, it wasn't on the news 24-7 and there was no mass panic. Most Americans didn't even care enough to get a flu shot. No sane individual would have considered canceling their trip. Now? We have 9 deaths, all seniors or people with compromised immune systems and it's the absolute end of the world. We have no idea what the "death rate" is but logic would tell you that it's well below half a percent since it's 0.65% in South Korea just with the cases that they know about but they know that most cases are so mild that people don't even realize that they have it so the rate is almost definitely much lower. As an aside, I always look at their numbers since they have a great healthcare system and it's a larger sample size than most other countries.

For me, the actual concern isn't with the virus itself but the incredible likelihood that Americans will do what they always do and panic for no reason, forcing the parks to close for PR purposes. Unfortunately there's no way to predict what will happen there, but I can tell you that I have zero faith in our ability as a society to be objective or rational at all so I wouldn't be feeling overly optimistic either.

One thing I will say is that if the hysteria continues but the parks stay open (and I hope that they do) I would spend a lot of time leading up to the trip checking that app constantly for great Fastpasses dropping from people canceling their trips in a panic.

Post of the year.

Coronavirus is the greatest example of lack of common sense and hysteria created by the media. Hopefully, people will learn that sanitizing their hands and using a mask is not a matter of coronavirus, but a matter of everyday health.

I would also enjoy parks at this time, as they will probably be less crowded, and thus much more enjoyable.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby coasternut79 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:53 pm

I agree with you about the hysteria. I’m not worried about it myself other than it affecting my trip. Hopefully they stay open and the crowds stay away!

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby Mike240SX » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:46 pm

coasternut79 wrote:I agree with you about the hysteria. I’m not worried about it myself other than it affecting my trip. Hopefully they stay open and the crowds stay away!

Really? You're not worried about it? Then why do you talk about in every single post you make?
-Mike
Total Coasters: 145
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:46 pm

Because he’s worried about the hysteria surround it impacting his trip, which is a legitimate concern. We’re holding off on booking anything non-refundable for our honeymoon in a few months because we’re waiting to see if the world comes to it’s senses by then. I can sympathize.
Last edited by coasterbill on Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:03 pm.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Garet » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:47 pm

So as someone who is in Korea, I can tell you that although there is fear as far as parks are concerned it comes down to money and the economy just as much or maybe even more than fear. Fear just sells more headlines.

We have friends unpaid in the factories of big companies because of a shortage of parts or because one worker came into contact with someone who had the virus and is quarantined and the government wants it closed for decontamination and a precaution. YOu hear of people who were sent to China despite the outbreak on a business trip which couldn't be delayed only to land and find Korea had jumped 600 cases and the China side of the business locking them in the hotel since they've mostly contained theirs to Hubei area (I think they had 11 cases outside the area and 7 of those were actually Chinese tourists who caught it in Italy. The kicker is Korea will also quarantine when they come back for 2 weeks so people will miss almost a month of work.

For example, and I don't say this out of pity but to show why we don't go to the parks in Korea right now, I teach young kids in a private school so one place that is most heavily affected since that is where fear can come into it.
Our school closed the last week of February so parents had to get a refund for that and of course no one paid for March. We were supposed to be closed for 2 weeks but the government 'strongly advised' that schools reopen March 23. But literally, as I typed this the cases here jumped by 500 so I really don't know when I'll be back at work. Nearly 90% of all those cases are in a different area and there's only 100 in the whole of Seoul total throughout this crisis so far but it's enough to shut us down.

I know it was brought up how Tokyo was busy before the shutdown but as far as I'm aware their jobs and economy were business as usual. For a lot of people, not just the education sector, it comes down to: How long will this last? How much unpaid time off will I have to take? Will I have a job to go back to? (Some places have seen a 90% sales drop but still have rent to pay.) Will we end up having to take 2 weeks more unpaid if a student/parent/customer comes into contact with a patient and government shuts the business/shop/school?

I'm not saying this to get pity just giving you an example as someone in an outbreak. For people like me, we cut every unnecessary spending to see our families through (I don't know how many students I'll even have left when I do return to work for this reason) and that includes going to the parks. If you're not getting paid, you're not going to be spending on park tickets. People are going to be looking at their travel plans and seeing if they can still afford it.

On the park's side, all it takes is one infected visitor and they'll be national headlines, a PR crisis, and fear all over their name driving down numbers even more than they are. If the government tells them to close there's a risk of all that, they're going to take it.

I'm starting to think we need a coronavirus thread listing closures and where people can discuss their thoughts and fears.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!