Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 840 - SFA Reopening July 3!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Gimme Some Candy!

Re: Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterfreak101 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:07 am

^I actually thought that they helped Gwazi (and Wildcat) quite a bit, at least at first. They're not a miracle cure, and it's up to the park to keep up with their off-season maintenance - I think that's where Six Flags actually does a good job with Roar, so I think those Flyers could really work out well for a few years.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Location: El Toro, back seat, crossing over what used to be Rolling Thunder

Postby Oryp » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:31 pm

coasterfreak101 wrote:^I actually thought that they helped Gwazi (and Wildcat) quite a bit, at least at first. They're not a miracle cure, and it's up to the park to keep up with their off-season maintenance - I think that's where Six Flags actually does a good job with Roar, so I think those Flyers could really work out well for a few years.

Six Flags really has worked miracles with Roar over the past few offseasons. This year, it's been genuinely enjoyable for more than half the rides I've had on it. I think Millennium Flyers plus a little bit more retracking in a few spots would be perfect.

While we're talking new trains, how about some for Superman and Mind Eraser? Both of those could be far better with newer trains/restraint systems.
Count: 199
Skyrush | Intimidator 305 | Maverick | Superman: The Ride | Millenium Force
Outlaw Run | El Toro | Boulder Dash | Thunderhead | Phoenix

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:40 pm

Hopefully sometime in the future Roar will get its own RMC rendition.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Highridin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:26 am

Oryp wrote:
coasterfreak101 wrote:^I actually thought that they helped Gwazi (and Wildcat) quite a bit, at least at first. They're not a miracle cure, and it's up to the park to keep up with their off-season maintenance - I think that's where Six Flags actually does a good job with Roar, so I think those Flyers could really work out well for a few years.

Six Flags really has worked miracles with Roar over the past few offseasons. This year, it's been genuinely enjoyable for more than half the rides I've had on it. I think Millennium Flyers plus a little bit more retracking in a few spots would be perfect.

While we're talking new trains, how about some for Superman and Mind Eraser? Both of those could be far better with newer trains/restraint systems.

I agree with this, especially with mind eraser.
Top 3 steel: Skyrush, Twisted Timbers, I305
Top 3 wood: El Toro, Twister, Wild One

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby bill_s » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:49 am

My impression is Millenium Flyers make all rows equal. The wheel seats are gone, but the non-wheel seats are actually slightly worse, because the row behind you doesn't take most of the punishment. The real thing to do with them is use them before the track is damaged by PTCs.

As to Roar, love it.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:46 am

If Six Flags has been maintaining the track well as said in some of the discussion before me, the Millennium Flyer trains should work pretty well for Roar. I never found it to be a bad ride, I actually found it quite enjoyable.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:08 am

Highridin wrote:If it's a nice day with no threat for rain, the lines can be long, especially the Bonzai Pipelines. Can u get at least one slide per slide by 5? Maybe, but you may need more time if you want to do 'every' slide (all 6 on Bonzai, all 4 on Zoomazon Falls, both sharks, etc). Too me, no slide over there should be missed. I like them all, and they never get old. Well, the one in the pool (lazy river pool) can be missed. I'm looking forward to your comments on Bonzai and the shark slides! Try your best not to let go of the tube In the reef runner. There are some turns in there where it feels like that you are going to go upside down, but will not! To get your best (more fun) ride on the big purple/green slide that sits 4 people, sit so you are going backwards; good times. Sucks carrying the raft up the stairs though.

If you want to crap your pants, Tornado , Bonzai, and maybe the Orange shark slide is your poison :devil: Have a good time. I love the water park. I actually may be there Sunday too. If I were you I would do it first. When the park first opens, lines are not that bad for the first hour or so.

One word of caution on Bonzai. I think it's the Orange slide that has some kind of ripple in the middle. You'll get a slight hit on the back of the head. It shouldn't hurt really, but it'll be a surprise. Also, 'HOLD' your nose closed! You'll see what I mean. Have fun watching people walk back down the stairs once they see people drop down the tubes. :lmao:

Thanks again for the words of advice--our visit Sunday went very smoothly. We had no problem processing the SP for a friend under the name of the purchaser, if you were wondering, and got the other two in for $30 each.
We got into the water park first thing at 11, and quickly rode Tornado, the Shark slides, Bonzai, Zoomazon Falls, Halfpipe, as well as the two slides past Tornado (don't remembee the names off the top of my head). Our favoties were Tornado and the slides nearby. I enjoyed Bonzai (and didn't wait at all), but it was just so short and jarring that it wasn't quite as fun as the others IMO.
Overall, we really enjoyed the waterpark. I would consider going back this summer on a day as hot as Sunday (100 degrees), but I'm not in a huge rush to get back. If the 2016 expansion includes a new slide or slide complex I'll definitely go back next summer, though the cleared area doesn't look big enough for a kiddie area and a major addition.

After this, we decided to ride some of the coasters for a couple hours. Since they had never been, we rode Wild One, Superman, Jokers Jinx, and Mind Eraser (we were nearby after riding the Rapids, not my choice). We also waited on the bridge of Shipwreck falls because the line was probably almost 30 minutes long which is insane for a shoot the chutes ride.
Most of the coasters had station waits or shorter which wasn't bad at all for a Sunday. Superman was only running one train which is questionable for a Sunday with a line just outside the station, though.
A fun visit overall and the park looked very clean and moderately busy, though more concentrated in the water park. I'm excited to see the 2016 additions and I hope I'm not disappointed after a small investment for 2015.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby coasterkid124 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:14 am

Oryp wrote:While we're talking new trains, how about some for Superman and Mind Eraser? Both of those could be far better with newer trains/restraint systems.

Has your guys' Superman been running a little rough this year as well? At Darien Lake, I think that this year the ride has felt a little bumpier and rattily; although I usually ride in the back. Seeing that these were the first Intamin hypercoasters built, the trains could either use major refurb, or new ones altogether.

If anything, I would like to see the trains go away with the current restraints, as my legs always bash against the side brackets.
I'm actually not a kid; it's my nickname. I'm the youngest guy at my job. Only until after I created my account did I realize it made my sound like I'm 12. "Giddy up"- Cosmo Kramer Finally got an avatar!
Darien Lake coaster drought: 16 years and counting.....

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby FlyGuy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:53 am

coasterkid124 wrote:
Oryp wrote:While we're talking new trains, how about some for Superman and Mind Eraser? Both of those could be far better with newer trains/restraint systems.

Has your guys' Superman been running a little rough this year as well? At Darien Lake, I think that this year the ride has felt a little bumpier and rattily; although I usually ride in the back. Seeing that these were the first Intamin hypercoasters built, the trains could either use major refurb, or new ones altogether.

If anything, I would like to see the trains go away with the current restraints, as my legs always bash against the side brackets.

Ive ridden Superman twice this season and it was honestly pretty good. Although this was my first time riding it since 2013. However I feel like superman is starting to creep up the lifthill very slow now.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:57 am

FlyGuy wrote:
coasterkid124 wrote:

Ive ridden Superman twice this season and it was honestly pretty good. Although this was my first time riding it since 2013. However I feel like superman is starting to creep up the lifthill very slow now.

They actually sped up the lift chain considerably around Fright Fest 2014, and I believe it is still running at that faster speed. Even still it's an old Intamin hyper and the lift is still nowhere near the speed of their modern cable lifts. It used to be far worse though.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!